Walk You Home

Walk You Home

A Story by James Cacciatore
"

It's a rainy Fourth of July, and after a night of fireworks, Anthony must walk his girlfriend home through rough neighborhoods, and tension heightened by beef from the Pennsport Boys and Marconi Gang.

"
Walk You Home

The rain poured, pounding on car windows, and painting over the streets with a fine layer of water. Shoes splashed in puddles as people rushed to where they needed to go. On most rainy days, people hurried inside to escape being drenched, going from one indoor location to another. However today, people rushed out, to light off fireworks, sparklers, and poppers. The air was filled was filled with the sounds of echoing booms. It was the Fourth of July, the day of America’s independence, a little rain wasn’t going to ruin anybody’s day

And especially not in the city of Philadelphia. To not celebrate Independence Day in the city where Independence was declared, well, it was a sin. All across the city, families celebrated. In Center City, tourists gathered to see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the whole nine. When the sun began to set however, everyone tried to gather at Penn’s Landing. People gathered along the riverfront, and across the Deleware in Camden, New Jersey, an elaborate and beautiful fireworks show was ready to be set off.

Everyone struggled to find a place to sit, preferably to be shielded from the rain, which has died down from earlier in the day. There were benches, lawn chairs, and some even sat on walls. One park in particular in Penn’s Landing held most of the festivities. The trees of the park were decorated with bright patriotic lights, which illuminated the park. There were vendors serving food, beer, and souvenirs. In one such vendor selling ice cream, a lucky young couple from South Philly found their seats at a small table for two.

Anthony and Brianna, both sixteen, were going on strong for about almost a year now. There relationship lasting since they first got to high school. They were the power couple among their friends, two perfect beings, almost forming one themselves, inseparable. They’ve had their bumps along the road, and even some leading to huge fights, but they’ve pulled through, supporting each other.

“So, I told Casey right,” Brianna starts, talking about her last soccer practice, “if you want to be apart of this team you have to run, and all she does is complain, like if you’re playing a sport, you’re gonna run, and she’s all saying ‘oh we shouldn’t have to run! This shouldn’t be legal! I’ll get my daddy on this coach I swear to God!’”

Anthony heard her, looking her in the eye as she spoke, but he was not listening. His mind wandered, thinking about her, and their relationship. He knew he was lucky to have her, and that a boy like him, was able to get a girl like her. She was beautiful, but wasn’t any just pretty dumb ditz either, she was smart. She always was on his a*s about some stuff, but he loved that he had her to keep him in check. Anthony loved how passionate she was about soccer, but still missed he when she had to go to practice all week.

“You know what I mean right?” She asks Anthony and he snaps back to reality.

“Oh yeah right, I mean Casey should put more work in if she wants to play soccer.” He tells her, saving himself.

“Right, I just don’t need this stress you know, I want to be able to start this year, I’m not a freshman anymore.” She tells him, and he nods, taking a sip of his milkshake. “I’m sorry, I’m just ranting, I mean, you been alright?” She asks him.

“Yeah, I just been missing you. Since you’ve been going to practice again.” He tells her and she laughs.

“Ant, you still visit me everyday though.” She tells him.

“Well, yeah, but it’s not long enough, I need you all day!” He says, half joking.

“Oh get over yourself, you’ll live.” She tells him, and he takes another sip of his milkshake. Brianna swirls her smoothie with her straw.

“I can’t stand these tourists, why do they have to all bunch up here, how do they think this is fun. They’re ruining this all for us that actually live here!” Anthony rants. “I mean I know this is like the most American city and s**t like that, but still it’s annoying.”

Brianna heard him, but she was not listening, and her mind wandered. She thought about Anthony, and wondered why the hell she fell for this idiot. Anthony wasn’t the brightest, or even the most great looking guy out there. He didn’t always listen to her, and couldn’t understand her feelings sometimes. He wasn’t the best with his advice when she needed to talk. However, Anthony to her, was still the perfect boy, even if he was far from perfection. He loved her and only her, and would die for her. She secretly missed him too.

“I mean you know what I’m saying.” Anthony asks her, and she snaps to.

“Oh yeah, these tourists are nothing but clowns.” She tells him.

“Tourists what? I ask you about Philly.” He tells her and her face stiffens “You weren’t even listening!” He scolds her.

“We neither were you when I was talking about my coach and you were all like ‘Oh yeah that Casey girl should work harder what a b***h!” She mocks. They look at each other, locked in a sort of staring contest, waiting to see who would break first. Simultaneously, they burst out laughing. They lay their hands on the table, and they meet. In that moment, their hearts fill, almost bursting. They weren’t perfect, but were perfect for each other.

“You wanna go sit somewhere else?” Brianna asks him.

“Sure.” He barely answers, when she takes his hand and pulls him away. The rain hits them as they leave the cover of the awning. They push through the crowd, all wringing wet, and soon, they were soaked again from the rain.

“Hey you two!” A tourist with an accent calls to them, they turn to him. “For the young beautiful couple.” He tells them, handing Brianna an umbrella.”

“Oh, thanks man.” Anthony nods to him. The man hold up the drink in his hand.

Peut aimer remplir votre avenir.” He says, and takes a drink. Anthony thanks him again as Brianna pulls him away

They find a ledge to sit on near the river’s edge, mostly away from all of the tourists. Brianna happily opens up her new umbrella, smiling at her gift. The water below there feet pushes on the bank, slashing, and jumping. It shines and shimmers from the light of the buildings and the Bridge spanning the river.

“You see! Not all tourists are bad!” She tells him, happily shielded from the rain. And sits, hair dripping.

“Oh shut up.” He says and kisses her. They do for a while, the people around them seem to fade, and the world only held them two. After a while, they were startled by the loud sound of an explosion. Anthony almost falling in the water, repositions himself, looking over the river, and the sky was filling with brilliant light. The fireworks were beautiful, and reflected in the river. The only sound being the booms and they cheering of the crowds.

Brianna lay her head on Anthony’s shoulder, and they watched the fireworks in awed silence. They were big, and amazing. The sky around it filled with smoke and ash. Anthony intertwined his hand with hers, it was wet, and a bit cold, but it was hers, besides, not her fault it rained. He knew she loved it anyway, while it was just a wet annoyance to him, it calmed her down, and was peaceful, forceful as it could be.

Walking back after the show was mostly silent until they reached the I-95 overpass. The highway boomed over them with traffic, added with the boom of the fireworks being set off  all around the city. It was dry, very well lit. The underneath of the highway mostly acted as a parking lot for the houses and stores that lined either side of it, so it was mostly safe to walk under, and was preferable in the rain.

“Hey Bri,” Anthony starts, “you mind if we stop at Furness?” He asks her.

She glares at him. “A little, why do you need to go there?” she asks him accusingly.

“Well, I got to see Logan and Alex.” He tells her. She just shrugs.

Furness was a school, but at night, and especially during the summer, it’s yard turned into the hangout spot for the Pennsport Boys. The Pennsport Boys being the kids who lived, and represented the neighborhood of Pennsport. They were a wild bunch, loved drinking, and occasionally sparring off with another neighborhood.

“Actually you know what,” Brianna says, “I think I do wanna stop at Furness, because I need to have a little talk with Logan.”

“What for?” He asks her, playing dumb. Anthony knew what she wanted to talk to him about.

“Because I need to put his a*s in place!” She snaps. “He started all this bullshit with Marconi, and he’s gonna get himself and his buddies all killed or jumped.”

“No, Bri, it’s not just that, he didn’t get in that fight with that Marconi kid for no reason.” Anthony tells her.

“Oh you’re right, because he was probably drunk.” She says.

“Oh c’mon, we were all drunk, they started it, I just.” Anthony starts but catches himself.

“Wait, you were there!?” She stops in her tracks, and gives him her signature look of death.

“Well, I mean I guess, I just.” He stutters

I, uh, I don’t, I just.” She mocks him, she did that a lot. “Were you fighting too?” She asks him.

“I mean, yeah. I was.” He tells her. She glares at him for a bit before storming off. “Wait, Brianna come on, where are you going?” He shouts to her.

“To kill Logan, and then kill you.” She says bluntly. Anthony starts walking toward her, making chase.

“No Bri please, it’s not his fault.” He tries to defend.

“Yes it was, and I am going to murder him.” She says. She keeps on walking at a fast pace, determined to get to Furness.

In the schoolyard, a bunch of boys and a few girls were all gathered, sitting on some steps on the side of the large brown brick building. Laughs and jokes were passed around, along with a bunch of forties of beers. Bottles were clinked, and swished with foamy amber liquid. The girls stood under an awning near on of the doors, smoking cigarettes.

Logan Cavaliere and Alex Royal were locked in an intense game of quarters. Alex labeled it as “hard mode” because of the rain, which fell on their make shift table. A small crowd of boys were surrounding them, cheering them on. The girls over by the door rolling their eyes at them. At the edge of the yard, an angry and almost charging Brianna entered through the gate. Her footsteps splashing in the rain. Logan sees her from the corner of his eye and smiles at his approaching friend, but his smile doesn’t last long when he sees her face.

“Oh my god Bri are you okay?” He starts, but Brianna attacks him.

“DON’T YOU EVER LET MY BOYFRIEND GET INVOLVED IN YOUR STUPID F****N’ FIGHTS BECAUSE I WILL KILL YOU I SWEAR TO GOD YOU F****N’ DRUNK.!” She snaps, her fists repeatedly swinging and pounding his chest and arms as he desperately tries to shield the barrage of fists.

“Woah, young boul Ant’s girl is goin’ nuts bro!” One of the guys jokes and they laugh. Brianna stops assaulting Logan and turns to them threateningly. They shut up and back away.

“Brianna stop it.” Anthony comes up running, and grabs her, she slaps him.

“No, I told him! And I told you! I don’t want youse fighting! And he gets you involved in this!” She scolds the both of them. Anthony and Logan look at each other, embarrassed.

“Listen Brianna, it wasn’t like that.” Logan tries to say but Brianna shuts him up.

“No, I don’t wanna hear any of your bullshit excuses!” She snaps.

Alex steps up from the crowd. “Anthony was just trying to defend you, so chill out!” Alex tells her, and Brianna backs up in shock.

“What do you mean defend me?” She asks “And don’t ever talk to me like that again!”

Logan jumps in. “Listen, Anthony was trying to break it up you know?” Logan tells her. “I mean sure, I’m a dickhead for trying to start it, but Anthony broke it all up, then Mark Pinciotti came up saying what he’ll do to you and he’ll have you screaming his name.”

“That pig!” Brianna shouts in anger.

“Yeah, and you know what Anthony did?” Logan asks her. “He knocked his a*s out!”

Brianna calms down and manages to crack a smile. “Okay, and then what?” She asks.

“Oh he went ballistic, he picked him up off the ground and started wailing on him! It was great, obviously he learned from the best.” Logan says in almost admiration. “So proud of my young boul.” Logan pretends to wipe away tears.

Brianna looks up at Anthony, who hasn’t moved an inch since Brianna snapped at him. She just hugs him. “Okay, I’ll make an exception for this time.” She mumbles in his shirt.

“Wait, really? I’m off the hook.” He asks her, she pushes off of him.

“No, I didn’t say that.” She starts but Anthony just smiles.

“Hey boys, I’m off the hook!” He calls to them and they cheer, and Brianna laughs, and starts hitting Anthony in the arm.

“I hate you Anthony Sorvano.” She tells him.

“I love you too Brianna Banrion.” He tells her, she kisses him.

The boys behind them all give an “aw”

Alex raises his forty “Yeah get it Ant!” He calls and Brianna laughs, embarrassed.

“Can we go now?” Brianna asks Anthony. He nods.

“Yeah, I think it’s about time.” He tells her. They both wave to everyone else “We’re out.” Ant tells them, and the boys cheer, even the girls seem to smile as they head off. As they walk off, Logan and Alex go back to their game. The boys around them cheer as they try to bounce the quarter in the cup.

The rain seemed to pick up, and Brianna took out her umbrella again, while Anthony still walks in the rain. He didn’t mind, he was to tall to try and get under the umbrella. He held her hand as they walked. The sky booms still with the sounds of fireworks. This wouldn’t end for days. People lit off their fire works throughout the week until they ran out. Green metal awnings rattled as the rain poured on them.

Eventually they reached Oregon Avenue, and began to walk down, it was still a ways before They were at Brianna’s. The whole avenue was wide, and was almost flooded with the amount of rain. Cars raced up and down. Sizzling and hissing as they pushed through the rain. The headlights mixed with the street lights were reflected on the wet road, which lit the entire Avenue.

Anthony speaks up. “So, you’re not mad at me?” He asks her, and she just shrugs.

“I don’t know,” She starts, “I guess not.”

“You sure?” He asks her, and she half heartedly nods.

“I just don’t want you really getting involved in all that.” She says. “It’s stupid, they always want to fight, everyone, just because they don’t live in the same neighborhood.”

“I mean I don’t know, it’s a little more than that.” He tells her.

“No, there’s nothing more than that.” She says. Anthony thinks for a bit, maybe she was right, but it couldn’t have been that simple.

“It’s stupid,” Ant tells her, “but so are wars, and politics, and well, this country. But, they exist, borders exist, and people from other places don’t get along with others. I don’t know.”

Bri looks at him. “Trying to get all philosopher on me?” She asks him. “It could use some work.”

“Well, I don’t know, I can’t do this as good as you, I’m not as smart.” He tells her.

“Oh don’t be a kiss a*s.” She hits him in the arm. She looks up to check what street they were on, they were about halfway there, and Brianna’s mood drops. Anthony catches it, and2 holds her hand tighter.

“You going to be okay going home?” He asks her, and she stays silent. “Well, like I told you, just try to avoid them. Go right up to bed.”

“No, I can’t, they’ll want to talk, and accuse me of a million things. It’ll turn into an argument, and I’ll get worked up and have another panic attack, it’s every night Anthony!” She tells him, her voice almost broken. Brianna had anxiety, her parents refuse to get her help, or medicine to help her cope. Her parents never trusted her, and never really had a reason. Anthony thought that maybe it was because Bri’s older sister left them because she didn’t feel like her parents cared about her. In turn, Bri’s parents became more strict. Along with their own marriage crumbling, it was taking a huge toll on Brianna’s mental health.

“Just try to think, try to push through it, I’ll be waiting for when you’re done, and we’ll talk on the phone okay? You have me.” Anthony promises her.

“I’m not gonna magically feel better because I’ll be talking to you.” She snaps on him but instantly regrets it. Anthony felt like he was pierced in the heart, but he kept his cool. “No Anthony, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“No you did,” He starts. “But it’s okay, I know how you feel.” He tells her. He learned through the relationship that he couldn’t ultimately fix Brianna. He couldn’t magically solve her problems by just being her boyfriend. But he wasn’t gonna stop trying. He couldn’t fix her, but he could hold her together.

“I don’t want to leave you.” She tells him.

“I don’t want you to either.” He replies.

They walk in silence for a bit. Soon, they hit Thirteenth and Oregon. Across the street there lied a giant park. A sign read: “Marconi Plaza Park.” Brianna gives Anthony a worried look.

Anthony stares into the park. There were barely any lights. Trees covered the park, and stole away the light, leaving it pitch black. “It’s okay, they’re all down the shore I think.” He assures her. They keep walking for a while. The park seemingly looming over the couple.

It was only a few more blocks before they reached Brianna’s block. It was dimly lit from the street lights, painting it an orange hue. She stopped Anthony at the corner, and pulled him to the side of a house, and embraces him, before quickly pushing him away.

“You’re soaked!” She exclaims and laughs.

“Gee, wonder why? Almost like I was caught in the rain.” He jokes.

“Come here.” She says and pulls him in under her umbrella, which she drops when their lips touch. Their tongues dancing and their hearts racing. They became one in their short time they had left which each other. Anthony fells not just rain but a few tears roll down her face, and some in his mouth. The patter of the rain, the booms of the distant fireworks were the only sounds they heard.

“I have to go.” She tells him.

“Wish you didn’t.” He tells her.

“Well, nothing we can do about it.” She tells him.

“I could sneak in your window.” He tells her and she laughs.

“No, you’d get my room wet, and my dad will blow your head off with his gun.” She tells him.

Anthony shrugs. “Eh, worth the risk.” He says and she laughs again.

“Of course, wouldn’t be the first time you’d risk getting yourself killed over me.” She says.

“Oh s**t up,” He laughs. “Those Marconi punks ain’t s**t, they can’t even touch Anthony Sorvano.”

She laughs. “Goodbye Anthony.”

“What’s that weak a*s goodbye?” He jokes with her

“Okay Anthony, Goodbye my sweet man, my undying love for you will never leave however.” She tells him. “Is that good enough for you?”

“It’s great, I’m gonna need you to say that every time from now on.” He tells her. She just shakes her head.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.” He says back.

“Get home safe, text me when you get home.” She tells him.

“I promise.” He tells her, they kiss one more time, and Brianna heads down the street, and Anthony watches her as she walks down, and waits until she is safely inside before beginning his long trek back home.

Anthony was uncomfortable with the silence. He always was upset when she left. The sound of the rain and fireworks soon became too annoying. He took out his headphones, and plugged them into his phone, trying to keep it dry, and he plays some music, and lets his mind escape for a while as he walked up.

He walked next to Marconi Park on the opposite side of Oregon, up Bigler Street. He didn’t mean to walk up this way, but wasn’t to focused or really cared. He realized it was a little late, and his uncle might get mad, but didn’t care. He just cared that he got Brianna safely home. Anthony wish he could keep her safe in the house too. He hoped one day, if they ever lasted that long, that he could get an apartment, and they both could escape their life and live there, with only worrying about bills and their jobs.

Anthony stopped a bit when his eye caught a bunch of boys up the street. They seemed to be chilling on the ledge, drinking and joking around. They didn’t seem to notice Anthony, so he took a left into Marconi Park. And the darkness surrounded him.

It was pitch black, the trees above him rustled with the wind and the rain. After awhile, Anthony’s eyes adjusted, and he could see where he was walking. He followed the path, trying to get to Oregon quickly, but he stops when he sees up ahead a few more boys sitting on a bench, this time, they saw him. And they stared for a long time. Anthony felt their eyes pierce him, before they could possibly get a good look at him, he takes a right up a path, towards Johnson streets. He keeps walking for a while, not looking back.

After a while he glances back, and there were numerous silhouettes of boys, all walking quickly towards him. He panics and starts dashing towards the exit of the park, and the boys start pursuing. Ant’s footsteps stomping hurriedly through the park, pushing through and splashing up puddles. After a while, he breaks out and light hits him, he doesn’t stop, charging down a nearby alleyway.

His footsteps pounded and his lungs burned. The stampede behind him grew closer, and he heard the voices of the boys, throwing curses and taunts. Anthony’s eyes were almost blinded with the rain attacking his face. After what seemed like two blocks, he slips on the sooth bricked pavement. He desperately claws at the nearby chain-link fence, as the boys behind him laugh. When Anthony gets on his knee, he is caught by a mean left hook, and falls back to the ground.

“Well look who it is boys!” The kid announces. “It’s Brianna’s man.” The boys all laugh.

“Shut the f**k up.” Anthony starts, but he is kicked in the face before he can speak again, and his lips splits open.

“I don’t know who you are showing your face around here, first you steal my man’s girl, then come around to the lakes thinking your tough s**t.” He tells Anthony. The kid leans down in Anthony’s face, and before he can speak, Anthony spits in his face. Blood splattering his mouth and cheek.

“You f****n’ dirtball!” The kid tells him. He picks Anthony up by the shoulder with the help of another boy, and they both throw him against the wall. Anthony’s back cracks when he hits the concrete wall, and the Marconi boys all swarm him, a bombardment of punches, all pushing his back and forth. Anthony desperately covers his head and face, but do not save him. He tries to fight back, but one kid smacks him with a bottle, breaking it across his face, cutting him badly, and the liquors burning in his wounds, Anthony screams in pain and for help. But his vision turns blurry.

“Brianna!” He calls.

There is no Answer. The bottoms of shoes pound his face and body.

“Logan!” He calls.

Again, there is no answer. His entire body screams and burns in pain, his ribs seemingly crushed.

“Anybody! Please!” He calls one more time.

There is no answer. His vision burns, and eventually goes black. The world around him shutting down. The patter of the rain, booms of the fireworks, the stomping of shoes cracking bones and pounding flesh, it all fades away.

          Time passes, the Marconi boys run, leaving Anthony in a shambled, bloody heap. His breaths short and quick, gasping for air. A neighbor from one of the houses come out and scream for him, and run to him, desperately shaking him to try and wake him up. The neighbor’s husband sees this and runs back in the house for the phone. She slaps and attempts to clean up his wounds, but there are many.

          A few feet away lies Anthony’s phone, it buzzes and lights up, with a text from Brianna.

          “Hey babe, are you home yet?”

          There is no answer.

 

© 2016 James Cacciatore


Author's Note

James Cacciatore
Any and all advice is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's twoppin im f****n wit it bro keep up the good work pop. SPRAYT

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1407 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 30, 2016
Last Updated on September 30, 2016
Tags: Philadelphia, Coming of Age, Young Adult, romance, City Life, rain, independence day, Fourth of July

Author

James Cacciatore
James Cacciatore

Philadelphia , PA



About
Author of “South Philly Castles” and upcoming “Art of the Damned”. I also write short stories. Most of my writing focuses on subverting the young adult and teen drama stigmas, .. more..

Writing