NHS Scholarship Essay

NHS Scholarship Essay

A Story by Morgan Bland
"

Please help!!!

"
As an individual who has been immensely blessed to attend Christian schools for their entire existence, the four pillars of NHS have been encouraged in me since the beginning of my development. Ever since I can remember I have had a strong desire to learn: be it languages, art, science, history… anything and everything. I’m sure my parents became tired of my constant questioning of how everything worked and where certain words originated. I intend to apply this passion for learning to my future career dream of becoming a structural engineer, which incorporates my many interests: especially architecture and physics.
This occupation also incorporates my strong desire to do mission work and serve others. While completing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, it is my dream between my junior and senior year to apply my degree to not only helping people in need to build homes, but also to help design and construct new ways of gaining access to clean water. Having relatives in Chad, Africa, where many people die from contaminated water diseases such as Typhoid and Cholera, has really brought this issue closer to home and instilled in me a wish to make a difference. It has been my privilege to participate in a number of volunteer activities including: volunteering at Cook Children’s Medical Center, routinely visiting a nursing home, babysitting free of charge, and teaching children’s Sabbath School.
In my Sabbath School teaching experiences I have learned to maintain the short attention spans of a group of adorable children. This has helped me to cultivate better leadership capabilities which will enable me to someday hold the interest of a group of adults in my future career. Throughout my life I have always had a tendency to take over group projects because I enjoy seeing a job completed accurately.
This inclination sprouts from a desire to maintain honorable character. I have always valued such characteristics as: honesty, kindness, respect, responsibility, persistence for one’s goals, and a willingness to positively impact the community. These are the values I have, and will cling to throughout my life, not because of expectation or obligation, but because I have a genuine wish to make an impact. These values will help me to form trusting relationships in a work environment and enable me to achieve my future goals.

© 2017 Morgan Bland


Author's Note

Morgan Bland
Please help me edit. It is due in January. Any help will be incredibly appreciated. The prompt is “Describe how the four pillars of National Honor Society shaped your developement (Scholarship, service, leadership, and character). How will you apply these pillars to your future goals?” It has a limit of 400 words. (I’m currently at 385)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry about it being under story. I wasn’t sure what else to put it under.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Added on November 26, 2017
Last Updated on November 26, 2017

Author

Morgan Bland
Morgan Bland

About
Hi, I love arts of all kinds: sewing, drawing, painting, crocheting, terrarium making, writing stories, and poetry. I also enjoy riding a unicycle and love turtles. I would love to hear some construct.. more..

Writing