Lost Things Found

Lost Things Found

A Story by Rain
"

A true story about what Christmas really is.

"

    

Her name was Gracie, She lived in a run down little house with her husband and three kids. The house sat on the property of a large farm and was for the main farm hand, which was Gracie's husband, Willie. Their rent was almost nothing, because Willie pretty much ran the farm...until he got sick. He was thirty three when he got Pancreatic cancer, and thirty five when he died.
 
 My thought's of Gracie and Willie and their family come to me, because it was around this time of the year he died. They were very poor, but they had a deep love for each other. We just went through a holiday that asks us to think of the things to be grateful for.
 
 Once he was diagnosed it took twenty two months for it to kill him, leaving behind Gracie and her three children. The farmer told her he wouldn't rush her out of the house, but eventually she would have to leave.
 
 This would have effected anyone, anytime, but to be so close to Christmas it somehow became an obsession to do something. She didn't have the money for a burial stone, plus her kids ranged in age from four to seven. I was the only one where I worked that knew of Gracie.
 
She was from the hills of Tennessee. I lived in Ohio. I knew her whole story from the John Hopkins pancreatic cancer board. I was with her through his whole ordeal. Many of us were, but I didn't know what, or if anyone was going to try and help.
 
I decided I would go to my company, explain the situation, and ask permission to try and collect money for her. They approved my request. Now, it was a question of what I do to get it. My goal was one thousand dollars. That was a lot, and I didn't have lots of time. I got the company to let me sell raffle tickets for a dollar a ticket...winner takes all.
 
All together, that raised close to three hundred dollars, I worked with the greatest bunch of people. Some just handed me money. I printed up pictures of her and her family and posted them all over the building. Underneath, I told Gracie's story. Gracie was poor, but she also was a proud woman. She wouldn't ask for help.
 
With time running out I came up with this stupid idea of selling tickets to see my trip to LA, to the Beverly Hilton. We had it on DVD. But, what the company would only allow, was for me to show my first try at stand up comedy. It was PanCan's biggest fundraiser, and I was asked to speak as a three year survivor.     What the organizers didn't know was I wasn't going to speak on being a survivor. I had always wanted to know what it felt like to stand up on stage and make total strangers laugh. With three hundred people going to be there, this would be my one and only chance. Sue taped the whole routine, which lasted fourteen minutes.
 
I didn't set a price. I was too terrified. The people in LA laughed and gave me an ovation, but these were people I knew, paying money to watch it, so I set a can by the door of the cafeteria and hung a sign that just asked to give what you could. I had this overwhelming fear no-one would pay to see a home movie. I was amazed at the response.
 
The company told me I would have to do two showings, which meant no production on the floor. When both showing were over, I counted the money. My friends came through. All total in three days I had raised over six hundred dollars. Sue and I discussed it, and decided to give the remaining four hundred dollars, as a Christmas gift to each other. About eight days before Christmas I was able to gift wrap an old check box, filled with fifty brand new twenty dollar bills. I sent it by US Mail, anonymously. I didn't want her to know where it came from. I wanted it to feel like a miracle. The only thing I did was write a note written by some unknown writer that I had read some thirty years prior. They are words that I have never forgotten.
She received this package containing the money four days before Christmas,and a note that said..
 
"Of the many Legends that surround Christmas, there is one that says..
"On this night..Lost things are Found."

 
© 2007 Rain

 
 

© 2008 Rain


Author's Note

Rain
A few days later, Gracie posted what happened on the cancer board. She was obviously crying as she told how she felt when she opened the package. On Christmas eve, Sue and I, also found something lost. It was a wonderful Christmas..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I know what feelings Gracie experienced when she opened that package of love even though my circumstances were extremely different than hers was. You read about it in A Story Within A Chapter. The feeling of not being alone in a world that has felt so unkind is almost more than the heart can take. Your first thought is not of the money but it is that of "Someone actually cares" It is a feeling like no other. When things have been so heartbreaking to have people give of themselves restores your faith in humanity. It was wonderful that yourself and your friends were able to do this for her and her family.

Another touching find in my travels within your site, especially for this time of year.

Merry Christmas Ray. You make a wonderful Santa.
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the Heart-Warming-Christmas Contest!

Sal

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully well written! I thank you very much for submitting this to my Christmas Contest!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know what feelings Gracie experienced when she opened that package of love even though my circumstances were extremely different than hers was. You read about it in A Story Within A Chapter. The feeling of not being alone in a world that has felt so unkind is almost more than the heart can take. Your first thought is not of the money but it is that of "Someone actually cares" It is a feeling like no other. When things have been so heartbreaking to have people give of themselves restores your faith in humanity. It was wonderful that yourself and your friends were able to do this for her and her family.

Another touching find in my travels within your site, especially for this time of year.

Merry Christmas Ray. You make a wonderful Santa.
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful write, and even more beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it, as it was a pleasure to read. PW

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

These last few lines just put a wide smile on my face.
I truly adore your stories, and the amount of emotion in them.
Keep up the good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lovely. what a moving story... and you should be so proud that you have the ability to write someting truthful and wonderful about your self.... beauitful

:)



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great write very well constructed ,showing lots of sympathy,great imagination ,what can i say,,,

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice. Moving story. Thank you for sharing
Love All, Mejasha

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on December 12, 2008

Author

Rain
Rain

About
"Having lived a bit has altered my thoughts of this coming new year from all those that have come and gone. Life is so bizarre that in some ways, my diagnosis has been a blessing. "I'm not sure why.. more..

Writing
He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain


The 50's The 50's

A Poem by Rain



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Adorkable Adorkable

A Poem by Wildecat


Mid-Life Crises Mid-Life Crises

A Story by Rain


Poet in Prison Poet in Prison

A Story by Rain