Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Raven Starhawk

Chapter One

     1

Fortune smiled upon spinners of fictions. Their unsavory tales painted my kind in an adverse picture; a gallery hosting delusion and desert waste. In desperation one might think the veil of lies would cease and truth be revealed, but sometimes it takes more than time to uncover it.

I resumed my examination of gestures and listened to conversations spoken openly and in secret.  These mortal creatures had routines.  Some were bleak and dire; in pursuit of carnage and mayhem.  Then there were those providing necessity, love and life.

Then there was Patty Weir.

2

     Her vision narrowed. He turned his back to her. His shoulders rounded. Through a window sunshine splashed over him, highlighted his muscular build, and perfectly drowned out what she had come to despise about him.

 "I am living a lie," she said again. She swallowed hard. There was no point in denying it any longer. "I am sorry, Stephen."

  "Patty," he hissed as he whirled around on his heels. The brilliant golden rays no longer an aid in concealing his darkness. "I am tired of all your damned excuses! If you don't want a life here and with me then get the hell out and never come back!"

 But it wasn't an excuse. It was the truth. He didn't like to hear the truth and that was just fine because she didn't want to waste another second on him. She lowered her head and made her leave. A part of her hoped he would call out to her, but as she rounded the corner that hope expired as unshed tears glinted in her eyes. It was over. Thirteen years of his rubbish finally was over and though her stomach spit bitter acid into her throat she knew everything would be okay. It had to be.

 She paused with her hand on the doorknob. In his office just down the hall and to the left she heard objects shattering and furniture being overthrown. That was all it took for her to hurry out. Down the stone steps she flew and as gravel crunched beneath her feet she blinked away stinging heartache that soon was comforted by classical music pouring through her car's radio.

 His piercing stare was stamped in her mind. It was a look he paid her nearly every day of their life together. It wouldn't be missed. As she pulled the car to a stop she wondered whether he would be missed at all once she put distance between them.

 "You're getting fat," he would tell her. "Your a*s is flabby. Make up doesn't help anymore, Patty. You’re old and used up. Forget about finding anyone who will love this old hag I am stuck with. You'll have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding a man."

She gritted her teeth. Her hands tightened their grip on the steering wheel and she sped along to the next intersection. He knew how to play on her insecurities. He knew what buttons to push. Ever since her father passed away from heart disease she filled the void with food and was the first one to admit her weight came from packing cakes and candies into her mouth. Those days were behind her but still the damage was ever more evident around her midsection.

 Do you realize how nasty your flab is?  His voice still hammered inside her head.

 She flipped on her blinker and rounded the next corner. The golden arches reflected in her windshield as she parked in an empty stall. Every fiber of her being told her not to go in and order but she turned the key in the ignition and opened her door. The air was simply intoxicating as she walked up to the gleaming double glass doors. Without hesitation she swung inward and stepped up to the counter where a skinny young girl stood with her fake smile and forced politeness. If it were a different situation this very same girl would poke fun at her while she skipped along with her handsome boyfriend.

 "How may I help you," the girl asked.

Patty hesitated as her attention poured over the menu above. A Big Mac would sure wet her appetite, but she wanted more than one sandwich. Her mouth opened and before she knew it she ordered two Big Macs, two large French Fries, a cheeseburger and a large chocolate shake.

 Are you really going to eat all that? Aren't you fat enough?

She shook Stephen's voice from her thoughts and then added, "Give me chicken nuggets as well and add a large Coke."

 I doubt I can eat all that, she thought as she handed the money over. But I don't give a s**t anymore!

She went to collect her tray and meal when out the corner of her eye she spied a slender black blur. The waft of his cologne to her nostrils made her heart skip a beat and she looked up just as he took her place in line.   Heat flushed her face as he spoke. His voice was a gentle caress of pure silk. There was a hint of an accent she could not discern but no less found soothing.

"Ma'am," said the pimple faced teen with a microphone attached to his ear. "You are holding up the line."

 She took her tray and headed toward the refreshments. She set her cup under the ice dispenser and listened to the cold stuff fall in one giant gush. She then moved to the Coke and gently pressed against the black handle, watching the murky liquid flood over ice until it threatened to flow over the brim.

 As she fixed the plastic lid on she glanced back at the tall stranger. Others crowded in around him and she sighed. Quickly she found a booth at the far end where she could be alone with her thoughts. As she unwrapped a cheeseburger she again glanced over in search of him. Through a sea of hungry patrons she spied him filling a small cup with ice.  His cascading river of hair hung so elegantly. Though light complexioned he was better looking than she ever imagined a man could be. In fact he was almost too beautiful to be real and as she took that first bite of cheeseburger and pickle she moaned. Good food and a good view always made for excellent lunch.

 Ketchup swirled around on her tongue. It married splendidly with onion bits and mustard. She looked down at her meal. It was all so good, but then her thoughts returned to Stephen. He would have never let her order so much and even if he did she would never hear the end of it.   She swallowed a mouthful of bun and meat, chased it down with a large gulp of Coke and then searched through the mob. There was no hint of him. Whoever he was left by now and probably was well on his way back home to his super model wife and mansion.

 



© 2017 Raven Starhawk


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
Added on February 13, 2017
Last Updated on February 13, 2017
Tags: thriller, fantasy, horror, fiction