Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Raven Starhawk

Chapter Eight

     1

"Patty," Brenda cried. Soon she was at her back, her arms draped around her, her full breasts pressing against her.

Patty shrugged her off. "I think you should get dressed before you tell me about it."

"It could not have been real," Brenda went on, her voice strangled.

"It was real enough," Patty said dully. "But I think you should go back to Thomas and get dressed. You don't want anyone else to happen upon us after all that screaming and see you naked."

It was a silly statement. They were in the middle of nowhere but Brenda did not seem to notice as she raced back to Thomas and the others.

They are sheep, Ronan whispered.

"I know they are and we are leading them into the slaughter, aren't we?"

2      

She kept her stare low and focused on the various displays of incense holders and was trying to decide which would be best, stick or cone, when a low drawl crept up behind her. Her eyes narrowed at once, her mouth a tight bow and as she turned to see the infernal woman behind her she sighed. Her haughty chin jetted out and made her face seem even more long than usual. In her glinting dark depths raced series of tainted memories and emotions. Patty did not miss a single one.

She glanced up. The neon sign flashing in the front window display cast a glow across the broken sidewalk. At first she considered an ill-conceived notion to keep an occult store open at all hours, but looking over her shoulder at the woman hunched in a chair at the cash register foretold a desperate road filled with trial and error. Most people feared being seen coming in here. Under the cloak of darkness it was easier to slip in and out.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here," Judan said, her arms folded across her low cut blouse.

"In here searching for a new broom to ride over the moon," Patty asked and then busied herself with a package of stick incense. She was contemplating on the dragon holder when that voice filled her ears with grief.

"I can ask you the same thing. But I forgot you are a sinner whose belief is wrapped up in Satan business."

Patty's eyes widened as she turned. "If you are so damn high and mighty what are you doing in a Wiccan shop?" Her face flushed with heat and she felt it begin to rise. She swallowed hard to prevent it from escaping and quickly turned back to her considerations for purchase.

Judan scoffed. "I simply wanted to see why such a disgraceful store stands. These people should be ashamed."

Patty bit her lip. "No, your mother should be ashamed for giving birth to you."

Behind her she felt Judan's heated expression. She did not have to turn to look. Pleased with herself, Patty smiled and plucked the dragon holder up from its friends on the table. She grabbed a package of stick incense from the rack above and finally turned fully to face her.

"How dare you," she finally said.

There was nothing else she could say, at least not to her face. Judan fashioned another source of slander and name calling and it was far from verbal. In fact Patty visualized that as soon as she would leave this dirty and sinful store that she would speed on home to act all high and mighty on her desk top computer. It was her way.

"I do dare," Patty said and stepped past her to approach the counter.

Brenda, Thomas, Peter and Sandi were busying themselves in different sections of the shop. She had given them a detailed list of items to find. The look that filtered across Thomas's face as he read suggested half the written words were foreign. He did not ask though. He simply folded the list and crammed it into his back pocket. They just needed a bit of guidance. Her thoughts melted away. Someone was following her and as she threw a glance over her shoulder Brandie's sour expression made her shiver though hardly from fear.

"I suggest you go home to your computer and lie about me now," Patty said and began to lay her items on the counter.

A middle aged woman lifted herself out of a rusty brown recliner in the corner and waddled over. Her thick midpoint was not nearly as thick as her bottom. Patty imagined one might be able to balance a tray on it, but gazing into her eyes as their hands exchanged monies, she sensed actual knowledge of the craft in this crone. She was not a fake like Brenda and Thomas. She was the real McCoy.

She handed her the change and for a moment her attention lingered.

"Do I know you," asked the clerk.

She is the high priestess of the southern clan of Zusus. For centuries they have worshiped the elder gods and never strayed from the old ways. Their teachings are for the simple of heart, the pure of heart, but she has nothing to offer us. She is still just a mortal and soon her day will come to rest among the dirt with all her other comrades, Ronan explained.

Patty moaned softly.  And am I to succumb to a similar fate?

Ronan chuckled though avoided her question as he spoke, You cannot abandon them now. You must wait for them outside. And there will always be a later. The darkness of man grows with every moon. This cannot be changed and even if their souls are naturally sloped toward corruption, their minds are chambers of power. They are a species likely to doom themselves. They do not need help from us.

Patty furrowed her brows. "Then why am I doing all this?" Her voice was a note above a whisper yet still sounded like a freight train.

So that they may descend into the Other; acquaint themselves with Ancient Armageddon.



© 2017 Raven Starhawk


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on October 10, 2017
Last Updated on October 10, 2017
Tags: fantasy, horror, suspense, thriller, Armageddon