Just Bent

Just Bent

A Story by RayLynn

A single tear hits the floor. Its sound tremendously echoes through the empty house again and again until it slowly dies away.

            Things didn’t have to be like this. It could have been different, better even. But he made it this way.

            I look up and see the girl staring at me in the mirror. Her eyes red and puffy, her makeup smudged and uneven, her hair in a tousle. If I look closely I can see the sadness and regret in her tired eyes. I take a deep breath and close my eyes. I don’t have to be this girl, but I know that this is who I am right now. I try to tell myself that it’s not my fault, that it’s actually his. But then there’s a little voice in my mind screaming that I’m responsible for this and that if I had only been better…

            “Stop that”, I chide myself. “You’re the victim here. He did what he did and it had nothing to do with you.” I press my hand to the mirror, reaching out to the grief stricken girl I see before me. My hand falls short of her and is only met with the cold smooth glass.

            I jump as the doorbell rings, its sounds vibrating through the empty rooms, slowly making its way to me in a series of smaller echoes. I look again at my reflection. Sighing, I flatten my hair and wipe my tears from my eyes. This will be a new start for me, a good start. This is what I need.

            With that thought in mind, I turn off the light and shut the door. I slowly make my way to the front door, lightly letting my hand drag across the walls and down the railing of the stairs. I stop by the door and lift my bag over my shoulder. I take one last look around the house that once was my happy home. I let out a shaky breath as a flood of memories come back to me.

Then I turn and walk out the front door to my new life.

© 2016 RayLynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Now, this is a great story, I love the way you expressed yourself from seeing yourself from a different perspective. And how things trigger and upset you. Great emotions held within the supercharged expressive tale.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
1 Review
Added on October 19, 2016
Last Updated on October 19, 2016

Author

RayLynn
RayLynn

Superior, WI



About
Just a poor girl from a poor family putting herself through school and writing along the way more..

Writing
Poetry Book Poetry Book

A Poem by RayLynn