Not yet titled

Not yet titled

A Stage Play by Rebel Angel
"

I was ased to write a scene for uni that involved some form of conflict, interenal character or otherwise this is what i came up with.

"

Harry and Chris are in the kitchen; Chris has just poured them a drink and is now stood at the counter studying Harry as he sips his drink.


Harry: I just can’t do it. I just . . . can’t.


 Chris: You have no choice.


Harry: (snapping) yes I do! We all do!


Chris: Don’t be so god damn stubborn! For god’s sake dad! (Silence, Chris slowly meets

Harry’s eyes and pleads) Please, you can’t keep doing this. She deserves better. You deserve better.


Harry: I look after her!


Chris: But you can’t! Not always. She needs full time care.


Harry: (Shouting) I give her full time care!


Harry begins to cough violently and struggles to catch his breath. His hands are shaking as he tries to sip his drink. Slowly his coughing subsides and he his left wanting for breath. Chris waits for his breathing to calm before coming to sit with Harry at the table.


Chris: (Softly) Dad, you in no fit state to look after her. This is what’s nest for the both of you. Please.


Harry: (raising his voice) Don’t tell me what’s best for us! How would you know? How would you two know?! I only ever see you if i call you over!


Chris: (sharply) Because I have my own life! I can’t keep visiting to checkon mum. Neither of us can! Five times a week minimum I have been called out here this last month, all hours of the bloody day. It’s exhausting dad.  (Pause) I do worry about you, you know. If it’s exhausting for me it must be hell for you.


Harry: (shouts) It’s not hell! She is my wife! (He begins to cough again and is forced to take a sip of his drink to regain his composure)
I’d do anything for her you know. I’ll keep her safe no matter what. I’ll be the one to look after her, just like she looked after me.


Chris: That was different.


Harry: How? How was it different? I was ill and she did everything she could to look after me. How is that different?


Chris: Because. . .


Harry: Because what?


Chris: (snapping) Because you were going to get better.


Pause.

Sorry dad but-


Harry: (quietly) So will she.

Pause. . . Harry seems to be staring intently at the drink in his hand. Chris sits watching his eyes beginning to water.


Chris: (softly) Dad. . .


Harry: She will get better. She will. She always does.


Chris: Dad, she won’t. It’ll just keep getting worse.

Pause

Look dad this place. This. . .home-


Harry: This is here home!


Chris: But this place it’s got 24hr nurses and doctors so she’ll always be looked after. And you can visit her 7 days a week and maybe you could take her for a long walk I mean the even have a small stream running along the end. Dad, please.

Pause


Harry: What about me?


Chris: Huh?


Harry: What about what I want? What about what I think is best for my wife? What if I want to be with her 24hrs a day? What if I want to be there to comfort her when she is scared? What if I want to be there with her to make her, her 10 o’clock cup of tea and watch the news whilst she comments on how we should shoot all the politicians and go back to the good old days when kids where forced outside. What if that’s what I think is best for her?

Chris sighs


Chris: I’m sorry dad, but this is the best thing for mum and for you.

He reaches across the table and squeezes his dads hand.

It’s for the best.


Harry is silent still concentrating on his drink he doesn’t move as a small tear fall down the side of his face.

(Softly) I’m sorry dad.

© 2011 Rebel Angel


Author's Note

Rebel Angel
Thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on December 14, 2011
Last Updated on December 14, 2011

Author

Rebel Angel
Rebel Angel

Plymouth , United Kingdom



About
UK chick! Ok so i managed to lock ,myself out of my old acount which is good i guess coz this is a new start for me! so heres whats changed in Rebel Angels life. . . I'm eighteen and hapily engaged! Y.. more..

Writing