Who Am I?

Who Am I?

A Poem by ReedWrite
"

Finding yourself again.

"

 




Who am I without you?

            Nothing is the same.

            Do I still have a name?

 

Who am I without you?

            There’s no sense of identity.

            Without you, am I still me?

 

Who am I without you?

            All the broken pieces of a heart

            Where the hell do I start?

 

Who am I without you?

            I’m the same person I was before.

            A little less; maybe a little more.

 

Who am I without you?

            Learning how the big boys play,

A little wiser today, than yesterday.

 

Who am I without you?

            Everything is the same.

            I still own my name.

           

           

© 2016 ReedWrite


Author's Note

ReedWrite
I think it's easy to lose ourselves in someone else...when that someone else is no longer a part of your life...who are you then?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful poem on names and identities. It is so true that we can lose ourselves to others if we allow it and find it hard to regain lost territory and identity. I like to share and give for they enrich our sense of it all in a balance way instead just losing and not retaining our name and sense of identity. Mother Nature shares all things but keeps its essence which is God-given. An excellent write...:)...............

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Sami!
It's hard to give of yourself, and not give it all...and sometimes I.. read more
Sami Khalil

7 Years Ago

Wow. You are welcome...:)...................



Reviews

'Who Am I'
ReedWrite,
I notice this is a write where the subject and the narrater are still connected,
as in 'who am i without you' beginning each stanza. From there the process of
change and individuality is dealt with. Yes, no matter the process or time ta-
ken the aim is the person; "I still own my name." Really down to earth and
truth seeking poem.
Blessings,
Kathy


Posted 4 Years Ago


It's so true that love for all of it's ecstasy can be harsh. Our giving love and wishing it to be returned is so natural. All of us, I believe, have at one time or another have had our hearts broken. But like your speaker knows that we must pick up the pieces and move on.

Even at the end she realizes she still owns her name.

Take care - Dave

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the read and review...appreciate it.
I totally agree that it's easy to become submerged in a relationship. I love all the ways you detail this floundering after the end of a relationship, so true-to-life for many. Your questioning is natural sounding & straightforward, which I like. The only drawback is that I'm not a big fan of using the exact same sentence in every stanza. Maybe a little variation would add interest.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing this piece, Barleygirl! I appreciate you input and suggestion.
Simply Beautiful.You show such passion in your writings,it is easy to see they are written from the heart.Thank you

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Ahhhh, my sweet Sasquatch! Thank you...for taking the time and effort to read..to comment..to care.
so you're saying you can get so caught up in that person that you forget who you are

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Yup, pretty much. :)
I think it's human nature to want to depend on someone.. To give in completely only to be found broken.. And it feels like a part of ourselves leave us when that person leaves us because we made them a part of us..
This is a heart-touching piece. I won't say I enjoyed reading it but it made me feel vulnerable.. You convey the dilemma beautifully..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Yumna. I appreciate that you took time to read and comment.
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

You are welcome! ☺
The transition from losing to regaining- that's what I actually liked.
"Nothing is the same.
Do I still have a name?"

" Everything is the same.
I still own my name."
This contradiction and transition seems like how you reach the light by walking through a dark tunnel.
To be honest, I don't like the fact of losing oneself, one's identity to someone else. And the reason I dislike it, because it makes me enervated and dilapidated to an extent. I actually hate it because I find myself helpless and powerless. I try to regain myself, eventually losing it again. That's the biggest flaw in me- that's what once a friend pointed out to me. That I let people take hold of me and I hurt myself in that act.
So when I read anything like losing one's identity with someone else, I actually berate myself. I was like "no, no. That's not the right thing" half-way through your poem. But I smiled when I was nearing to its end.
A brilliant,lyrical piece. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Atiba. I think it is human nature to give ourselves completely when we love, and .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very truthful write.

The old adage about two becoming one is absolutely true. We become invested as a unit rather than as an individual. And when that unity is broken we find ourselves lost and lacking personal identity.

Your poem is very insightful and true to life. It happens everyday. In time if we seek ourselves, then we will find ourselves again.

A very nice piece of work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Doodley.
I appreciate your thoughtful comment, and that you took time to read and .. read more
A choice of identity lies within. At times we lose everything by giving ourselves into someone else's thoughts and actions. If there breaks anything, then its our heart in the end.

Very risky business out here...

Good write..

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Tanmay. Appreciate your words very much.
The stanzas in this are wise and simply magnificent, I love how the voice gradually becomes stronger toward the closing lines. When you've shared your life with someone for so long and then they leave, it's hard to realign the pieces left behind and regain the ones you gave; a hole remains. Thank you for sharing this truthful write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Jack.
Your words are so true...it's hard to realign the pieces left behind and reg.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1110 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 19, 2016
Last Updated on November 19, 2016
Tags: Love, loss, time to move on, fear, freedom, pain, moving forward, courage

Author

ReedWrite
ReedWrite

Omaha, NE



About
After a decade trapped by distractions, I'm pursuing my passion once again. I come from a military background...a Navy brat...and my father (now deceased) and brother, are both published writers...so .. more..

Writing
IF IF

A Poem by ReedWrite



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


64 64

A Poem by Lydia Shutter