IF

IF

A Poem by ReedWrite
"

Just wondering

"

 


If we could just stop revolving,

            Around the all-consuming ME,

If we took the time to contemplate,

            More than superficiality.

 

If the mind could wrap itself around,

            More than just the here and now,

If the heart stepped beyond its desires,

            Unencumbered by why, what, or how.

 

If we looked beneath the surface,

            Of color, faith, and sexuality,

If we stepped beyond boxed judgement,

            What awe-inspiring wonders we would see.

© 2016 ReedWrite


Author's Note

ReedWrite
There is a young boy, at the HS where I work. He's 14. His mother was killed a couple years ago...and recently his father died from heart attack that the boy witnessed. He's been in several foster homes...the most recent one didn't keep him because the boy is gay, and might negatively influence their 12 year old son...according to their warped logic. I've never met a gentler, more respectful, sensitive child...and he was cast out less than two weeks before Christmas...by people who consider themselves Christians. The boy ended up in psych ward at a local hospital, with severe depression. I don't understand how people who claim to believe in God...can see him as a deity that only loves us if we meet certain criteria. IF I believed that to be true, I would never bend knee to that kind of God. In my mind, God sees beyond all the exterior trappings. He sees our heart...and he loves us regardless of gender, race, religion, sexuality, political party, or any of the plethora of other differences that divide humans. Stepping off my soap box now. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a lovely write, the bible is so homophobic, and i'm not gay either, but it is, and for centuries we have had paedophile priests. go figure the hypocrisy. a sad write. i do hope all goes well in a tragic journey so far for that child. The fact that just recently the Pope forgives those dirty priests disgusts me. lol I'm getting carried away, a sad write but worthy of attention.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Andrew. Yes, there is a lot of things that sicken the heart, but when we speak up, one sm.. read more



Reviews

Nicely written :)

Even though I no longer consider myself religious, the message this poem gives should still stand as far as humanity goes.

I also feel that we should not be afraid to step out of our own boxes of opinion, and engage in discussion with other beliefs, whether religious, political, societal, personal, and be able to withstand criticism without being offended.

Just my own two cents.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

I like your two-cents...exactly what I feel, as well.
Thank you for reading and commenting, O.. read more
It is a touching write! Humanity is wrapped and divided into just opinions, religions and philosophies. These become our lords and rule us. I wonder if they really know what's real who that superpower called God is and what he expects as code of conduct from us human beings..
This write has stirred up many things in my heart..
The whole write and especially the last section is moving and inspiring for me..
Thanks for sharing this write... Bala


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Bala.
Appreciate your heart-felt words, and that you took the time to read.. read more
I couldn't agree with you more. I honestly don't believe that GOD makes mistakes. He made us all and that being the case I believe He loves us all. If He loves us why is it that we can't accept the differences that we meet and love them as He does?

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Agree with that 110%, Dave.
Thank you so much for reading and commenting.
Dave

7 Years Ago

Its so easy, when two minds are of the same feeling. I was very fortunate that my family never fost.. read more
very good this is a good poem

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, genocide.
If we stepped beyond boxed judgement!! If only! Some people need to get a grip. Good poem. thanks for sharing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Andronicus. Appreciate that you took time to read and comment.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Brilliant poem, an important poem.
A real mantra of TRUTH! Starz x


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Starzy. Appreciate your words very much.
Thank you for this remarkable poem, very timely for our current times, & the heart-wrenching share in your author's notes. I look at a group of white men (ex: most of Trump's cabinet) & it looks unnatural to not have representation for all the different kinds of people we are as a nation. I can't understand people who don't see diversity as a beautiful & necessary aspect of our humanity. Your entire message is much-needed & well-expressed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Barleygirl...I agree. There is a beautiful richness in diversity. Thank you for the read .. read more
Your words ring with truth. The story of the young man is sad, and the actions of that couple unconscionable. It is not God or Christ in their actions
but the Devil twisting their hearts. Hopefully the boy has found someone to step up and help. Don't ever stop getting up on that soapbox. Good write, RW

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Ted. Unfortunately, stories like that one are all too common.
Beautifully written Pam, about one of the incalculable differences that in some eyes, would make us all freaks, if looked for the differences hard enough. I often wonder why we strive to be unique and individual, yet be completely dismissive of anything that makes someone else unique and different. I guess some people just want to think that what they think is somehow more important than what others think. Sometimes, most times, these same people are the ones who vocalise their dismissiveness in others so well, that it just makes their shallowness and bitterness shine through to all but them. Personally, it would be like walking into my own personal hell if I woke up tomorrow to a world full of Nemo's, so why don't we just stick with live and let live and pay less attention to those who think because they can vocalise, that they have an actual opinion and not the audible bitterness and resentment that their audience hears.
What one person thinks doesn't make it so. Be unique, be yourself, and maybe karma will take care of the hate some day.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Nemo. You are so very right. Sometimes I think humans need a target...need to find someon.. read more
An awful story.
A poignant poem
There is a certain 'I'm alright Jack' smugness with certain people who claim to have found God or to follow Jesus or another diety. I don't think any of the teachings of any of them afford this mindset and so it has to be pure selfishness that is the source.

Soap boxes are there for such as this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ReedWrite

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Tony.
You're right. I think sometimes people use God as validation for things that.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1483 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2016
Last Updated on December 15, 2016
Tags: love, life, acceptance, respect, appreciation, differences, diversity, cooperation

Author

ReedWrite
ReedWrite

Omaha, NE



About
After a decade trapped by distractions, I'm pursuing my passion once again. I come from a military background...a Navy brat...and my father (now deceased) and brother, are both published writers...so .. more..

Writing
Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by ReedWrite



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..