Dezz

Dezz

A Story by Aehr
"

Its a true story, written when I was in sixth grade... I really am an animal lover, just like my entire family, on my mother's side as well as my father's. Waiting for reviews.

"

 On 19th November, at around 2:30 pm or so, when we were coming back from school, we saw a huge white creature standing near our neighbor’s house in our lane. It was a dog. Me and my sister love dogs so we tried to call him to us and see if he was ok because he was looking worried and was running around here and there as if he had lost his way. We tried to call him near but he started barking at us and we got a bit scared. So, we rushed home. We went home and in a hurry told mom what we saw. She laughed. My sister asked mom if we could keep that dog but my mom didn’t allow us because we already have a female dog. Mom told us to leave the dog alone because dogs never forget their way home unless they have come from really far. But still were a little worried for the dog. Instead of calling him ‘the dog’, we named him Dezz. After every five minutes I or my sister went to the balcony to see if he was alright. We even tried to feed him a biscuit but all was in vain. After a few hours, when my sister and me were playing scrabble, mom put our dog Misty in the balcony from where Dezz could be seen and she started barking wildly when she saw him. Hearing Misty’s bark, all the other dogs in the community also started barking and everyone in the lane got mad. Mom went down to the gate to check out the dog. He was playing with our neighbor’s maid’s kids. Shriya also went down and saw the dog. I was watching television so I did not notice. Then after a while, I heard Shriya loudly saying “He’s so cute.” I saw from the window that Mom was standing and looking at Dezz and Shriya was playing with Dezz and the maid’s kids. I got really excited and went downstairs. I started playing with Dezz soon. I found out that he had a beautiful, blue chain with tiny golden bells on it on his neck. He was a vey well kept, trained and clean dog. We asked the other kids if the had given him something to eat or know where he lives. They told us that they had given him three chapattis but they had no idea about where he lives. Then after that, we played with Dezz a little more and then went home to study.

The next day, we came back from school at the usual time and mom told us that she had asked one of the well off people living near our house in Inder Road that if Dezz was their dog or not because she had seen their gate open since yesterday and Dezz had also come yesterday only. The servant of the house said that it wasn’t their dog but told mom that they would  be delighted keep him. Mom got the dog there and the servant very happily took the new dog. We thought that this was it. Dezz got a home and we were happy that we could see him everyday in the house of our neighbors. But next morning.

After studying, fortunately for mom, a tomato seller came in the lane and mom rushed down to buy tomatoes. When we went down to check out what mum was doing, we found her downstairs. We went outside, stood with mom for a while and were almost going to go back upstairs when we heard Dezz bark. Mom, our neighbors Mrs. Sharma and Mrs. Pal, me and Shriya gasped and looked at Dezz in the house of the same neighbor lying down on the ground. Mom told everyone that the dog was back. We got very happy. And went upstairs thinking that we’ll play with him later. After an hour or so, we went to the balcony and saw Dezz going out with the maid of our neighbor and her kid to the shop. We asked them where they were going and they told us that they were going to the shop. I kept on waiting the balcony so that I could play with Dezz but it took a long time. Finally I saw them coming. They said that Dezz was in the neighboring lane which could be seen from my balcony. I looked at my tuition teacher’s house from the lane Dezz was there playing with my teacher’s niece. I thought that he would come back in a few minutes but even when I called him by his name many times, he did not come. Even my sister got worried. All was in vain till we saw the maid’s kids. We asked them to get Dezz back. He did come back after that in a few minutes. But then we saw my teacher’s niece say something to the children and she gave them a long cloth. I asked them what happened and they replied that the teacher’s niece wanted to keep Dezz forever. Mom and Shriya were happy to hear this and took Dezz to my teacher’s place but I was crying. I did not know what to say because I could meet Dezz everyday but not exactly play with him and stuff. But still, I controlled my emotions and kept the sadness inside me trying to forget Dezz.

The next evening at 5:55, when I reached my tuition teacher’s place, I did not see Dezz anywhere near the house or inside. So the first thing I asked my teacher was that where was Dezz. My teacher told me that he had eaten very well that night and had slept off too. But the next day, he bit one of the student’s father who was fiddling with Dezz’s food. So, my teacher got angry and put him outside. She waited for him the whole day but Dezz never came back. One of my tuition friends, Gaurangi, also saw Dezz and eagerly wanted to play with him. But after that day, there wasn’t a sign of Dezz anywhere.

We came to the conclusion that Dezz had been taken away by his owner or someone else might have taken him. Even today when I hear dogs barking, I rush to the balcony to see if Dezz has come but I don’t have even a clue of him now. I wish he comes back one day and Mom allows us to keep him.

© 2012 Aehr


Author's Note

Aehr
This is also a message for people reading, that we can keep stray puppies as our pets and give them proper vaccinations and take care of them instead of buying dogs from pet shops, and it'll help the dogs and cats (in the case of a cat) on the street. They will get a good home and you'll feel satisfied, doing a good deed. Spread the word, I'll really appreciate it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So nice to read of your love of animals and yes, strays make the most devoted pets. I had gotten a horse that way. She was so badly neglected but I cared for her, trained her and was the first person she ever let ride her . She grew to be the love of my life. Keep your heart and it will repay you many times over. :) I like the author's note you have provided...good advice

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The writing is, of course, superb. The story flows. I was engrossed throughout. the descriptions were clear. Am hooked. Would certainly pay money to read the book in print. Clichés aren't anywhere on this page. Nice work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is such a sweet and sad story. I am a huge lover of animals and agree with your author's note wholeheartedly. Nice story!!


Posted 11 Years Ago


A very nice story. Animals allow us to learn friendship and sadness. So many dogs are homeless. I like the concern for the dog and the desire to find him a good home. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So nice to read of your love of animals and yes, strays make the most devoted pets. I had gotten a horse that way. She was so badly neglected but I cared for her, trained her and was the first person she ever let ride her . She grew to be the love of my life. Keep your heart and it will repay you many times over. :) I like the author's note you have provided...good advice

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a joy to read. You are a great storyteller and this is a wonderful little story. Well done!! - Fellow animal lover. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good message. Its so much better to adopt a stray than feed the puppy mills that breed unhealthy animals. I have always owned dogs and I've usually gotten them free from someone I knew who had a "mutt" or mixed breed litter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Nice piece! I loved your message! My family and I are not big animal lovers, but I agree with you! Great piece! Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice write. I hope you may find dezz someday. We should try to give same love to stray dogs as we give to our pets. Good message. Keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012

Author

Aehr
Aehr

Aspiring for fearlessness



About
Trying to keep my words alive. Find me on Instagram: aehr_x more..

Writing
Broken Walls Broken Walls

A Poem by Aehr


Silver. Silver.

A Poem by Aehr


Swansong Swansong

A Poem by Aehr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Speak Up Speak Up

A Poem by Lost, n'MT


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan