Prologue-Winters story

Prologue-Winters story

A Story by R. L. Ambar

Prologue

 

 

The cold crisp beat of rain speaks softly of winters return; I stand under the stars breathing in the nights chill, listening to the sounds of both nature and mankind. It is surprising to me that I cannot here one without the other, suburbia has entwined both and no one realizes that they are separate anymore. I can feel the ice droplets rolling down my creeks, water is purity, the center of all living things, but I have never really stood and taken it in before. It is as if the world is blessing us now with rain, showering us in praise, watering the earth and the land upon which we live. Almost as quickly as it had come, the rain stopped, my skin was still cold and the wind still ran but the rain did not touch my skin. I opened my eyes and saw the underline of an umbrella, a young man stood beside of me, his eyes were dark, and worry ran across his face.

“Miss, are you alright?”

I starred at him, almost angered at his brutal interruption of my almost meditative thoughts. “I am listening,” I said with a stern voice.

“What to?”

“The rain,”

“Okay then,” he said with a hint of questioning. His dark hair was dry, and blew gently across his forehead; his eyes were deep, pleasant.

“Do you like winter?”

I ask more out of boredom then out of interest, he seemed attractive and my thoughts were ruined, there was no reason in turning away now.

“I guess so, but I much more of a summer person,” he laughed. “I have never liked the cold.” I smiled at him, someone who was again, oblivious to the beauty of the world around them. How naïve, not liking winter for something as simple as the cold, my skin began to shake, I realized then how cold I actually was.

“Are you cold?” he asked with the utter most interest.

“Yes, but I still like winter.” He smiled at me, and then juggling the umbrella between his hands he removed his coat and placed it around my shoulders. It was still warm from his body, I looked at him, his skin was pale like my own, and his body was tall and slender. “Thankyou,” I said bowing my head in return,

“Where are you going?”

“Home,” I said, not knowing if that was true, I had no intent of returning anywhere only moments ago.

“I will walk you then,” his words were solid and I knew that there was no bartering with him about this. I turned and began to walk, his footsteps followed close to mine, and his umbrella stayed above my head. “Do you always do such random acts of kindness for strangers?” I asked trying not to sound too interested.

“Not really,” he said with a half laugh, “but you look like you need some.”

I stoped suddenly, and turned to face him, I lifted a hand to his cheek, feeling his cold skin under my touch. I stood closer to him pressing my body against his, standing on my toes; I kissed him gently on the lips. He did not move. We stood there, lips touching, in the winters night chill for what seemed a life time. He did not pull away, nor did he call after me as I turned and wandered into the darkness leaving him and his umbrella behind, I did not look back but only pulled his coat closer to me as I walked away.

© 2009 R. L. Ambar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems to me that you've got things moving a little fast, but your writing is very expressive and solid. I love the first lines with the talk of rain and I was drawn right in.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very strong beginning to what, i hope is a full length novel. Good descriptive usage of nature, to move the plot of the story. Mixed with strong dialogue, which felt totally natural to me. Not an easy thing, to accomplished but you did it. Beyond some minor typos and grammars errors, which can be fixed with good editting. Thank you, for sharing this prologue with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmm, interesting. I really liked this. But when the story first started out, i don't know, but somehow I was picturing the man as someone much older than the girl, then that changed towards the end of the story. I don't know what it was, just a feeling I had.

Anyway, loved it... Strangers meeting, strangers parting.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i really enjoyed this piece. very well written with a smooth pleasant flow. an interesting insight into ones perspective of nature and seeing it for all its beauty. this intertwined with the interaction of strangers, leading to a sweet and also somewhat sad moment.

all in all very well done. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2009

Author

R. L. Ambar
R. L. Ambar

Australia



About
18 Female Australia Currently studying Bachelor of Communications more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..