Wishes

Wishes

A Story by SV
"

A girl who is fed up with the problems in her life is running away. Read to find out what happens in the end.

"

            Sometimes surrounded by all this hate can be a bad thing. Did I say sometimes, I meant all the time. They fight, they yell, the hit, they repel. I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to get away. That’s why I had planned to run away tonight. I know it’s not the right choice, but it definitely is the better choice. I can’t take the car sadly, but I can take the bike. That’s the only other option I have. I would have to wait until a certain hush fell over the entire house. Until my father left to go sleep at a friend’s house. By that time my mother, exhausted from yelling, would be asleep. With the help of pills, of course. You may think I take all of this lightly, and sometimes when the nights are quieter than usual, I do. But today, I respect my decision.

            Midnight is when I leave. I climb out the window, the bike all ready and waiting for me. I’ve only brought along enough clothes to keep me clean for a week. I have enough money to keep me going for a year, and if I need some more, I’ve got my own bank account. I throw out the rope and climb down it. I do it effortlessly. I actually make a lot of clatter, but she doesn’t notice. My backpack is hanging on my back and my cell phone is in there, just in case. I decide to just walk with my bike, due to the fact that the tire has been flattened, no doubt by my crazy neighbor. I would miss five-year old Matt. Oh, how his smile made my mouth turn up and the way his lisp made me laugh the first time I met him.

            I have to leave him behind though, so I can live a happier life on my own. I wish I could’ve said goodbye to him. I wish I could have said goodbye to Lucy, my best friend. I told her nothing of this plan, because I knew she would’ve told my bickering parents every detail. I sigh as I think of her foolish antics. The way she would put herself out there and make sure I got more exposure than her. That’s how I met Finn, my other best friend. I should’ve said goodbye to him especially. He’s the one who’s always been there for me. The one who’s put up with my whining. The one who’s been a best friend to me. I wish I could see his dazzling smile one last time. I want to look into his slate gray eyes one last time. I hope he’s okay with me leaving him with his rival, Lucy.

            I would miss their fights that meant nothing. I would miss their stupid jokes, their hilarious phrases, the nicknames, the endless embraces, everything. I would turn back, but right now, that would be a horrible idea. If I go back, I give up, and I don’t want to give up. I want to keep going, keep walking toward my humble abode for the next few weeks. The streets. I have to go. I try not to think of everyone I would miss. My mother, my friends, my brother. Jake. How could I leave him alone to deal with all of this? How could I be so cruel? I know why. He’s leaving in a week for college. I felt it was better that I leave before he does. I don’t want to be left alone in this horrid place called life. He, like my friends, has always put up with me. Granted, he was going through the same things, but I was the only one who couldn’t put on a brave face like him. I always wondered how he did it, how he could act so brave when inside we was so messed up. I want to be in his arms one more time, for one last hug, but that would be too risky.

            As I walk along the sidewalk, I can see that some TVs in some homes are still on. They’re still on in homes of happy families. Of happy children. In a home with no problems. I’m about to cross the street, but like I was taught when I was younger I looked both ways and then crossed. I walk leisurely because when I looked, it seemed like no car was coming for a while. Boy was I wrong. I saw the headlights and I knew I should’ve moved, but it seemed like my feet were glued to the ground. I looked down and saw that my shoes were stuck in gum. I couldn’t move after that, because the car came closer and closer until I lost consciousness. The heavy weight on my shoulders hadn’t been lifted. It felt as if weight had been added.

 

 

            The lights are so bright when I wake up. The hospital room has been lit up so intensely. I felt so weak and it was hard to breathe. I heard a faint beeping sound in the background. I realize that a breathing mask has been stuck on my face. I take big deep breaths, but they’re never enough. I slowly move my head to see the room. There are flowers by my side with a card that I probably will never read. The shelf on the wall in front of me is full with books that I would never enjoy and to my right is a window through which I see all of my loved ones. My brother, my parents, Lucy, Finn, and even Matt. They’re all crying heavy tears. Matt’s mom is trying to take him away, but he’s throwing a tantrum. Lucy and Finn’s hands are joined. My brother’s hand is touching the glass between us and for the first time in a long time, my parents are holding each other. I try to smile, but my attempt is weak. The sight of my parents brings back memories of Disneyland and beaches and running in the backyard. My wishes had come true. I wished that I could see all of these loving people, and I have. For the last time.

            In the next second, my heart squeezes in my chest and the one tear rolls down my cheek. I hear the long beep in the background that should be the heart monitor. Hearing that sound made me realize that this is the last second of my life. The last second of my torturous, agonizing life. I see the world around me going black, the sounds growing dimmer and dimmer. That’s it. It’s The End.   

© 2009 SV


Author's Note

SV
Tell me your emotions when you read this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on December 28, 2009
Last Updated on December 28, 2009

Author

SV
SV

Collierville, TN



About
I love music, that's it and nothing more I like poetry, and love writing (no duh!) more..

Writing
Careless Careless

A Poem by SV


Hate Hate

A Poem by SV


Breathe Breathe

A Poem by SV