Opaque

Opaque

A Story by Sar-un
"

A story about self discover, forgiveness and friendship

"
What do you call Life?

What meaning have you given to Love?

Define happiness,

How many beginnings are there?

Which beginning do you prefer to remember?

Do you know the people that claim they love you...truly?

Are you sure,truly sure you are who you think you are?

3years ago.

'She's fine now,her condition is stable, but she has a strained ankle,looking at the X-ray chart,she hit her head pretty bad, she has a concussion at the side of her head,when she awakens we will have to examine her, to know how bad it is. It shouldn't be anything too serious' the doctor looked up, opened his mouth as if to continue and then decided against it, he turned right to a nurse standing at the foot end of the patient, take this file, add it to the patients older folder, I will like to go through it again, a few minutes after the nurse left the room, he turned to look at the mother of the young Lady lying stll on the bed,who has the girls limp hands in both of hers, how did this happen? he queried, the woman who is distraught at seeing her only daughter helpless answered with a question of her own,' but why is she so calm? she should be moving or talking or...her eyes should atleast be open' 'She is fine madame, she was given aspirin to reduce the pain, she must have been afraid. How did it happen?' he asked again, The woman who was in her early forties looked up at the doctor, she swallowed, and sucked in a mouthful of breathe, 'I don't know, she gently placed the girls hand back at her side I heard her scream, when I rushed into her room, she was on the floor, a few inches away from her full length mirror, unconcious'. At that moment the girl stirred from her slumber and moaned, her eyes slowly opened trying to adjust to light and the swaying objects which were still, her mother turned her attention back to the girl with a sad smile and glistening eyes,she touched the girls hands again,' You are awake,not knowing whether it was meant as a question, the girl nodded,we were worried sick about you' She moved her head to the side a little bit, thinking of what the woman just said, the doctor cleared his throat then, both head turned to regard him, he walked closer to the bed'Are you okay?' The girl looked sideways, weighting his question before she nodded, he looked at the girls mother,'please wait outside' what do you mean 'wait outside?' 'give me a few minutes with her,' 'but Doctor'... she started, The Doctor turned to her with a stern expression, 'A few minutes madame,let me run a check up,' The woman looked at her daughter, who was watching her with a frown,' I will be outside, call me if you need anything' the girl nodded.

The Doctor shifted his attention back go the patient, 'How are you feeling?' My left l-leg h-hurts,' she stuttered,and then cleared her throat, the doctor held his fore fingers up, the girl raised her eyebrows in question, 'how many fingers am i holding up?' 'just one' can you read my name tag? he continued' Dr.Elias Badmus?' he nodded and marked something on a folder,'What is your name?' he asked without looking up,She looked up at him and widened her eyes a little bit.'What?'she asked him back, that was when he stared at her'Your name' he asked again.'I-I don't know'she whispered,

The Doctor strode out of the room, to where the girls mother was,'let me see you in my office.'

____________________The same day and hospital_____________________

'Do you think she will remember?' The tall guy asked the lady he was standing with,'I don't know,do you...she looked up at him,do you want her to remember?'what?! No!! he answered without thinking,it will ruin her, he looked down and put his right hand at the nape of his neck,it will ruin me...he looked at the door leading to the room where his girlfriends leg was being looked at, and us', she wanted to ask:us as in me and you or us as in you and her, just then the Nurse walked out, 'You can both see her now.' 'You should go in first,this is all your fault.he accused, she looked up at him with longing and paused her lips, 'yeah, I should, after all, she is my sister,'she looked round the hospital's waiting room,'on second thought,he said,lets go in together.'

They entered inside the room, The tall guy cleared his throat,drawing the attention of the chocolate skinned lady sitting on the bed, she looked up at him and her eyes travelled a little lower to the lady who stood behind him, 'You okay?' the girl sitting on the bed shrugged,'pretty much, it's just a sprained ankle.'her sister nodded,'So, you did not lose you memory like in the movies, yes? she averted her gaze to the guy,bit her lower lip,'uhm...I remember walking in on you guys almost tearing eachothers clothes off,then erm...I stumbled into the stupid vase I asked the maid to get rid off,and fellq,that was how I sprained my ankles...she answered,looking down as if in thought,so...no I still have my memories,this is not a movie, thank you very much.'Aina listen,he started coming closer, don't you dare come any closer,she clenched her jaws,closed her eyes for a few seconds, and shook her head, when she opened them,the two people looked at each other,Leave me alone for a few minutes,'Aina...'her sister started, she raised her index finger in a warning, 'I am not yelling at you both yet, so just get out okay! call the driver on your way out.' 'stop being immature and listen' 'listen to what? do you think I'm even going to understand anything you f*****g say! this is an hospital, I wouldnt want to wake up dead people, just get the hell out, and call me the driver.

About thirty minutes after they left, nurses came in, holding a cast, she will be discharged soon,all she had to do was wait for the driver, who was taking forever to get there, she got tired of waiting and perceiving the smell of medicine and injections, she decided to exit the room, she was struggling to get use to walking with the aid of sticks when she saw someone else in similar condition, only this girl was not struggling, she seemed to know how to use it, she walked to a seat, and placed the casts on the wall,'Do you mind if I sit here?' Aina looked up, and thought of giving the girl she saw earlier a reply like'Its not my fathers hospital or it's not meant for stones to sit'she decided against it and replied with 'sure' they both sat quietly for a few minutes before the girl asked looking at the dressed up wound on Aina's right leg'whats your story?' Aina looked at the girl, and looked down at her own legs,'I fell' the girl waited for her to continue,when she didnt, she smiled and shook her head, 'whats yours?'Aina asked back,'I fell' the girl answered, Aina nodded, My name is Adura by the way. 'Aina' Adura nodded and smiled lightly, 'Do you mind if I get your number?' Aina looked at the girl who would be around her age too, what harm would she do? Aina thought, besides, its about time I changed my friends.

They looked at eachother, and both smiled. It is the beginning of many beginnings.

© 2017 Sar-un


Author's Note

Sar-un
what do you think of the prologue? I want a review and please feel free to criticize this work. Constructive criticism please not destructive criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on May 22, 2017
Last Updated on May 22, 2017
Tags: #Amnesia, #Hate, #Peace, #Family, #AfricanNigerian

Author