The Pool of Wishes

The Pool of Wishes

A Story by Sarrow

The shimmering pool sat complacent before her, the cave that held it not allowing an inch of wind to dare unsettle the smooth surface. She had travelled far to be there through treacheries and pain, but standing there now, she knew it all worth it.

“The pool of wishes.” The words whispered off her tongue, echoing around the cave. It had only been a fantasy when she had first heard of it when she was young, but when her father had died, she had searched for the truth far and wide. She had been hopeful, and she had found.

Her father had been all she ever had, the one she depended on, the one she loved. When he died she thought time would heal it, but after three years she knew that time was not her friend. She missed him, and she had to find him. This pool, the story that spoke of its possibility, was all she had. And she had searched, and now she had found.

The pool sparkled. She stepped forward, she knew what it do. She knelt before the edge, and her hands reached out to dip themselves into the smooth liquid. It was cool, and her hands disappeared into a shimmer. She cupped them and pulled them out, a small pool of water dripping through her fingers. She took a deep breath, she had waited so long for this moment.

“I wish I could see my father again.” The water touched her lips, and she drank.

Her eyes closed, she felt the water swell through her body. She was becoming light, she was being encompassed in a light. She could have been tumbling, or staying still, she couldn’t tell, but when she no longer felt the water coursing through her body, she opened her eyes.

He was there, his standing figure shining in light.

She smiled, and he smiled back at her.

She didn’t need to look around, she knew where she was, there was only one place she could be.

He opened his arms to her and she went.

And together they were, in death.

© 2013 Sarrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, just wow- I did not see that end coming. It imagery blew me away...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sarrow

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much.
Oh my gosh!!! I still have goosebumps from reading this. Beautiful imagery, accompanied with the purest and truest of emotions. The hope and the love is so strong, I felt as though I were watching the girl jn person. Absolutely love it, and the irony of the ending: she is dead but it doesn't strike as a negative thing because she has her father. Beautiful, wonderful, well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sarrow

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much. I'm happy you didn't see the end as a negative thing because I didn't want it to s.. read more
Cmerideth

10 Years Ago

I didn't get a single negative vibe from this piece and I loved that about it. Thanks for sharing it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2013
Last Updated on October 11, 2013

Author

Sarrow
Sarrow

Australia



About
And I'm on. The curtain rises, a single spotlight illuminating the person in the middle of the stage. They stand, not a word said, as slowly a colour wash begins to lighten the surroundings. Around t.. more..