Love is Blind

Love is Blind

A Story by SittingInTheRainx

When I was younger, every single sight amazed me, sparked my imagination. The beautiful colors and sights, the way the sunsets and sunrises looked, the pines that towered over me, the flowers that spring brought. How lucky I was.. because on my tenth birthday, I became permanently blind. 
My mother had argued with me all morning, trying to get me into that obnoxiously poofy pink dress. I refused, repulsed by the idea. When she finally got me into it, it was time to go. My party was being held at the park. We got into the car, and my mother began to drive. I looked out the window, staring at the cotton ball clouds in awe. I snapped out of my daze as soon as I heard car horns blaring. I looked through the windshield, and a red sports car collided with my mother's white van. the windshield shattered, and a shard of glass got into my eyes. I cried in pain, my mother struggling in the front seat. She somehow managed to get her way out, then flung the back door open and got me out of my seat. she held me, wiping the blood on my cheeks away with her sleeve.. 
Everything went black, but I remember hearing the sirens of the ambulance, and my mother whispering,"You'll be ok, Molly.. you'll be ok.."
Chapter 1

Here I am now, six years after the accident. I remember having wavy red hair, a deep red that reminded me of blood. Blood; i shudder when I hear that word. My eyes used to be an emerald color, but now my mother tells me they're a smoky grey. She says I'm almost as tall as her, about average weight. This is how i picture myself in my mind. 
I turn onto my side, the plush blanket over my body. I feel for my stuffed animal; a white rabbit that I've had for as long as I can remember. Since the accident, my hearing has been sharpened. I hear the doorknob turn; then footsteps. 
"Good morning, Molly.." my mother's sweet voice chimes.
"Good morning, mom.." I say, sitting up. 
She sits on my bed, and brushes the hair out of my face. She's been patient with me; helping me learn to see without my eyes. I know it's hard for her, but I'm thankful. She's a strong woman. My father is rarely home, he's a business man. He travels to foreign countries often. He calls me on the telephone, and describes his adventures. He has a gentle voice, but it's hard for me to imagine some of what he says, partially because I've never seen anything like it.
"Your breakfast is ready." She says.
She helps me up and leads me to the kitchen. My room used to be upstairs, but after the accident my mother didn't want me walking up and down the stairs,afraid I'd fall. My parents turned our second dining room into a new bedroom for me, and I have my own bathroom now. I have the layout of the house memorized. I remember where the couch is, and the living room, and everything else. I sit at our dining room table.
"I made your favorite muffins." my mother says, I can tell she's smiling.
"Thank you..!" I grin, feel around my plate. I pick the muffin up, and sink my teeth into the soft, fluffy top. Banana nut; delicious. I finish my muffin quickly.
"Your father and I have been thinking about getting you a guide dog.." my mother says. The legs of the chair make a strange noise, my mother must have pulled a chair out.
"oh.." I say. I'm not too sure what to think. "a dog.."
"Yes, a dog.." my mother says. "We think it would give you more independence..you could go out more.." 
I wasn't exactly sure what to think. The entire time I was blind, my mother or my best friend Leanne had helped me around. I sat there silently, unsure of what to say. I mean, having a guide dog wouldn't be that bad, would it? I'd have a furry friend to be with me through everything, and it would give my mom more time to do what she'd like. I felt bad taking all of her time up; I was so needy now. 
"So, what do you think, Molls?" my mom broke my chain of thought.
"Oh.. well.. I guess.." I say, worry in my voice. 
"what's the worst that can happen?" my mom says cheerily; and in my mind she's smiling.
"So.. when are we going to get the dog?" I say, biting my lip.
"Next weekend!" She says; again in my mind, she's smiling.
I nod, tapping my fingertips on the table. I was bored now. I used to read a lot, but now I can't. Most of the simple pleasures in life were no longer my pleasures, more like a constant painful reminder of that fateful day. No books, no TV, no shopping for cute clothes, no sight seeing, nothing. Some people take the simple things for granted. I heard a faint pitter patter; LeAnne. The doorbell rang, and the doorknob turned.
"Hey Molly!" LeAnne chimed in her deep but soft voice. She hugged me from behind. 
"Hey!" I smiled, holding her hand. 
LeAnne always smelled like Mandarin blossom, which I loved. I remember her having light brown hair, blue eyes with long eyelashes, and a few freckles. Now, I imagine her as a thin, tall girl with a kind face. 
"Wanna go to the park today?" She said; I imagined she was smiling like she always did.
"Sure." I smile, squeezing her hand. She helps me to my room.
"Today, you're going to wear a pretty yellow and white sunflower print sundress, white flip flops, and wear a daisy in your hair." She smiles. 
I sit down on my bed as she rummages through my closet. She hands the dress to me, and I change into it. She fixes the straps and brushes my hair.
"Your hair is so gorgeous.." she coos, and I smile.
"And for the finishing touch.." she says, placing what I imagine to be a white daisy in my hair. "..there.."
"Let's go!" I say, standing up, and sliding the flip flops on.
LeAnne hooks her arm through mine.
"Bye mom!" I call as I slide my sunglasses on, and we slip out of the door.
LeAnne and I walked to the community park, and we sat down on the cool grass. It was a warm sunny day. I knew it was sunny, because I could feel the warm rays on my skin.

© 2011 SittingInTheRainx


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, this piece really packed quite a blow. The beginning seemed so wonderful, and then the contrast towards the end was really good. You managed to mix a lot of emotions in just a few paragraphs, which is quite a talent. I liked it. I really did. I would like to read more from you. Do send me a read request when you post more =]
p.s. I like your screen name =]
All in all, great work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was reading all perfectly fine and when you mentioned that it was good that Molly watched all the sights because on her tenth birthday she turned blind I just stopped. I mean, I read the rest of the story but I was just so shocked. (but isn't that what everyone wants?) When you went on to explain how and why it was so vivid I could picture it perfectly in my mind. XD

Good job! :D

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this piece really packed quite a blow. The beginning seemed so wonderful, and then the contrast towards the end was really good. You managed to mix a lot of emotions in just a few paragraphs, which is quite a talent. I liked it. I really did. I would like to read more from you. Do send me a read request when you post more =]
p.s. I like your screen name =]
All in all, great work.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 1, 2010
Last Updated on January 12, 2011
Tags: blind, love, romance, challenges, drama, family, friends
Previous Versions