Brothers

Brothers

A Story by ShadowWolf
"

"In memory and honor of all those who now serve and those who have gone before"

"

I must tell you I am a most fortunate man because I have two sons who are both Marines and I hear from them often. It is a great joy to be able to talk with them, to hear the sound of their voices, to listen to their words and thoughts, to “see” the kind of men they have become. It is my younger son, Stephen, who is more available and I talk with more frequently.

 

Nearly four years ago he told me that he had volunteered to go to Iraq. Can you imagine the fear I felt? We talked and talked as often as possible over the course of the next few weeks. There was one question that I asked each time. “Why?” His reply was always the same “because my “brothers” are there and I need to be there for them.”

 

Those who have served in war understand the term and meaning of “brother” very well. For those who have never served the term “brother” is one of the most powerful concepts for a combat soldier. A “brother” is one that fights beside you. A “brother” is one has your “back”. A “brother” is one who would die for you. There is no greater trust than the bond that is formed between combat soldiers.

 

Fortunately because of his particular duties he has not been allowed to go and that still bothers him. Like those so many others who are stationed safely here he does whatever he can for those going, are already there, and especially those returning.

 

Every single time I think of these conversations a song immediately comes to mind that explains this bond much better than my poor words could. At the time this song first came out the meaning was intended to be much more universal than how I apply it here but it perfectly fits what the men and women of our combat military share.

 

 

“The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where,
Who knows when
But I'm strong,
Strong enough to carry him.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

So on we go.
His welfare is my concern.
No burden is he to bear,
We'll get there.
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

If I'm laden at all,
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another.

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return.
While we're on the way to there,
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

He's my brother.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...”

 

 

Though those who serve today are not of my generation or of my war, I am honored to claim each and every single one of them as a “brother.”

 

“They ain’t heavy, they are my brothers”

In 1924, the first editor of Kiwanis Magazine, Roe Fulkerson, published a column carrying the title "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". Dated September 1924, the article speaks of Fulkerson's inspiring encounter with "a spindly and physically weak lad" carrying a baby and "staggering towards a neighboring park".

" 'Pretty big load for such a small kid' I said as I met him. 'Why, mister,' he smiled, 'He ain't heavy; he's my brother.' "

The first-released and best-known version of this song was recorded by The Hollies in 1969. One of the group's biggest hits, it became one of the most defining and enduring tunes of that era. He Ain't Heavy was composed by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell. The original recording featured Elton John on piano and lead singer Allan Clark.

 

This Memorial Day on May 26th, if you support them, if you care for them, show it. Do something to let them know….a letter, a card, a phone call…..anything! Visit a soldier, young or old it matters not if you personally know them just a simple “thank you” will do.

 

Honor those who have fallen! Attend a service at a military cemetery.

 

© 2008 ShadowWolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a wonderful tribute and reminder! As a child I first fell in love with that song when Olivia-Newton-John redid it on one of her albums. Thanks for the history behind it. Very interesting. I love finding out where songs got their start. You've really made all of us think here about Memorial Day as more then just a weekend getaway like its become. Thank you for that.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent, Bob. Sorry it escaped me these past few days.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I am so very glad that your sons have the courage to fight for our safety and way of life. Please Thank them from me to them and anyone else who will listen. I lit a candle on Memorial Day, that was all i could really do, kids and family stuff. Good job and thank you for sharing!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Bravo. I really enjoyed it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a wonderful tribute and yes, there is no more appropriate song than that one. Blessings to you Shadow Wolf for helping us remember them on this particular holiday.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A great piece here hon. A good reminder for everyone! Well done.

Faerie Blessings

--faerie whisper (breaking the silence...)

Posted 15 Years Ago


You are the very best! So is this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful tribute and reminder! As a child I first fell in love with that song when Olivia-Newton-John redid it on one of her albums. Thanks for the history behind it. Very interesting. I love finding out where songs got their start. You've really made all of us think here about Memorial Day as more then just a weekend getaway like its become. Thank you for that.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2008

Author

ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf

Dallas, TX



About
An "old man", not by choice in the sense of years since I am five years older than dirt and two years older than baseball. Age is simply a state of mind and that being the case then my mind tells me I.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..