The Fairies' Fall & the Rascal's Ruin

The Fairies' Fall & the Rascal's Ruin

A Story by Jonathan Lee
"

The first in a series of fairy tales I wrote for the world of Soyl.

"

A long time ago, when fairies were young and Man had just been born into the world, the rascal made a form just like a wolf. The rascal was fond of shaping himself into whatsoever his heart inclined. Long since falling from grace, the rascal’s heart inclined him to evil. Knowing that the fays were fond of Man, and wolves were friends to both, the rascal went out from his abyss a shadow in wolves’ clothing, so as to deceive The One’s children.

It was in that time that The One had set a prohibition on the Tree of Conscience. Although Man knew not what the tree was for, he trusted firmly in his Maker’s wisdom. It was thus the fays that the rascal approached one day. Dressed as the largest and most regal of wolves, the rascal looked off to the tree and said to the fays, “Is it really so that The One has kept Man from eating of that tree?”

In reply, the he-fay said to the rascal, “Yes, it is so. For if Man eats from it now, he will positively die.”

“Bah!” said the rascal, “He will not die. We all know that the tree will bring Man great joy in his heart. Once he eats from it, his eyes are bound to be opened, and he is bound to be like The One yet more, feeling all that is good.” This was a lie of course, but like all effective lies it wrapped itself in truth. In due time, when The One had seen fit, Man would feel great joy at all the good he set out to do. However, like men still feel today, his heart would turn against him if he set out to do bad. In great pangs of distress, he would suffer the sting of guilt, and while the guilt itself would not leave him dead, it would signal the greater pain he had caused to his soul.

Not knowing the full truth, the fays discussed what next they should do. It was in that very hour that The One called out to them, knowing the intention of their hearts. The One said to them, “Why have you hidden yourselves, here in the darkest corner of the forest? Has something raised your curiosity here, for which you might inquire of me?” The One’s last question was twofold in meaning…

It was at that moment that the he-fay decided in his heart to keep his thoughts hidden. He therefore kept his questions to himself, for his trust had faltered in his Maker. The One thus went away, knowing the fay’s thoughts, but leaving him with the freedom of choice.

After some time, the fays approached Man with great concern. Thinking themselves hidden, as The One watched afar in great sorrow, the he-fay told Man what the rascal had said. Everything Man knew told him that this could not be so. However, as is true today, his desire bested his reason.

Lusting after the tree, and the power it must surely hold, Man agreed to the fays’ plan. Thus, on the next day in the same hour, the she-fay crossed over the river of life, where Man could not go, and picked a single fruit from the tree. She then crossed back, and gave him the fruit with great urgency. Man at last hesitated, but at the insistence of the he-fay, Man quickly consumed the stolen food.

For Man’s great sin, he was thrust out of the forest, ever separated from his former kin. The two fays sobbed in sorrow, while the rascal laughed in his lair. Nothing goes unseen from The One, however. And so it was that the rascal was brought forth from his dark abode to pay for what he had done.

The One layed a curse upon the rascal, that whensoever he might take form in the world, that form would be his own and no other’s. Thus, the rascal could dress only as the wolf. However, according to his own disposition, that form changed over times and seasons to a vision most dreadful.

Despite his terrible appearance, the rascal was still able to charm some wolves into his dark lair. It was thus in the dark places of the world, that the rascal did great evils upon The One’s creatures. He raped the she-wolves of the land, and destroyed them when he had his spawn, discarding his b*****s like pelts. Then, with his dark pups he twisted the forms of any others that might fall to their charm.

Thus the dark wolves of shadow, their appearance being not much more than raiment, came to be known as werewolves. And for their deeds in the forest, the she-fay came to be known as pixie, and the he-fay known as trixie.

© 2016 Jonathan Lee


Author's Note

Jonathan Lee
In case it isn't immediately obvious, this work is intended to be in the literary tradition of classic fairy tales like that of the Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Andersen. I only make mention of that fact since I have received feedback on another forum where the reviewer seemed to critique it as though it were contemporary fiction. That's simply not what I'm trying to accomplish here. (However successful I've been in that regard I leave to you to determine.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016

Author

Jonathan Lee
Jonathan Lee

Tucson, AZ



About
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." - G. K. Chesterton more..

Writing