Desire for all that is Lost

Desire for all that is Lost

A Poem by Jasmine S. Edwards

     From my room I witness the big yellow fiery ball rising over the tall round obstacle across town. A town full of many problems, boredom and unsatisfaction. I want to leave. I get up and stand on my balancing boards and head outside. Today, something is different, very different.

     The town was gone and all that was left was a field. A field of colors, with a flowing body of water, running through it. I take a stroll through this rainbow field and come across an apple tree. The apples were ripe, a beautiful red in which you can see my own reflection.  This was something I also could see from the river, which was crystal clear. My tummy became enraged, so I ate a couple of those apples. I didn’t know what to do with them, so I threw them into the stream, hoping they would find a place to decompose.  As the day grew old, I desired a place to sleep. With two five finger tools I constructed a bed from the flowers, leaves, and wood from the tree. Lying in my bed with content, I look around at my beloved surroundings and doze off.  A perfect day in a perfect place, I never want to leave.          
     As I awaken my vision must have been blurry, for what I saw grey pillows in a gray sky over a grey field. The tree was barren and the river was dried up.
I rubbed my brown spheres to see if I was dreaming, but within seconds teardrops were falling from the clouds. I had to take cover. Just then clouds began to surround me, dense and gray.  Eventually all I could see were towers of dim green and brown, stretching for miles (they weren’t there before). I had no where else to go, so I bolted towards the fading colors hoping to find shelter. Ironically enough, the sky became wrathful, rumbling with rage shown through noise and flashes of white. (Where has my paradise gone)?  I desired to be back at home, back in my bed.  

     I reached this dark place, all alone; nobody here, nobody there. I had peace and quiet, something I’ve always desired, but not this kind of loneliness. My pink ball of noodles started to unravel, and slowly but surely I shed tears of a clown.  Was I a fool for trying to fulfill my desires? Was I a fool for giving up the things I already had, that last, for things I desired, that don’t last? I desired a paradise, my own sanctuary, where I could do anything I please when I pleased; to be away from boredom, problems, and unsatisfaction.

     Were my desires a sin, a sin of greed? OR is it necessary to have greed to fulfill my desires?

Now I desire for what I have lost or may be missing, and in this dark place I search for the light. The light that will give me the strength to find the door, that leads me out of my room and into the big wide world.      I get up and stand on my balancing boards and head outside. Today, something is different, very different. I see a town full of opportunity, waiting for me to pursue it.

© 2013 Jasmine S. Edwards


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a very pleasant find while searching on here; your usage of different fonts, colours, and formatting strikes an intriguing blend of writing and art. At first I thought it was going to be hard to read because of it, but as I went along I found it actually added to the surreal aspect of your writing. It helps the reader immerse in dream-like aspect of the story and makes a well written piece even more enjoyable.

Great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jasmine S. Edwards

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! My English teacher loved this one too. She pretty much said the same thing.. read more
Mittens

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome. :) Keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to seeing what other kinds of.. read more



Reviews

This was a very pleasant find while searching on here; your usage of different fonts, colours, and formatting strikes an intriguing blend of writing and art. At first I thought it was going to be hard to read because of it, but as I went along I found it actually added to the surreal aspect of your writing. It helps the reader immerse in dream-like aspect of the story and makes a well written piece even more enjoyable.

Great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jasmine S. Edwards

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! My English teacher loved this one too. She pretty much said the same thing.. read more
Mittens

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome. :) Keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to seeing what other kinds of.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

464 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 25, 2013
Last Updated on August 26, 2013

Author

Jasmine S. Edwards
Jasmine S. Edwards

Rochester, NY



About
College student who loves to write in my free time :) Always looking for inspiration and a good story to read. I write what comes to my mind or my takes on stories unfinished. My smart phone, a pen a.. more..

Writing