Public Libraries – 2016 Challenge.

Public Libraries – 2016 Challenge.

A Story by Sally Shiv
"

Executive Chairman of Cool Corp, Joe Issa, says the National Library of Jamaica (NLJ) is an essential part of our nation’s educational system as it promotes reading proficiency, and supply’s an extens

"

Executive Chairman of Cool Corp, Joe Issa, says the National Library of Jamaica (NLJ) is an essential part of our nation’s educational system as it promotes reading proficiency, and supply’s an extensive variety of information for all ages.

Their travelling libraries provide facilities for the old and the blind and the hearing-impaired, and in many cases are available in local schools, hospitals, and jails. They are an intricate part of our nation’s learning power and therefore plays a positive role in the education of our nation’s future entrepreneurs and business leaders. There are, however, definite gaps in our education system and these gaps can be plugged with a well-funded library service.

Joey pointed out that The Caribbean Education Foundation (CEF) reports that the issues affecting high schools are: Overall, attendance 65% and leading to chronic underachievement; to which 40�"50% of students in the system are below their grade level (approximately 300,000 children). By Grade 9, hundreds of thousands of students, especially boys, cannot read or write and many students are functionally illiterate leaving a scant 20% of secondary graduates qualifying for meaningful employment and/or entry into post-secondary programs.

The National Library of Jamaica (NLJ) has he said, the ability to allow greater access of information to both children and adults who would otherwise be unable to gain the knowledge of technology, thus making it impossible for them to compete successfully as future workers in the nation.

Joey states that The National Library of Jamaica (NLJ) has responsibility for one hundred and twenty-four (124) public libraries, nine hundred and twenty-six (926) school libraries throughout the island. It is the only organization which provides free, unlimited public access to recorded information. It also operates four hundred and eleven (411) mobile library stops, as well as offers access points for twenty-two (22) special categories of persons.

If our nation is to survive and grow our children must be educated he said, no nation can expect to thrive without education/knowledge at its fingertips. If this continues Joey warns, the illiteracy rate in the country will continue to rise hindering social and economic growth within our nation.

Unfortunately, the National Library of Jamaica’s (NLJ) has made little or no effect on the educational process in the past years due to its lack of funding. And, although the (NLJ) envisions that by the year 2016, it will have made a positive impact on our nation’s development.

Joey suggests that contrary to the vision statement made by (NLJ) of “Being well-resourced, well-managed and a technology enhanced organization equipped with well train staff; Provide universal access to information and knowledge, which will result in excellence in customer service; Resulting in an information literate society and a positive impact on national development”.

Saying in an interview Joey stated he was not convinced and that without maximum funding this would not be accomplished in the year 2016. A library system must be put in place that is accessible to all and is of the highest quality, he said, to fight illiteracy we must start in our local communities and supply the maximum amount of free information in whatever form it takes whether it be technologies, digitized materials, e-books or computers.

This being said he urged the (NLJ) to use whatever resources it has to encourage the public to register as long term members, urging them to cross the threshold to the library, to ensure both human and social achievements.

He continued by saying that literacy is the ability to use printed and written information to function in society. It provides us with the ability to achieve our personal goals, as well as develop our knowledge and skills, it is critical to the economic and social development of a nation, more so in a globalised world. A society with high literacy levels is a progressive society. Interestingly, as the society evolves, so too must the definition of literacy and the methods that lead to its goal.

Works Cited

Their Travelling libraries provide facilities for the old and the blind, and the hearing-impaired, and in many cases are available in local schools, hospitals, and jails. http://lis510-libraries.wikispaces.com/Different+types+of+libraries

Many students are functionally illiterate and only 20% of secondary graduates are qualified for meaningful employment and/or entry into post-secondary programs. http://www.educatechild.org/jamaica-solutions.php

It also operates four hundred and eleven (411) mobile library stops, as well as offers access points for twenty-two (22) special categories of persons. http://jis.gov.jm/agencies/jamaica-library-service/

© 2017 Sally Shiv


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on August 1, 2017
Last Updated on August 1, 2017
Tags: joe Issa, Joe Issa Jamaica, Joseph Issa, Joseph Issa Jamaica, Joey Issa, Joey Issa Jamaica, Jamaica