Chapter One: Life and Nobility

Chapter One: Life and Nobility

A Chapter by Skyliten
"

Chapter one from the book is complete.

"

Chapter One: Life, Death, and Nobility

 

      “Sire, I have bad news.” The doctor’s face was hanging low. Father knew the situation was grim. “What doctor? What has happened?” “Sire, Guinevere hasn’t made it.” His eyes swelled with tears as he took in the news. “What news of the child?” He expected the worst. “The child lives.” Father dropped to his knees, tears streaming down his face. “I want to see my child.”

The doctor left and returned with a tiny, baby boy. “What shall his name be milord?” He thought for a moment, and responded, “Quinn.” “Quinn is the perfect name for a perfect boy sire.” Father smiled. “Aye, Aye it is.” Father shook the doctor’s hand and left.

As father started the long journey home, the death of his lifelong love Guinevere, my mother, and how he was going to raise a newborn baby were running through his head. Father kept reassuring me, “Everything is going to be just fine.” I would always just smile and look on.

My father, Shalott, was the local blacksmith in Teames. He also fought in the war alongside of Sir Tallan, the king’s most trusted soldier. The king took a great liking in father’s work over the years, and showed him much respect. After the request of a new sword of Artriel, King Marron moved us into a house just below the castle where father had his own smithy.

       Father was a dedicated blacksmith and soldier to the king. Always watching everyone else’s back, and putting everyone’s needs before his own. His dedication to his work and the king earned himself a place on the council for the king. Father was a well trusted person to the king, but was disallowed as a nobleman due to his slave-born family history.

      One must have a minimum of three noble births in the family history to earn a place in the council, or earn the title of Nobleman. But with the dedication father has shown the kingdom, the king granted him his place on the council. However, even the king’s favor couldn’t change the opinions of the rest of the council. So no matter what father said to aid the kingdom, the other council members would look in disgust. Even though father thought it was a waste of time to be a councilman, he wasn’t about to give up his position within the king’s council.

      I remember being young and late one night there was a knock on the door. Father was asleep in his room as I was awake in mine. The knocking must have gone on for fifteen minutes, but father never answered it. I decided to walk downstairs and answer the door. “Can I help you?” The man at the door stayed silent. “Can I help you” I asked again. “I’m looking for Shalott.” I had never seen this man before so I was cautious. “Did you hear me Pip? I’m looking for Shalott.” The man’s demeanor instantly changed, and I knew something was wrong.

      Father always kept a small sword behind the door. I slowly reached for it and asked him to leave. “He is asleep. He has a long day tomorrow and needs his sleep.” The man lifted his head slightly and demanded to see my father. “Get him, now.” I pulled the sword from behind the door and shoved it in his face. “You will leave now.” The man cracked a small smile.

 “You think you can hurt me with that puny blade Pip?” I pushed the blade further in his face. “Father!” I heard nothing in return. “Father!” The man gave me a bigger smile. “Looks like your father won’t going to help you Pip.” I swung the sword towards him and gave him a small cut on his cheek.

      The look on his face instantly changed as he wiped the blood from his face. He looked at it as if he had never seen blood before, let alone his own. “You have just made a fatal mistake Pip.” I saw him make a sudden movement, and then everything went black. Next thing I saw was Sir Tallan was dragging me out of the house.

In the corner of my eye I saw a bright light. I turned my head and saw that the house was engulfed in flames. “Father! Father!” “Quinn, we’re doing everything we can to get your father out. I’ve sent men into the house to get him. As he said that the entire house collapsed.

      “Father! No!” I tried to run back towards the house, but Sir Tallan grabbed me and pulled me close. Time after time I broke free from his grasp, but he just kept grabbing me. “Quinn no, you can’t. There’s nothing we can do. I’m sorry” “No! Let go of me!” Just then my eyes lit a bright red and fire engulfed my hands and arms. Sir Tallan jumped back and his eyes grew wide. “What is this sorcery?! Guards! Guards! Seize the boy!” I had guards running at from all directions. One guard grabbed me and erupted into flames. Another tried to grab me. I moved and threw my hands at him, and fire flew from my fingertips. I stood still in amazement.  Awestruck from what had just happened.

      I collapsed on the ground, and the guards carried me into the tower. I woke up in Sir Tallan’s room. As I awoke I heard someone fumbling with the door. I quickly stood up and hid in the closet. The door opened and Sir Tallan walked in. “Quinn, you don’t need to be afraid son. Come on out.” I slowly opened the closet door and stepped out.

      “Quinn, I’m sorry about what happened. We did everything we could to save your father.” I stood silent and stared at the floor. “I know what happened is a lot to take in, but there are more pressing matters at hand right now.” I looked into his eyes, tears in mine and asked, “What could be more important than the death of my father?” “Come sit with me Quinn.”

      I slowly walked to the bed and sat down. “Son, last night you killed two royal guards. The king has ordered your death.” My eyes grew wide at this news. “My…My death?” Sir Tallan stood up and walked towards the window. “Yes Quinn. Even with your father being on the council, and my word that you wouldn’t harm anyone else, the king refused to hear me. Magic is banned in Artriel.” “There must be something else you can do!” My eyes swelled with tears and they began streaming down my face. I was a mere ten years old. I was too young to die because of something I had no control over.

“I do have a plan though. It’s our last hope.” My eyes grew wide. “What is it? I’ll do anything to stay alive.” “It’s a long shot, but it might work.” I walked over in front of Sir Tallan and bowed my head. “Anything milord.” “Your last hope would be admission into the academy.” “The academy? What kind of academy?”

Sir Tallan turned around, knelt in front of me, put his hands on my shoulders, and looked into my eyes. “The academy is for people like you, for people with the same talents that you possess. The academy will teach you to tap into your inner being and discover every spell you could cast, every good you could bring to the world. They will teach you to harness these powers. There are a few downsides, however.” I stood up and raised my brow. “What kind of downsides?” “After the academy, if you survive that is, you will spend your life serving in the king’s army. You will fight for him until your last breath. Escape is certain death by the hand of the king himself. There is no way out of this.”

“That doesn’t sound too bad.” Sir Tallan let out a heavy sigh and walked towards the door. “Quinn, I must go. I need to request an audience with the king. I’ll do what I can. They’re serving dinner in the slave’s hall. Go get some food, then come back here. Go nowhere else. I’ll meet you back here.” “Milord.” I bowed my head and walked out of the room.



© 2013 Skyliten


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on January 15, 2013
Last Updated on January 17, 2013


Author

Skyliten
Skyliten

Elkins, WV



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Skyliten