Bear Grills

Bear Grills

A Story by Dom
"

Another story about The Rising, a zombie apocalypse.

"

   Pittsburgh was in ruins, probably like the rest of the world. The dead now owned the streets along with the major street gangs and the members of the military who had gone rogue and created their own groups. Martial law was no longer in affect because everyone was looking out for themselves. Most of the city was going down in flames thanks to a riot next to a gas station. Someone had driven into a gas pump which caused a huge explosion that caught other nearby buildings on fire. Plus, a swarm of undead butterflies came through four days ago and wiped out every living thing that wasn't indoors.

   Ashley, a seventeen year old high school student, was on her way home from school when she encountered her first zombie. Now she was hiding with a rogue police officer named James, when a spray of bullets were fired at them from the gang across the street. She wasn't sure how the gang located her and James, but they needed to move quick. No telling what the gang might do if they got a hold of her.

   As the bullets struck the wall, Ashley ducked out of the way, dragging James with her so that he wouldn't get hit. Unfortunately for him, James had been shot twice in the head and once in the neck. Blood pooled around his body as more bullets came at her. She ran down an alleyway and out into the next street. She kept running until she didn't see anyone behind her. The street that she ended up on was crawling with the undead. The stench of rotting flesh was almost unbearable, especially in the summer heat.Vehicles and bodies, dead and undead, cluttered the streets demobilizing anyone who had planned on driving out of the city.

   Out of the corner of her eye, Ashley caught something moving near the dumpster next to her. She waited to see if whatever it was would come out, but curiosity got the best of her. She walked slowly towards the dumpster, but before she reached it something growled. She wasn't zombie-savvy, but she was pretty sure that zombies moaned and not growled. It wasn't just a normal bear though. Most of its fur had fallen out so that it was almost bald, exposing the wounds that the creature had endured. Blood and pus oozed from the bite marks that covered the bears decaying skin.

   The bear limped towards her as she quickly backed away. The other corpses didn't seem to notice her, but now the bear was starting to run. Ashley took off up the street until she reached a McDonalds. She looked through the windows before entering to make sure that the coast was clear. No zombie was going to have her for lunch! At least not at a McDonalds. She ran in and shut the door just before the bear was about to grab her. She wasn't sure how long the door was going to hold so she had to think of something fast. She looked around, but all she found was a few knives and a lighter. She ran to the back door, opened it, and cautiously stuck her head out. Zombies were strolling back and forth, and when a group of them moved, Ashley noticed a grill with a propane tank still attached sitting next to a pile of garbage. If she hurried, she'd be able to grab it and then get back inside before she became another victim of the undead.

   She swung open the door and hurried to the grill. The wheels were broken, so she half dragged, half carried it back inside. When she made it back to the front of the building, the bear had broken the glass and was on its way in. Hoping that there was enough propane in the tank, Ashley stabbed the tank with a knife until a small hole appeared. The bear was approaching fast and she didn't have time to stick around. She grabbed the lighter, and as she was about to exit through the back door, she flicked the flint and the flame ignited. She tossed the lighter next to the tank, expecting an explosion. Ashley took off out of the building, hoping she could make it back to the street without being bitten or worse.

   She ran out into the alleyway and rotten hands immediately started grabbing at her. She dodged the cold, dead fingers until she was able to make it back to the street. She waited for an explosion, but nothing happened. At least the bear was still in McDonalds. While Ashley was catching her breath, she didn't notice the undead tiger creeping up behind her. The bear limped out of the McDonalds and watched as the tiger consumed Ashley while she screamed for help. No one came to her rescue.

© 2011 Dom


Author's Note

Dom
You might want to read my other story " I Have Butterflies in my Stomach" just to get what is happening in another place. This story takes place in Monroeville, PA, but the building locations aren't factual.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Horrible hardtime review its like a flow of floow coming towards us hold your feets on soil if you can.... that is the situation

Posted 12 Years Ago


sorry it took me such a long time to review this,
I really liked it, really action-packed. I think it'd be really cool if it was made into a book =]

Posted 13 Years Ago


Left me hanging on here. Enjoyed this dramatic & suspensful write.
Very nicely written. enjoyable read my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 15, 2011
Last Updated on March 15, 2011

Author

Dom
Dom

Pittsburgh, PA



About
I'm Domonique. That's all I got for you right now. more..

Writing
Valentine's Day Valentine's Day

A Poem by Dom