Chapter One: Raven

Chapter One: Raven

A Chapter by Adam M. Snow
"

Think of this story like Skyrim, but with steampunk added to it. There's elves, orcs, ogre, dragons and all other mythical creatures and new ones as well, there's even some magic.

"

Chapter One

Raven

 

"This place smells like death." I said with a smirk under my breath, as I'm staring down at my shackles, which rested upon my wrists.

“The constant moaning of dying prisoners, echoing from their rusted cages into my ears, I can hear them all and it’s excruciating to hear. They should just give in to their demise, there’s no help coming for them.” I sat there shackled, pondering. I’ve lost count of how many days I’ve been down here, surely a year must’ve passed by now. All I’ve had to eat was the rats scrounging about. If it wasn’t for the fact that I’m half Elf, I would’ve died of hunger long ago. You see, Elves can go months without eating, to be precise, we can go for as long as six months without eating and seven months without drinking. That’s why you never see any obese Elves, they’re always so elegant and petite. I’m only half Elf, so I carry some of those traits. My mother was a full-fledged wood Elf. My father, I never knew, and I don’t know exactly what he was, I just know he wasn’t a Human. My mother never talked of him, it was like she was afraid of him, or of what people would think of him if they have known the truth. That made me want to know him that much more. Well, back to reality, I knew one day I would end up here, but still that didn’t stop me from what I’ve done.

“Just look at me now, I am shackled bound, but that's no surprise from what I've done. I regret nothing of it.” I paused to let out a slight laughter.

“There’s nothing more I can do, but to wait my execution, at least I avenged my mother's death.” I said, bowing my head in despair, as tears reflecting what little light there was, fall from my face onto the cold grimy floor below. My blood red scarlet hair, though entangled, flows ever so gracefully downward, covering half of my face. I can hear the prison chains rattling all around.

 

“Would you like to know how my mother died?” I asked, turning my head just slightly to the right, over my shoulder, looking at the rotting corpse shackled to the wall. This rotting corpse has been my only company, since the day I got locked in here. I call him Edward, in a way, he helps keep me sane, even though he doesn’t talk much, he’s a great listener.

“You see, my mother was an Elven slave. They say it was her beauty that brought her demise. The man who owned us was a noble. And as you know, nobles have power, they can get away with anything, even rape and murder. I had just reached my second year, when we were made a slave. It wasn’t until my fourth year of dawn, I saw that man ripped my mother’s tattered garments off and have his way with her. She fought back, as I watched the whole events unfold from the doorway. The more she fought, the more that man strangled her. I watched in terror as her life left her eyes. Even though she laid there lifeless, that man never stopped abusing her body. Out of tremendous fear, I ran away.” There I spoke, my head still bowed and like a river, my tears are still flowing. I lift my head up, bearing a false smile, my voice chokes a little as I continue.

 

“But it’s ok now. That man deserved what he got.” A thought crosses my mind, as I ponder there. Was my action truly just? I can’t believe I’m thinking about that, of course it was, he stole my mother from me, after all. When I ran away, I was very young, and a young beautiful woman was passing through the outskirts of town, she saw a little girl with glowing blue eyes, weeping by a willow. She took pity on the girl and took her in. She took me in. It wasn’t until I was few years older, when I realized she was in fact the granddaughter of the great wizard, Merlin. Just like Merlin, she too knew magic. I begged her to teach me what she knows. That woman, she agreed, and I became her apprentice. Her name was Rebecca. I stayed with her for sixteen years, training, learning all that I could to avenge my mother. Rebecca never knew my intention. Surely, she wouldn’t have taken as her apprentice, had she have known. But Rebecca and I, she didn’t want to take the role of a mother, so we became like sisters.

 

“What would she do if she had saw me like this?” I ponder there as I continue to reminisce of the past. I left when I felt I was ready to seek my revenge. Few months later, I did just that and that is how I ended up here. The guards knew of my magic, as I set that noble man ablaze. It’s because I know magic, that’s why they placed these enchanted iron shackles on me. These shackles cancel out all the magic I have. So now, I sit here and wait for my own demise.

“It’s late, maybe I should shut my eyes. Perhaps maybe the reapers will take me away before the sunrise, before dawn.” With a soft voice, I spoke gently to myself, and so I sat there, back against the hard-cruddy wall, and into a deep sleep I went.

           

BOOM!!! CRASH!!!!

 

            The sound of panic and commotion shook the foundation, which woke me from my sleep.

“What is this?” I ponder as I slowly rose to my feet. I can hear the commotion of people fleeing, fearing for their lives. They’re screaming in fear, the guards shouting orders and commands, all of which gets muffled by the dungeon walls. What is going on out there? Then I heard it, a distinctively loud roar. A roar that I have never heard before. Such terrifying sound it was.

 

“Is that a dragon!?” I said with great panic, while standing there, petrified with fright. I’ve never heard a dragon roar before, though I’ve been told it’s the most frightening sound you’ll ever hear. There’s a small gaping hole, about the size of a keyhole in the wall. I try looking through it to see what’s going on, all I could see were that of blue flames. I turn around to see if someone is coming to free us, but there was no one. While I stood there, the wall behind me shatter into pieces. It came like a loud explosion, the foundation shook, the bricks fell to the ground in great numbers. Edward, the corpse that was hung up, fell to the ground as well. The people within this dungeon are panicking for their lives.

“This was it, we’re dead.” I thought to myself. With great shock I quickly turn around, that’s when I saw it. A blue dragon staring straight at me. I could see into its eyes, so much sadness there, so much sadness in those big glowing blue eyes, and yet its action spoke of anger. This dragon, although is terrifying to look at, seem somehow familiar to me. I was no longer afraid. I slowly start to reach out to touch the dragon, that’s when the unthinkable happen. The dragon breathes blue flames at me, engulfing me and I panic. The flames lit up the whole dungeon, I thought I was going to die. But the flames, it did not burn me, and I felt no pain. There’re scorch marks all around me, yet I survive. What had happened? I then notice, my shackles are gone. They were melted and lying upon the ground. I am free. I look back up, the dragon was no longer there.

“Where did it go?” I thought to myself, while frozen there for a moment.

 

I saw my chance, and so I took it. Quickly and quietly, I made my way out through the hole that the dragon had left. The guards are preoccupied, trying to defeat that creature. They’re running past me, the guards; covered in red, not by blood, but by their armor which they wore. They quickly ignore me for that flying creature. I can hear the clang of their armors, as they fight to defeat this dragon. This was my opportunity to escape. I manage to make my way into the wash, buildings around me are crumbling to pieces as they burn. I hid amongst the crowd of people fleeing the village. They don’t seem to care that I’m a criminal, they just want to survive. I look back and I could see as a soldier had just shot a crossbow, hitting that dragon in its right eye. That dragon had just let out the most blood-curdling screech of a roar, it almost sounded demonic. As I made my way to the woods, I would bear witness as I could see that dragon fleeing over the mountain side. I couldn’t believe what had just happened. Dragons are among the rarest of all creatures and this was my first-time laying eyes upon one. I gaze in wonder as the village, formally called, ‘Norwich’ burn in a blue blaze, as it lights up that darken night. I watched as it became nothing but ashes. Standing there in the woods alone, I thought to myself as I lean against a small oak tree,

 

“I should get out of here quickly, before someone finds me. But where to? There’s only one place I could think of, only one place I could go and I sure as a hellfly don’t think she would take me back, but it’s worth a try.” And so, with confidence I said, as I stood firm, no longer leaning against that oak tree, “I must go see Rebecca.”

“This is going to be a two-day trip. I’m going to need a stead.” I said, brushing the hair from my face.

“The moon is high, traveling now would be treacherous. Perhaps I should make camp instead.” I thought to myself. I walk deeper into the dark infested woods. I can hear the sounds of creatures and animals around me. Their eyes piercing straight through me. As I am walking in these woods, I notice something hidden behind a shrub. It was a small shallow cave, just big enough to make camp in. I did just that and I cast a spell of protection, to protect me through the night. And I lay there resting, waiting for the morning light to come.

As I lay there in a sound sleep, I dreamt a dream I cannot explain. I was standing over a thousand corpses, I was engulfed in blue flames, but unlike the dragon’s flame, this flame seems to be coming from within me, in which it gave me wings. I had a sword in my right hand, that of the purest of gold. I was looking at the destruction, that appear to have been brought on by a war. It was a massacre. But my eyes were no longer brown, they were glowing blue, like that of that dragon I saw back in that dungeon. There was sadness in my eyes as I gaze upon the lifeless body of a young girl, who look just like me. That’s when I open my eyes. And I thought to myself, “What does it all mean?” I’ve never had a dream like that before, why now?

The sun had just peeked over the horizon, it was morning and so I rose up and I greet the day.

“The next village over to the east, is Wolfwood. I shall go there.” I said, pondering to myself out loud. And so, I stood up and I went on my way, eastbound. I forgotten how dense these woods are, I’ve been locked away that long. This is truly turning into an interesting journey. As I am making my way through the woods, I am stopped by a single Orc. His armor is made of that of human leather. He is snarling, foaming from his mouth. This Orc is armed, his blade is drenched in the blood of his previous kill. The blood-lust still lingering in his eyes. His intentions surely are evil, and all I have to defend myself, is what little magic I know. Surely, I can’t use fire, it would just anger him. I quickly ponder a strategy as I quickly look around.

“Nature shall be his demise.” I thought to myself. I took to one knee and I lean over, just slightly enough to grab the earth below me. I spoke a chant and vines start racing from my hands below the earth. The earth shook as vines pierces through the ground below the Orc, taking him with it. His weapon fell. His body crucified upon those vines. He was dead. I walk up to him and I took his sword.

“This blade will surely come in handy.” I spoke to myself as I put that sword away. I left that Orc behind as I made my way out of the woods. There I could see the town of Wolfwood off in the not too far distant. And so, I continue walking. The town of Wolfwood got its name, because the mountain beside it resembles that of a howling wolf, and the fact that the town is right next to the woods, hints the name, “Wolfwood.” Even though this town is small, they do have quite a bit of steam-powered machines. In fact, the factory is the heart of the town. The sounds the machines make, can even sound like that of howling wolves. I can even hear it now.

 

As I approach the gates to Wolfwood, I can see the guards standing there proudly. The garments they wore are similar to that of Norwich’s guards, except they had copper embedded into their armors, with a slightly different shade of red. The crest they bore had that of a howling wolf’s head, layered upon three clockwork gears. That is the Wolfwood’s crest. I had cast an illusion spell to disguise my face, I am still a criminal after all. I must approach with ease. As I approach the gates, the guards stop me where I stood.

“HAULT! You, young miss, who goes there!?” He said proudly with a shout of authority, as he stood his ground. The guards of Wolfwood are considered to be amongst the proudest of all guards in all of Cheshire, they also know how to intimidate.

“I am Rose!” I said, hiding my true identity.

“I am a refugee, I’ve come from the town of Norwich.” I said as I continue to explain my reason.

“I’ve come seeking shelter, and I’m in dire need of new garments and a stead for my travel.” As I finish explaining myself, I can hear one of the guards telling the other guard to open the gates. And so, they did by activating the machine which controls the gates and allowing them to open.

I walk through the gates and by doing so, I can see many other refugees from Norwich here. I know now why the guards had let me in with ease. As I am making my way into town, I spot what looks like someone’s cloak and garments hanging out to dry. The cloak was that of scarlet and the garments were of a two-piece set, the leggings were that of a darkened tan and the blouse was an off-white, with a brown leather corset. The leggings had brown leather straps on it, it matched the corset, which made it that much more unique. The clothing’s all together, looks as if it would barely fit me. I look around to make sure no one was looking and when it was clear, I took that cloak and garments for myself.

I snuck my way into an old shed, luckily nobody was in there. I removed what all little clothing I had on, all of which were tattered, leaving me naked in the dark. What little cracks in the walls, had given off just barely enough light to lit up my bare-naked breast.  I then began to dress myself in those garments I had stolen. The cloak, I too place upon me and I lower the hood just slightly over my head. I look down upon my feet and my feet were bare. Luckily there was a pair of old small brown boots in this shed, they just happen to be small enough to fit me. And so, I put them on and they fit with ease.

I left the shed, the illusion spell upon my face was still active. I went my way onward to the center of town, towards the market. The market was located around the factory. As I was making my way there. An old elderly woman, out of nowhere, had stop me with her walking stick. This woman is no bigger than that of a small child. She was wearing a gown of light tan with blue mixed in. She was standing next to a fortune teller’s tent. The tent was a faded red and was very old and rugged, and looked as if it was falling apart.

“My, oh my. Why if it isn’t little Raven.” She said with that old rustic voice of hers. She took me by surprise. I know not of her, yet how can she see right through my magic, my illusion? And so, I froze there for a moment and a moment it was. I got the straight and courage to respond to her.

“I apologize. I’m afraid you’ve mistaken me for someone else.” I reply.

“I am Rose, not this Raven for whom you speak of.” I said, as I continue to walk away, but that old hag, she grabs me by my hand, stopping me. That old woman looks right at me and she continue to talk to me.

“Oh, you’re Raven alright. You can’t fool this old geezer; these eyes aren’t ordinary eyes after all.” That’s when it dawns on me, I can see glowing blue tint in her eyes.

“What is this and who is she?” I thought to myself.

“Who are you and how do you know me?” I ask her, and her response made her that much more mysterious.

“I was there when you were born, and may I say, you look every bit like your father.” Said she, peeking my interest that much more.

“You know my father?” I said with a brief of excitement in my voice. “Who is she, this woman?” That question still lingering in my head.

To be continued...



© 2018 Adam M. Snow


Author's Note

Adam M. Snow
This is still a rough-draft. I welcome all criticism and feedback to help me improve and make this story better

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"my revenge. Few months later"--> "A Few months later," I would say maybe add in some of the info about the character gradually. The very beginning reads like an info dump. It's nice to get to know the character, but I'd like to see it through how they talk and how they act rather than just narration, that's a personal preference. I like that the character and motivation are out in the open from the beginning and that we get some hints into their personality. "“Is that a dragon!?” I said with great panic, while standing there, petrified with fright. I’ve never heard a dragon roar before, though I’ve been told it’s the most frightening sound you’ll ever hear. There’s a small gaping hole, about the size of a keyhole in the wall. " for this part I would just have the one line of dialogue and describe what's happening so it's not too much narration or too much in the character's head. I like the implication that maybe the main character and the lady have dragon descent or something since that seems to be the implication, and I like that there was a lot of action in this chunk of writing. Overall, it was well done and a good read.

Posted 4 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MTM
This is an awesome start! I, myself, am not very good a grammar or structure, so I won't provide much help there. Though, elves and elven, human, and dwarf, should be capitalized; I only know that cause the pro-editor that went through mine made me capitalize elves and elven in my story. So, just a general suggestion on the story part that might help enhance it a little is, you mentioned Human, Dwarf, and Elf, which kind of prison does is your main character in? Is it a Human, Dwarf, or Elf prison? Perhaps maybe add some description of what the guards are wearing as in coat of arms, or royal color scheme, or something like that. Is the main character, which i assume is a girl, is she the only magical being in the prison? These are pretty much the only questions i have formed from reading what you have posted so far; hope it helps.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


looking good adam,i can see it coming together nicely

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Adam M. Snow

5 Years Ago

Thank you, I feel good about this story. I'm confident I'll finish it.
 wordman

5 Years Ago

i know you will

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

610 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 30, 2018
Last Updated on October 4, 2018
Tags: death, night, nature, family, friend, love, romance, world, earth, beauty, blind, dark, poetry, prose, short, dream, fantasy, steampunk, broken, time, haiku, lyrics, dragon, elf, twilight, ghost, pain, new, epic, fanfict, sonnet


Author

Adam M. Snow
Adam M. Snow

Phoenix , AZ



About
"The writer’s mind, can surpass even the most intellectual minds." –Adam M. Snow I keep my work clean, I write to inspire others. Some people would even call me a philosopher, but w.. more..

Writing