Childhood Cancer: The other side of the story 🎗️

Childhood Cancer: The other side of the story 🎗️

A Story by Sonakshi Arora

With over 240 types of cancers in existence, and an average success rate of 90% cure, there are still some horrific ones that seem to be turned a blind eye to. These mostly consist of pediatric cancers.
According to studies, over 2000 children succumb to this deadly illness each year. Despite of awareness campaigns and private fundraisers, the governments all over the globe fund only 4% to cure pediatric cancers.
So, how much is 4%? It is only 1/10th of a daily 10 hour sleep. What is more horrific is a steep decline in donations for curing pediatric cancers. Out of all this comes the mother of childhood cancers -DIPG. It is also known as Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, a cancer that forms in the brain stem or the pons of children ranging between the age of 5-9 years. The most horrific, dissatisfying and hard to absorb fact is that there is no cure to DIPG. A child diagnosed with it is only given an average 9 months to live. Lack of funding and research has led a whole new generation to suffer. Most tumours are located at the last stage and the patient's health starts to deteriorate within 4 months of diagnosis. Radiation may reduce symptoms till a certain extent but progression of the tumor returns back within a week or two.
It is very inundating to know that we still live in a place where childhood cancers are not given importance unlike adult cancers. Let us all join hands for a noble cause and fund these cancers so that our children can live a better future and cancer-free lives.

© 2017 Sonakshi Arora


Author's Note

Sonakshi Arora
Let me know your thoughts on this :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey! Happy to know that at least some people see the sufferings of children and not ignore them. This was a stirring topic. We should fund these cancers. Thank you for bringing in light the sufferings of children suffering from cancer. Hope we soon find a cure to this uncurable disease. A good job indeed! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much :)
I hope this post gets more views...
Sofia

7 Years Ago

It surely will. This was a really good topic! :)


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Hey! Happy to know that at least some people see the sufferings of children and not ignore them. This was a stirring topic. We should fund these cancers. Thank you for bringing in light the sufferings of children suffering from cancer. Hope we soon find a cure to this uncurable disease. A good job indeed! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much :)
I hope this post gets more views...
Sofia

7 Years Ago

It surely will. This was a really good topic! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Added on January 21, 2017
Last Updated on January 21, 2017

Author

Sonakshi Arora
Sonakshi Arora

Navi Mumbai, India



About
This is going to be a bit long but I swear it is funny please read it don't go.... Hello fellow writers! I once wrote a poem which somehow got selected for my school magazine. Then I wrote a poem w.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora


Brave Brave

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora