A Take on Society and Education System

A Take on Society and Education System

A Story by Sonakshi Arora
"

I urge all students to read this once.

"
 There is so much happening around the globe right now. But there is one specific topic which I would like to address now . The reason being the upcoming exam season. The pressure imposed on us by the society and the "modern" education system. You see, many of the times our knowledge hinders because people aren't willing to share it or else they'll be termed as a "show off" . That is our society. And that is what I hate about our society. It happens with me too. Pretty much at some point all of us come face to face with "society" , self respect and reputation
Our education system promotes the ephemeral consumption of marks . Emphasis is laid more on scores than on the knowledge retained. Information once taken in leaves the brain as soon as the assessment is over . Learning is now limited only to score well and be a class topper. We have failed to determine the difference between being intelligent and scoring well. Reading is only for marks; not for the fun derived from learning new things everyday. An intelligent student pursuing Commerce is seen as a "taboo". And this isn't our fault, for we were always fed with stuff like science for the best and arts for the rest. Linguistic interests no longer seem to have an impact on our careers. You could see budding graphic designers be CAs for that is what their parents wanted them to do. And somehow, our methods of imparting knowledge seem to turn a blind eye to the students. They are trapped between society and system. The answers to the questions only judge the memory of the child rather focusing on the vast knowledge of the child. If you are poor at memorising but have a great deal of information about every field, you are still dumb. This is what our education system is all about. We have reached the phase wherein our reputation is more important than our skills and interests. Where grades are the ultimate epitome of judging the intelligence of a student. A system not shaping minds but the memorising ability of a student. Being one myself, I have found myself dwindling between scores and reputation. My field of knowledge is now next to zero. And it is high time we change this if we really want to achieve modern ways.
So now you'll ask me: "How do we do it? It is this grey matter that we have been fed upon since birth?" It is time to know that intelligent students are intelligent only if they care about their interests more than the society's interests for them. A day wherein people wouldn't be shocked if a 90% student goes for Arts. A day wherein education is something people look forward to. A one where understanding is placed above memorising. And that is when we'll see a tremendous decline in self killing. We have to replace outdated syllabus and books with new ones for the over all development of the child and hence the nation.It is our environment that is crippling students today.

© 2017 Sonakshi Arora


Author's Note

Sonakshi Arora
Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are so many points that I am in agreement on with you. I have a total of 45 years of teaching experience. One of the primary reasons I chose to retire was that the "system" caters to the test! Teachers, good teachers, and there are I believe still quite a few good ones are not free to challenge their students to think outside the box. Teachers are not free to use their imaginations and in so doing stimulate the imaginations of their pupils. It is small wonder that many students are disaffected by what poses for education today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

They surely are :)
Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Hey Dave! You may wanna check out my writing 'An Ode To Teachers'. Thank you for your service!
.. read more
Dave

7 Years Ago

Sure - I'll get back to you. - Dave



Reviews

There are so many points that I am in agreement on with you. I have a total of 45 years of teaching experience. One of the primary reasons I chose to retire was that the "system" caters to the test! Teachers, good teachers, and there are I believe still quite a few good ones are not free to challenge their students to think outside the box. Teachers are not free to use their imaginations and in so doing stimulate the imaginations of their pupils. It is small wonder that many students are disaffected by what poses for education today.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

They surely are :)
Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Hey Dave! You may wanna check out my writing 'An Ode To Teachers'. Thank you for your service!
.. read more
Dave

7 Years Ago

Sure - I'll get back to you. - Dave
I agree with each and every line of your's....
Well am a graphic designer who did science and traveller now.....society always speaks but we are the one to implement our moods and dreams.....
As Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge, I believe in it...
Am waiting for this scene to happen where every individual follows their own dreams,...
Nice write...you hit the point here..
Thank you for sharing..

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much :D It is great to know that you are a graphic designer!
Surya

7 Years Ago

Well I used to be but I love travelling and a traveller now yeah sometimes designer....your Welcome .. read more
Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

Great! As long as you're doing what you love :)
I agree with your opinion. Being an Arts student I can relate to the point you have mentioned. Peoples mentality have become such when a bright student opts for a subject which they like they suggest and ask us why we have not opted for science or maths field and that moment becomes so frustrating. People forget that we have our own choices and interests. I am glad my family is not such and they left me free to choose my own field. Our education system I have nothing to say upon it we students know better than anyone else 😞 I suggest you to publish this as an article in any newspaper because this piece of opinion really needs a spotlight on bigger platform.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Sonakshi Arora

7 Years Ago

I am so happy that you are doing what you want to do and not what people want you to do. Thank you f.. read more
Najam Us Saher

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 27, 2017
Last Updated on February 27, 2017
Tags: Outdated, education, society, judgemental

Author

Sonakshi Arora
Sonakshi Arora

Navi Mumbai, India



About
This is going to be a bit long but I swear it is funny please read it don't go.... Hello fellow writers! I once wrote a poem which somehow got selected for my school magazine. Then I wrote a poem w.. more..

Writing
Love Love

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora


Brave Brave

A Poem by Sonakshi Arora