Speak

Speak

A Story by Stack Lucid
"

a short story of dreams

"
My name is Iam, like Ian, but with an m at the end. I'm 14 years old and I have this reoccurring dream sometimes on my birthday. The first time I remember having it I was in the 2nd grade, and I wrote it down at school. Ever since then I've written the dream down everytime I've had it. Here are my recordings of it throughout my life:

My name is Iam. I'm 8. I was in bed. I heard the sounds of the city then I saw something glowing in my closet. I walked over to the closet. It was in my shoe. I reached in and pulled out the glowing thing. It was a marble. It was green. It said, "I am the light." So I ate it. And now I can see.  

My name is Iam. I'm 10. Last time I had this dream I was 8. But before then maybe I wasn't anything. I was in bed. I could hear the sounds of the city outside then I saw a light coming from my closet. So I jumped down off the bed and walked over to the closet. The light was coming from inside my shoe. I reached into it, way down to the toes and pulled out a marble. That's what was glowing so brightly. It was pretty. It said, "I am the light," and I said, "I've seen you before." Then I ate it. but I didn't know why.

My name is Iam. I'm 12 years old, but I can only remember bits and pieces of the whole thing. Last night I had a dream that seems important but nobody wants to talk to me about it, and I don't really want them to either. I was lying awake in my bed listening to the sounds of the city when I became aware of a strange glow coming from the closet in my room. I instantly remembered two previous experiences like this though they seemed ethereal and unreal like this experience. It was more than deja vu, it was specific, episodic memory. I needed to know what was going on and since the light beckoned I went to it. I grabbed it out of the shoe violently and it turned from its beautiful marble green hue to an alarming crimson red.

"I am the light." it said in a threatening tone.

"What do you have to show me?" I asked, "Sorrow," it responded, "and terror, and all manner of things you do not wish to see." 

"I will not!" I replied.

"You are too late," it responded. Then it exploded in my hand.

"Light on," I commanded the room. The light in the middle of the room came on and everything was covered in blood. I looked behind me and saw the silhouette my body cast on the floor and wall. I started screaming but nobody could hear me. Then the light went out.

My name is Iam. I'm 14 years old, does that mean anything to you? Last night I had what I thought was a dream, but whose to say? Whatever it was I'm sure we can pull out some significant meaning from it together. I was laying in my bed, listening intently to the sounds of the city when I suddenly became aware of a greenish hue emanating from my closet. I ignored it and went back to listening to the city outside. But it got brighter and brighter. Eventually, it filled the room with green light, so much so that I thought the experience of light would burst into the experience of sound. There was no ignoring it. I reluctantly got out of bed and crawled to the closet. "Where's the shoe?" I thought as I slid the door open but as soon as I did I realized the light wasn't coming from my shoe anymore; the entire closet was empty of all its clutter and clothing. Instead, there was an angel. I was dumbfounded and speechless, head level with her floating glowing feet. I sat back and she looked at me without a word. Finally, I asked, "What is it?"

"You are the light," She said. Then she touched my forehead and I felt a bolt of lightning travel through my brain, "until you're not," then she vanished.

And someday I will too. Until then?

© 2017 Stack Lucid


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh wow I loved this. It's very unique and the style is so different. You also have a great writer's voice. Would you ever consider expanding this into a short story?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stack Lucid

6 Years Ago

Expand it into a short story? I suppose I already kind of am... Thanks for your kind words.
That was miraculously painful but I liked it

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017

Author

Stack Lucid
Stack Lucid

About
This is where I can put my thoughts more..

Writing
Notes Notes

A Chapter by Stack Lucid


0 A warning 0 A warning

A Chapter by Stack Lucid