Toast

Toast

A Story by Audrey Wynters
"

A short story about an imaginary friend who is no longer believed in.

"

My name is Toast. An odd name some might argue, especially that of someone who is neither here nor there. And when I say that I am neither here nor there I simply mean that I am not of this world or the one after. The "here" being earth and the "there" being the after earth. I am a "Betweener", as are all those who reside on this plane alongside me. I am what your kind would call an "imaginary friend" although I assure you I am anything but imaginary. Most adults don't remember that we even exist; children know us but since they don't worry or even wonder about how we come to be, it never seemed an important topic to discuss. But now my time here is reaching its end and I only wish to tell you these little truths in the hopes that by sharing my story I can find some means to live on, in some manner or another anyways.


Here on this plane we all start out as Betweeners, the name is self explanatory of course. We are not alive nor are we dead, we simply are. We dwell in the gaps  between the lines of a book, the pauses within a song, and in the eternal depths of the shadows at night.  We are the unfilled spaces in your lives, our voices are the sound of silence. We linger here in this empty world waiting to be noticed. Of course we are not seen in the way that all things in your world are seen. Betweeners are seen by believing they can be, if that makes any sense to you. The minds of children are open to all things both visible and hidden, and when children wish to see what can't be seen they only have to know that it is, and then it will be. This is becoming quite confusing I'm sure, allow me to give you an example.  If a child thinks there is a fairy living in the patch of flowers in their backyard, we Betweeners are drawn out from our plane and into yours. We become the thing children feel they see, the presence they are sure is there. We are the imagination of children everywhere, becoming the things they believe so intently to exist. We are the trolls in the garden, the elves in the woods, and though it pains us, we are the monsters under your bed.


I was drawn out from my plane by a little girl named Charlie. One day she turned to the little chair by the foot of her bed and said "Hello Toast" and there I was. I was so excited to be seen in that moment, and I fell in love with her in the way that children fall in with love each other. It was beautiful, innocent, and tender. Charlie and I had tea parties together, and played in the tulips her mother planted each spring. At night we snuggled under the same heavy blanket. She read me stories about lords and ladies and kingdoms in faraway lands. We made forts out of old boxes, and when she was good her Mother would let her eat her lunch with me in our cardboard home.

Charlie introduced me to everyone. Adults were quick to nod and glance awkwardly in my general direction, but children laughed and greeted me with wonderful gap toothed smiles.  Adults are funny about things they can't see, but children accept all things with ease. Together we would a play games like Hide and Seek and Red Rover.  We danced, sang songs, made jokes, and chased each other all around the lawn. When supper came we went inside and washed our hands. Charlie would sit in her seat and I would sit beside her in the chair her mother had placed on my behalf. I watched Charlie eat her meals with great interest; the way she seemed to eat chicken fingers and hot dogs in a single breath, and scowled and moaned at the sight of broccoli and asparagus. I can't eat. This is not to say that I don't want to, I would love to if I had the chance. I simply can't eat as my body is not entirely a part of Charlie's world and as such I can't interact with it in the same way she can. I did so wish to try the food for which I received my name sake, but it simply will never be. And if you were curious about that, I will simply say that Charlie loves toast and thought it a fitting name for an imaginary friend who she would love just as much.


Charlie and I spent many wonderful days together. We laughed and played and explored and though I regret nothing of that time, I look back on those days with a hint of chagrin knowing they can never be again. Charlie is growing up and I am slowly becoming a part of her past rather than her present. She still talks to me from time to time, but only ever for a fleeting moment, and even then it seems hollow. She talks to me now in the way adults will sometimes talk to themselves; she isn't so much speaking to me anymore, as she is to herself. When her mother tells her to eat her asparagus (she still detests it) she half turns in my direction and says "she knows I hate the stuff but she always makes it." Charlie says these things with a little smile that I notice is becoming more knowing and less believing. That is the eventuality of all children that we Betweeners must come to accept. Some retain a bit of their childhood wonder, but even this is usually nothing but a fizzle. They begin to see us as we truly are, as something that does not fit in this world, and then they simply don't see us at all. When Betweeners lose the link  with our children, we slip from their world and every world altogether. To be a Betweener who is no longer believed in is to no longer exist. We know this and yet each of us who has had a chance to be loved by a child would say that ours has not been a life wasted.


We come to be as a way for them to make sense of the creaks in the night, the whispers in the leaves, and the need for a friend. Children breathe life in to our existence by simply saying we are there, and we do not judge them or abandon them. We stay until they no longer need us and then we disappear. Our lives are fleeting, gone as quickly as they came and yet never have I wished for anything more. This is the journey of an imaginary friend, and of any Betweener who has been called to this world. Betweeners are the magic in their lives, for what seems only a brief moment, and then we fade away like a flame whose wick has reached its end.


I am fading away. Charlie doesn't see me anymore. I watch her as she does her homework and reads her books. I listen while she sings in the shower and talks to her friends on the phone. I wait for her to turn to me and smile, but she doesn't. I don't have a place in her world anymore, but that's okay. I see her smile and laugh and play and I know she will be a good person in this world. She will be happy and someday she will fall in love and have children. Maybe she will tell her children about me, maybe not. I don't  have much time left, but I will spend it remembering those days we spent in the tulips and the thunderstorms when we held each other under that heavy blanket. I will look back on those years and I will always see Charlie smiling at me. I will see her hand outstretched awaiting mine. In my memories we will always be together.


My name was Toast, I was imaginary. My friendship with Charlie was real.


A.Wynters

© 2015 Audrey Wynters


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great write! I enjoyed this story a lot, and I loved the premise and the way it was told. The fact that people grow up and lose that sense of wonder is a sad reality, and Toast provides the perfect abstract view of what is left behind, in a sad but fulfilling way. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, I appreciate the review!



Reviews

Great write! I enjoyed this story a lot, and I loved the premise and the way it was told. The fact that people grow up and lose that sense of wonder is a sad reality, and Toast provides the perfect abstract view of what is left behind, in a sad but fulfilling way. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, I appreciate the review!
Im back -
I loved the birth of Toast. Theres kind of a computer programming analogy - we can creat 'instances' by giving an 'object' attributes - the object doesnt exist until its attributes are given values (like Toast being given recognition here which makes Toast exist) - hmm - I like this

"I will simply say that Charlie loves toast and thought it a fitting name for an imaginary friend who she would love just as much." - lol - this is magical

didnt like the use of chagrin - soz !!

"We stay until they no longer need us " - wasnt sure about this Audrey - seems a bit Mary Poppins-y/Aslan-y/et al
I'll tell you why -
I was beginning to question if I had had any imaginary friends and if I was responsible for their demise - now that isnt as bad (i.e. guilty) as it sounds - it made me try to remember times I had forgotten in childhood so thats cool...

" Our existence stems from the belief of children, our lives belong to them, and it is by their hands that we eventually fade away." -- by this stage I was bored with the explanation of how they came to be - as if you had over-egged the pudding - I got it already ;p

The last paragraph and the final line are pure tear-jerkers - I already miss Toast !!

Very well told Audrey








Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

I took your comments to heart and revised the "over-egged" part, as you so eloquently put it.
.. read more
ANTO

9 Years Ago

It was my pleasure Audrey - dont mind me Im a bit of a twat at times but I meant well
It realy.. read more
Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

No offense taken! I can withstand a bit of criticism and I did appreciate the feedback greatly! It w.. read more
Audrey - Im sorry you chose the name Betweeners - here we have a show called The Inbetweeners and its very popular so I got those clowns stuck in my head from the moment you revealed that name. I'll try again later but I just wanted you to know that I love the title and the premise and I need to clear my head of those naughty boys before I read this again. be back later. :))

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

I seem to be skimming the surface of several other works. I've decided not to change anything as it'.. read more
I enjoyed reading your short story but couldn't help relating it back to Charlie & Lola, for she too has an imaginary friend. The ending was beautiful thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Audrey Wynters

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review, I've never heard of Charlie and Lola but I will do some research to make s.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2015
Tags: imaginary, friend, story, short story, sad, happy, toast, writing, writer

Author

Audrey Wynters
Audrey Wynters

Ottawa, Canada



About
I love to read and write and have been actively doing both since I was a little girl. I dream of the day I might see my writing in print so I can turn to someone and say "I wrote that". I love the.. more..

Writing