Practice Writing A-10: Ice Dragon

Practice Writing A-10: Ice Dragon

A Story by Tabitha Alphess
"

Writing Practice(s): File A-10 Date Published: 9:05, 6 May 2013 (Minnesota Time) Category: Drama/Action/Tragedy Title: Ice Dragon

"

Writing Practice(s): File A-10

Category: Mystery/Fantasy/Tragedy

Title: Ice Dragon

 

      The piercing wind whipped with the force of a jagged lash and howled like a rabid wolf with a deformed throat. Even the tiniest snowflake felt like a small dagger stabbing into his flesh.

      Almost there...Just a short distance away from the sighting...Shouldn’t be long now...

      Dr. Fauntia was a treasure hunter of sorts, and a mythological creature enthusiast. He had heard of a sighting up in the top reaches of the Himalayans of what sounded not like a Yeti (as he was used to hearing), but rather of an “ice dragon”. He just had to see what it was and if it was real or not. An ice dragon sounded like the perfect way to get sponsors to support and help finance his expeditions into the wilderness to find these supposedly mythological creatures.

      Another powerful gust of wind whipped at his face and pushed him back farther. He dug his feet into the rock and braced himself. This blizzard had been going on for the last hour, or maybe it had only been a few minutes? He wasn’t sure at this point. It felt like it had been going on for an eternity. But he had to find the cave. No matter what it took.

      A shattering roar exploded in the gusty air that shook the mountains. The bellow was so thunderous it knocked Dr. Fauntia to the ground and on his back. He struggled to stand up and sat completely still when his eyes caught a stirring glimpse of the tremendous shadow looming in the sky.

      A monstrous shadow hovered above his head like a great storm cloud about to burst with an eruption of lightning and thunder. Its tremendous wings were spread out like heavy curtain across the snow-whipped dark grey sky with its long tail hanging below it like a whip ready to snap. Its mighty head stared down at the mountains as if it ruled over them. It looked like it did with its massive head and gleaming blue eyes that seemed to do nothing but strike fear into your soul and shake your very core.

      He only caught this small and awe-inspiring glimpse of it before it flew off into the mountains and vanished in the roaring blizzard as quickly as it had appeared.

      Was that...?

      The earsplitting roar sounded once again in the distance, making Dr. Fauntia flinched and smile widely.

      The ice dragon! It’s real! It’s real!

      He quickly stole a glance in the direction of where it had come from and set his sights on his next destination, propelling himself forward with his thoughts and forced his way through the headstrong blizzard that seem determined to knock him off the mountain side.

*****

      His breathing came out in long and exhausted breaths as he nearly collapsed to his knees at the edge of the mouth of the cave. It must have been hours by now, and the blizzard was still going as strong as ever. He forced himself forward in a final effort and fell to the floor on his knees in exhaustion. He sat there for several moments of refreshing relaxation before he looked up. His breath was immediately stolen from his lungs in awing spectrum of the sight before him. The cave glittered with shining icicles and small gemstones of varying colors that seemed to glow in the dim light.

      A small tear almost formed in the corner of his eye at the wondrous and striking scenery that was laid out before him. But his pure emotions were quickly dried up and his greed overcame him as he dove for the nearest gem and fingered it greedily and lustfully in his gloved hands. It glimmered softly in the low light and seemed to whisper soothing thoughts into the man’s head as he examined the bright red stone. He petted it gently like it was a long lost friend that needed to be comforted.

      He immediately stuffed it in his pocket and dove for the next gem �" a blue crystal �" and stuffed it in his pocket with the red stone. His greed had overcome his senses and overcame, almost possessing Dr. Fauntia as he stuffed the numerous and abundant valuable gemstones into his pockets and backpack.

      “RaaaaAAAAARRRRRRrrrrrr!”

      Dr. Fauntia froze and gasped at the noise sudden frightful noise.

      “RrrrraaaaaaAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRrrrrrr!”

      He quickly scrambled for his handgun and with a shaking hand loaded it. On trembling legs he stood up and nervously and cautiously stepped towards the noise, careful to stay close to the icy wall.

      “RrrrrrraaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!”

      He gasped softly and flinched at the same time before he forced himself to go silent and remain still. Gathering up his courage he peered over the side of the ice wall and immediately gasped and hid behind the wall.

      The odd and warbled roar ceased and an even stranger clicking sound replaced the roar for several long and agonizing minutes before the clicking ended and the warbled and high-pitched roaring commenced.

      Dr. Fauntia peered over the edge once again and found himself awestruck by the sight. Sitting in a pile of gold and gemstones was a small white dragon with deep and mesmerizing blue eyes.

      It didn’t seem to notice him at first as it chewed feverishly away at a gold coin that had gotten caught between the scales on its tail. Dr. Fauntia was just about to put his gun away and step out from behind the wall of ice when he saw the blue diamond imbedded in its chest.

      He stood there, as if in a trance, mesmerized by the glistening stone. Without thinking he slid down the ice and to the nest of treasure, staring intently at the baby dragon and his diamond. The baby dragon stopped his insistent gnawing and stared at the unknown and strange two-legged creature standing before him.

      A dark and dangerous thought penetrated his brain and soiled his imagination. His greed once again possessed him and he lifted his hand. The gun aimed at the small dragon’s forehead. The young reptile looked up and tilted his head to the left in confusion, unsure what the object pointed at him was.

The man’s finger twitched excitedly at the thought of holding the expensive and rare gem in the palm of his hand, and all the riches he could claim after he sold the precious stone.

He pulled the trigger and a single shot rang out in the ice cave. Silence.

*****

“Dr. Fauntia, this gem you found is truly extraordinary! And this, this, what is this again?”

“An ice dragon skin,”

“Ah yes, from the Himalayans you said. However, I still find it hard to believe such a creature actually existed,” he commented and examined the shining white scaly hide in the display case.

“Yes, yes it is. Quite magnificent. The diamond was actually part of the dragon’s skin,”

“Really?”

“Yes, it was quite an extraordinary. I was even able to bring back some of the treasure it was using as a nest,”

“Fascinating!”

His cell phone in his pocket vibrated. “Oh sorry,”

“No, it’s no problem,”

Dr. Fauntia stepped out onto the porch and answered his phone.

“Hello?”

      “You killed my son,”

      “What? Excuse me?”

      “You killed him. MURDER...”

      “What? No, you must be confused. I haven’t murdered anyone,”

      “First you killed my son, and then you didn’t even have the decency to let me keep his heart,”

      “Heart? What are you...?”

      Wait, was she referring to the baby dragon? And his heart was that the diamond...?

      The ice dragon suddenly appeared before him in full glory. Her silver scales glistened in the moonlight and her eyes burned like a dark blue inferno. Her eyes were so mesmerizing and beautifully horrifyingly. They captivated you in such a strange way that...

      “Now take the gun,”

      The man lifted the gun from his belt.

      “Lift it to your head,”

      He lifted the handgun and pressed it into the side of his head.

      “And fire,”

      A single gunshot rang out and a dark shape plummeted from the balcony and to the bottom of the mountain until it faded into the mist.

      The ice dragon smiled and set her sights on the house, ready to reclaim her son’s heart.

© 2013 Tabitha Alphess


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on May 31, 2013
Last Updated on May 31, 2013

Author

Tabitha Alphess
Tabitha Alphess

MN



About
My pen name is Tabitha Alphess and I'm a follower of Christ. My writings and novels range anywhere from Apologetics and theology to science fiction to mystery and suspense and fantasy. My most common .. more..

Writing