Lost City

Lost City

A Story by Tamara
"

I'm a part of a group of explorers searching for a lost city we learned about in school, only to find out that what we were looking for wasn't as expected.

"
      The city of Dimitur. The Earth left completely barren. The once lush greenery which adorned the horizon, sparkling streams of cool, refreshing water were all gone, washed away by a massive flood which plagued this gorgeous city centuries ago. Stories of the land becoming so severely dehydrated, the ground, separated by fractured lines, would peel off just as easily as chipped paint on walls. The air suffocatingly sickening. This was what we were told for years, but sadly, this wasn't the truth.
       Acres of vibrant, bladed grass dotted the landscape, basked in the warm, comforting embrace of the morning sun, swaying rhythmically in a slow dance with the breeze. The breeze, so cool, crisp and soft as it caressed our faces. The faint aroma of lavender evident in the air.    
       There were hills, mountains, valleys which ran deep and streams of crystalline blue water which ran even deeper and went on for miles. Fine oak trees huddled together in a semi-circle around us, standing tall above us. Their dark, slender branches pointed in all directions, contrasting with the dazzling, bright harlequin leaves bathed in the fresh dew of the early morn. Breath-taking exotic flowers, in countless stunning colours paved the lands, welcoming us with a friendly, "Hello." Delicate, blush-pink orchids, fuchsia Oriental Lillies, Calla Lillies and Gardenias of the purest whites. Lavender, crown yellow and bright orange tulips and many more stole our attention. They were all so intricate and amazingly detailed, hand-crafted by the artist Himself.
       Fallen leaves crunched under our feet as our eyes surveyed the magnificent sight before us. Never before, in all our years of exploration have we encountered such a beauty.
       A flock of tiny Wrenns glided in the air above us, leaving behind them, a trail of harmonious notes, their movements filled with fluid grace, then settling in the cool shade of a nearby tree.They were such amazingly delicate creatures of nature, their large, harmonic voices transcending boundaries, despite their miniature size.I couldn't help but scoop the little angel into the palm of my hands, my slender fingers cautiously wrapped around its tiny frame. It didn't even flinch against my touch; in fact, it embraced it. Curiosity sparkled in its eyes as it observed me and I it, fingers brushing over its soft, silky feathers.
      Not too long after, it flew away. I then whipped out my camera to take photos. I couldn't wait for us to show everyone back home.

© 2017 Tamara


Author's Note

Tamara
This is a Descriptive essay which is due on Tuesday 17th Jan,2017. The prompt was: You are part of a group of explorers searching for a "lost' city. What the group discovered is not what is expected. Describe what the group sees and their reactions. The word limit is between 400-450 words. If there is any advice anyone would like to give that could in any way help make this essay any better, please do!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

sounds like the show "The 100". has potential to be a novel

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 15, 2017
Last Updated on January 17, 2017
Tags: beauty, nature, lost city, forgotten city, explorers, adventure

Author

Tamara
Tamara

Roman Catholic, Trinidad and Tobago



Writing
The Photograph The Photograph

A Story by Tamara