Words Of Destruction

Words Of Destruction

A Story by E
"

A story I wrote for school. It's about a detective looking for government files that got stolen. Also look for doctor who references.

"

November 21st, 2053

 

Alfred Jenkins, the newly elected Prime Minister of Canada, was preparing for a meeting of the United Nations in Toronto.  He was told to bring to the meeting one of their most secret documents, one that could change the world for better or worse.  Jenkins walked into the meeting room, completely unaware that the document was not in his briefcase.  The meeting itself was to decide if a document that powerful should even exist, or if it should be destroyed.  Alfred opened his briefcase, and a look of dread passed over his face.  The sole thing that was said during that meeting was from Alfred Jenkins, and that thing was: “get me the police, the document is missing.”

 

Inspector John Smith, a freelance detective considered by many to be the modern day Sherlock Holmes, and personal friend of Alfred’s, was having tea with a distressed Mr. Jenkins.  Jenkins said, “I have no idea what happened, I put the document in a folder inside my briefcase and headed off to the meeting, there is no way it could have been stolen.” He followed with “But I checked my house, the files are nowhere to be found!  This is horrible, I have lost the most dangerous document in the world.”  Smith asked, “Did you ever, even for a second, have the case out of your sight?”  “Yes, I left it beside me as I showed my credentials to the man working at the door, it’s possible someone could have taken it then.” The inspector then asked, “Could he have seen if someone stole the case?”  “No, I don’t think so.”   “My old friend, I am afraid I am at a loss, there is not even something remotely resembling an inkling of a clue to this case, are you sure you haven’t skipped over anything?”  Jenkins jumps out of his chair, “Of course,” he exclaims, “the security cameras!”  Smith gets smiles and says, “Have I not taught you anything Alfred, never ignore the obvious!”  Alfred laughs and says, “Well you better be off then, I don’t want to be the man who lost the UN’s most treasured document.”  The Inspector asks one final question as he puts on his jacket to leave, “What exactly is the document I am looking for?” “It is a few papers bound in black, looks like a small notebook,” he says solemnly, “but if I said what the paper contains I would be arrested on the spot.”

 

Inspector Smith stood in front of a camera with one of the security guards of the building, scanning the footage during the hours before the meeting, looking for someone that looked even remotely suspicious.  As he played the footage of Jenkins entering the room, he saw a tall man wearing a large black coat and hat step out from the shadows.  The guard gasps in awe, “How could he have gotten here, there’s no footage of him anywhere else in the building?” Inspector Smith replies coldly, “the lights had been dimmed to conserve power that night remember, with that dark coat he would have been almost invisible.” The Inspector watches as he swaps the briefcase with one looking exactly the same as Jenkins’.  Inspector Smith screams out in happiness as he notices the briefcase, “yes, it’s an exact replica!” The confused guard asks, “So what, there’s probably a million others just like it.”  “No, he had his custom designed,” Smith replies quickly, “It’s made of carbon-fibre and has a golden combination lock and fingerprint scanner.”   The guard to him, “I know a place that makes custom briefcases, it’s down on Yonge Street, it’s number 42.”  “It’s called Baker’s Briefcases and Scarves.”  Inspector Smith replies with an excited “Thank you,” as he runs out the door.

 

As he got out of the car to go into the store, he noticed a man in a trench coat on the phone.  “Look I need to know if you got the files sent, they are to be seen by nobody, understand.”  There is a pause as he listens to the person on the other end.  “Excellent, I’ll contact you tomorrow morning, oh and make sure they’re in the briefcase.” When he puts his phone in his pocket Inspector Smith confronts him and proudly exclaims, “You sir are under arrest for the theft of the UN’s secure documents.”  The man looks at him blankly, then asks, “On what evidence?”  The Inspector replies cockily with, “Well you were hiding files in a briefcase, didn’t want them to be seen and sending them off who knows where, sounds shady to me.”  The man laughed, and said to him, “If you’re the modern day Sherlock Holmes then whoever gave you that name must not have read the books.”  “My name is William Spark, I am the CEO and founder of Spark Industries.”  “The files were blueprints for my newest computer that I did not want stolen, as they were being sent to the factory to be mass produced, and I stored them in a briefcase so they would not look suspicious.” The Inspector stands motionless, awestruck at Mr. Spark’s response. 

 

He leaves Mr. Spark behind and walks into the store and calls for the manager.  Mr. Spark walks in with him, eying everything he does.  “Bugger off,” Inspector Smith says sharply, “I’m busy working.”  Mr. Spark smiles and says casually, “And you tried to arrest an innocent man who was on the phone, I think you need all the help you can get, oh and you can call me Will.”  “Okay fine, but don’t get in my way.”  The manager, Mr. Tom Baker came out with a list of recent orders.  Inspector Smith then asks Baker if he had been asked to make an exact copy of Mr. Jenkins’ case, to which he replies, “No, I have not.”  The Inspector looks confused, and asks him if he had made a golden lock like that of Jenkins’.  Baker looks through his records, and responds, “The lock is unique, there was only one other version made, a copper replica painted gold, I kept it for reference, however I seem to have lost it.”  Will looks through an order and noticed that a briefcase made of carbon fibre with a fingerprint scanner beside the lock.  The case had been sent in to be fitted for a different type of lock by a man named Harold Saxon.  Will asks him if the lock was of the same shape as Alfred’s.  Baker said that Alfred’s was a modified version of the type-40 lock he designed, and that Saxon’s case had been modified in order to fit the type-40.  Inspector Smith looks at Will sadly, telling him that the type-40 was obsolete; it had been retired over five years ago, so this order made no sense.  Will looked up in awe and said to the Inspector, “John, that’s a good thing, who would have their case fitted for an obsolete lock model?”  “Of course, then he could have stolen the model and put it into the case!”  “Exactly,” Will exclaimed, “and it says here that he lived on #66 Road Road, a bit redundant if you ask me.”  John smiles and says, “Looks like we have a house to search.” 

 

Will and the Inspector get into the police car, and head off to #66 Road Road. Will said to him jokingly, “You going to arrest me now boss?”  John laughs and replies, “I’ve got a job to do, stop bugging me?” Smith picked the lock, and they enter the dark house.  They find papers lying all over the house, tables overturned, and the power out.  Will stares into the mess with dismay, “This might take awhile,” he said solemnly.   Inspector Smith looks up suddenly and exclaims, “The files were put in a black notebook, so all we need to do is find one in here.” 


After about an hour of searching, John slumps down on an upside-down couch and yells in frustration, “Dang it!”  “There’s nothing, this Saxon fellow must have taken it with him wherever he went.”  Will stares at the computer on the desk and claims, “Maybe he destroyed the original paper files and made a digital copy.” Inspector Smith immediately stands up and starts to pace across the floor.  “Maybe,” he said, “But wouldn’t he have put it on a drive or something and taken it with him and deleted the original?” “Yes he would, but I designed the computers to keep a constant backup, in case the files needed to be searched by the police, but I never thought I would have to use it.”  “Interesting,” Inspector Smith mutters as he pulls out a pen and jots something down in his notebook.  The Inspector begins to sift through the recent backups on Saxon’s computer, when he finds something rather unsettling.  He opens a folder marked “Letters” and reads the first one he sees. He calls Will over immediately, who sees no significance in the letter.  “This letter is addressed to my wife,” he says, “It seems that Harold is his cousin apparently.”  Will sceptically asks, “But if so, why didn’t she tell you, surely you would have been delighted to meet the rest of her family, right?”  Inspector Smith smiles and says, “Yes I would,” he pauses then points at a paragraph.  “Dear god, I think he was blackmailing her!”  The paragraph reads:  Dear Jenny, I have stolen the codes from Alfred Jenkins.  With these codes I can bend the will of the world’s governments, and slowly bring myself into power.  I find these governments corrupt and weak, it is my duty to reform them and bring balance to the world.  If you tell anyone about my plan, however, I will have you killed, so do not send anyone after me, or else.” 

 

The Inspector and Will stare blankly into the screen, awestruck by Saxon’s plan.  Will said, “Inspector, I don’t care what order you were given, tell me what we’re after.”  The Inspector replies,  “I can’t, Alfred never told me.”  Will got up and headed out the door and into the police car, “Well he’s going to tell me now, because we’re after Saxon, which means your wife doesn’t have much time left.”  Inspector Smith looks at Will and then at his phone.  His face turns deadly serious as he says, “Will, we need to get to my house now, someone is at the door.”

 

Will parks on the end of the street and looks out, seeing three black cars on the hill, and people carrying guns walking nearby.  Inspector Smith is horrified, “We need to get into the house now, or my wife will die.”  Will’s left eye disappears, and a metal sphere with a red light is revealed as he looks at the cars.  Inspector Smith gasps, “What the heck is that thing?”  Will explains, “It is a cybernetic eye, I designed so I don’t scare people, it has a zoom function as well as the ability to scan for life, record faces, take pictures, and so on.”  “I made it myself,” he continued, “I lost my real eye in a war in ’47.”  Will then pulls out a stun gun from the car as well as some handcuffs and says, “Inspector, they’ve got her in the car, probably going to use her for ransom or to lure us into a trap.” Inspector Smith looks up, his face filling with rage, “Well then lets drive right in.”  They get into the car, and begin to drive straight to the hill.  Inspector Smith loads his gun with a pump on the back and tells Will, “It’s the Righteous Bison Stun Gun model 5, standard issue.  The shot is a laser, so it goes through glass and will knock a person out with a single shot, you have four before you need to reload, and only 8 per shot so be careful.”  Will steps on the gas, and they speed off into the distance.

 

The men in black run to their cars and drive off, leaving one behind to take care of Inspector Smith and Will.  Will uses his eye to zoom in on the driver, and then fires a shot through the windshield, and knocks out the driver.  Inspector Smith calls the police station and asks for backup, and fires a tracker device out from the front of the car so they can track the men.  Will smiles and asks, “Aren’t those things illegal?”  The Inspector look at him and states, “Now is no time to joke around, we need to save my wife.”  Someone starts to climb out the window of the black car, and begins to fire on Will and the Inspector, popping a tire.  As the car begins to spin out of control, Smith fires into the enemy’s vicinity, however he hits no one.  Will climbs out of the car, and makes his way across the side, and attaches a cuff to the door handle.  As they pass a fence, he manages to cuff the car to the sturdy steel.  The car stops and flips onto its side, and a dazed Inspector walks out.  “We’ve lost them,” he yells, “Jenny is going to die because of it.”  All of a sudden, they see one of the cars speeding straight towards them, with a blonde woman at the wheel, and another car following behind. She opens the door and screams for them to get in.  Inspector Smith smiles, “You’re alive!” he gasps as he gets into the front passenger seat, while Will hurriedly climbs in the back.  The enemy car begins to close in on them, and Will realizes he has lost his gun in the crash.  The Inspector asks, “I’ve only got one shot left, you sure you can hit them?”  Will grabs the Bison and aims right for the driver and fires.  The driver swerves and the laser hits the car’s shiny exterior and knocks Will out.  Inspector Smith looks at his wife and tells her he has an idea, “I have a plan, turn left and come up beside the car.”  The car drifts down a side road, and comes out just as the black car passes by, and rams it into a nearby building, severely damaging the car.  Jenny stops the car, and as the Inspector carries the limp Will out of the car, Jenny cuffs the car’s driver. 

 

A group of police cars and an ambulance soon arrive on the scene and Inspector Smith tells them what happened.  They are amazed what the three of them had accomplished.  “You three held off a team of hit men who were trained to kill their whole lives and were here to kill you,” the bewildered police chief asks.  “Yes,” follows the Inspector, “It was not fun, we crashed my brand new Audi.”  “Sorry about that mate, it must have cost you a fortune, I’ll pay for all the damage,” said a revitalized Will, who had finally woken up.

 

The team take the driver in for questioning, who claims he knew nothing about Saxon; had never seen him, his home, his car or anything.  The Inspector turns to his wife for answers.  He asks her to tell him what she knew about Saxon, which she replies: “To be honest, I don’t know that much, however I did see government papers confirming our relation.”  “Interesting,” Smith replies, “When did you meet him?”  Jenny explains, “It was the 25th of September this year, when you were away I got a letter containing the papers and a message simply introducing himself to me.”  Will’s voice came from the kitchen where he was making tea, “Did you ever talk to your parents about this?”  “I would if I could, but they died last year, the bridge collapsed and their car fell into the sea.”  “I’m sorry for you, did they leave anything to him in their Will?” “No, they left a few things to me and John, and others were donated.” The Inspector states, “No matter who we ask, nobody knows anything about Saxon.”  Will comes in with some tea and says, “That’s because he doesn’t exist.”  The Smiths look confused, and Jenny laughs, “Don’t be ridiculous, I saw the papers confirming he was real.”  Will replies, “Anyone could have forged those papers Jenny, and I’ve looked across the Internet and I can’t find anything about Harold, not even in the government records.”  Inspector Smith then asks, “Wait a minute, how did you get access to those?” “I was using your computer, so it would be better to ask yourself that John.”  Inspector Smith pulls out his notebook and writes something down.  “Wait a minute,” Will said, “Your pen doesn’t have any ink insert.”  The Inspector gets off the chair and said, “So, it ran out so I threw it out and forgot that I needed to change it.”  “I’ve been with you since the start of the investigation, and you never changed the ink, unless it was while we were being chased by the assassins, can I see your notebook for a second?”  “Absolutely not, they are my personal notes.”  “Inspector, you are an independent detective, you don’t have government Internet access, so why do you have the codes for them in the book?”  Smith backs away from Will and nears the fireplace, “What are you talking about?”  “While I was unconscious, my eye recorded everything, and one of the things it recorded was your notebook, with a title reading Canada, and some numbers which I used to get into the government.”

 

John throws the notes into the fire and shouts, “Alright, so I stole it, but no one should have that power!”  “You were planning on using it for yourself, do I guess you don’t fall into that equation John.”  John pleads to Will, “I was going to destroy them!”  Will snaps, “You tried to kill your wife!”  “Things became too drastic, the investigation was getting too deep, they were figuring you out and if you hadn’t showed up I would have left the city by now.”  John opens the door to run, but finds himself confronted by a robot holding a larger version of the Righteous Bison in front of him.  Will smiles and explains, “John I have my own secret service, I travel the world and save lives and the like, I need a bit of help every now and then.”  The robot cuffs John and brings him into a 2014 style black Ferrari, which Will drives to the station.  John is dropped off and Will heads over to visit Alfred Jenkins.

 

“What do you mean the codes were destroyed?” an enraged Jenkins screams.  “They were thrown into Smith’s fireplace before I could recover them, but he was right, nobody should have the power to control the world’s governments like that,” Will solemnly claims.  “But the UN is responsible and fair!” Alfred counters.  Will smiles knowingly and replies, “Haven’t you read Animal Farm?  Human nature has to kick in sometime.”  Alfred asks, “But what do I tell the council?”  “Tell them that the codes were a weapon, and they were destroyed so they could never harm anyone again.” 

 

Will walks out of Jenkins’ office and into the parking lot, stares at the sky, and watches a ship land beside him.  The doors open into a futuristic control room, and he steps inside and flies off looking for trouble.

© 2013 E


Author's Note

E
Same rules as usual, nothing else.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on August 8, 2013
Last Updated on August 8, 2013
Tags: Mystery, future, story, detective, bagel

Author

E
E

Canada



Writing
Office Window Office Window

A Story by E


Easier To Run Easier To Run

A Story by E


What I Long To See What I Long To See

A Poem by E