WEEDS

WEEDS

A Poem by NeiL ArandA
"

They are flowers too once you get to know them

"


I was once a plant, my kind once

flourished in the fertile valley of Cush.

‘Till my ancestors offended the gods

From the Garden of Eden we were banished.

 

In Canaan my descendants settled,

and we were giants !

Then the Fig Tree came,

divinely favored, they claimed the place.

From the Promise Land we were evicted.

 

In remote outskirts of Serengeti

Among lions den, I have been sown

From the stalks of my hands the wildebeest fed

Here I found my place, I called it home.

 

But tranquil life was short lived as morning dew.

I've been uprooted, my family too.

We sailed the ship of Amistad

To a foreign land our seeds were scattered

Some rebelled, some escaped rather than be shackled.

 

For eons my kind wandered like gypsies

Vagabonds we lived and slept in tepees

We scavenged, thrived in hedges and mountains

Sometimes displaced in your favorite garden.

 

I have been labeled, branded as nuisance

Your hatred and prejudice fuels resilience

But one day, my kind will be the answer --

Global famine, starvation, cure for cancer.

 

I am not who I was, a weed I'm not
Just a misplaced plant ...



by NeiL ArandA 12/17/2013




 


© 2015 NeiL ArandA


Author's Note

NeiL ArandA


" We see things not as they are but as we are " - H.M. Tomlinson

" Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education; they grow there firm as weeds among stones " - Charlotte Bronte

" I have a dream that one day I will not be judged by the color of my skin but by the content of my character " - Martin Luther King Jr

" Fig Tree " - The apple of God's eye
" Canaan " - The Promise Land
" Cush " - Part of Garden of Eden where 4 rivers ran through, near the river of Gihon
" Amistad " - Slave ship

My first ambitious attempt to write in free verse or free style. This piece is open for any interpretation and critique.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow, this is a brilliantly deep and fantastic poem Neil! You speak of so many topics that I can really dive into, I feel that being a weed, is the best compliment anyone could give. As you have stated above, being a weed means that one has been able to grow in an environment perhaps foreign, where they have had to fight for survival. Weeds are quite lovely in my opinion, they produce some of the most beautiful blooms. I adored this poem, Neil... well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

K you're giving me so much undeserved compliments. If it impressed you I take it as a compliment. I'.. read more
Ghost of Jupiter

10 Years Ago

It is a heartbreaking situation when people are too closed minded and do not see people for who they.. read more
NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Ha Ha absolutely clever K ...I'm glad the butterflies are not choosy to which flower they would like.. read more



Reviews

All weeds need love, all plants, are creatures of our universe.
I think you did outdone yourself with this withy clever piece of writing my friend....

Those who never assume, are the strongest... you know it. :)
Beautiful quotes, well moral lesson, great phrasing, I can't read this one over and over again...
You've something Dutch in your blood? or what? (talking about morals) lol ;) love to you dear one...

- Elis xx

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

Thanks Ms Elisa for the read...
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
This piece takes me back to the old days, the old civilizations, perhaps I could say the prehistoric ages. Maybe because at that time, perhaps human never bother on cultivating, and where garbage was never a problem, because I think at that time all we used and eat are somehow organic.

Besides that, humans now took care so much on segregating the unwanted. Weeds are considered as undesirable and almost in line to the consideration to be pest. Now look at us, we take much effort on taking out the unwanted, we took charge and used some nasty chemicals. And in realization to all, these so-called unwanted plants thrives in change because like us, they too learned to adapt.

Now going back to the point of this piece. I cannot forget the proverb in our dialect: “masamang damo matagal mamatay.” In english Bad Weeds don't easily die ~ and now that I have think about it, it doesn’t necessarily applies to a bad person, you can just rephrase the proverb into. Weeds don’t easily die. In all cases, anyone or anybody can be a weed, and I meant the characteristics of a weed. All weeds are not necessary bad, I think they just go with the flow of nature. Growing to where their plant spirit goes.

I am not who I was, a weed I'm not
Just a misplaced plant...

~ this ending quite nice, and a very strong end I say. Many times in my mind, that I feel I don’t belong, a misplaced person in the crowd of different people. But to think about it. Nothing much is misplaced in this world. We are here for a reason, a choice we partake – and a cause and effect of the consequences and actions we do. Due to all the differences of our characters, we somehow think many of us are misplaced, then many of us judge, many of us complicate things on which respect is gone. I believed a home is where our heart is. And our heart is a very complex mixture of many emotional journey.

I give you a short story based on what I perceived on this piece:

Somehow in a beautiful garden, a plant steps its roots in there for a reasons, even though most of the plants there think that this plant is a unwanted weed. But in many months or years this plant never stuck its roots to other plants business. Maybe because this plant values its own roots and own life and not disturb the natural ways of other plants. It grows and grows, and somehow over time it gives natural elements that provides fertilization to other plants. In the realization of the other plants, they can co-live together in harmonious ways without disrupting the natural cycle of their lives. And there life goes on as it should be, they flourish in helping one another with careful respect of each individuality.

I really like this piece my friend. You should keep writing.


Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

wow, thanks to both, hugs, I am just very overwhelm of this piece great perspective. :)

10 Years Ago

Hugs lovely Bro, I was too.... you spoke all out what I couldn't ... ♥
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
others think of us as weeds, maybe...because we are different or are more I numbers...the elite shun us like arrogant roses sticking their noses up in the air.

but we know what we are worth...and will continue to flourish whether they accept us or not.

nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Thanks Jacob...indeed we all feel and empathize with them ... Its open to the plight of anything and.. read more
Indeed a pertinent observation, even the much maligned stinging nettle has medicinal and therapeutic qualities! So grasp that nettle and purge those prejudices, all are equal in the eyes of the creator !

An inspiring, wholesome poem, penned with imaginative compassion !



Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Hi Tom ... I appreciate your clever notes. You have perceived its hidden potential. What if the thin.. read more
Tom

10 Years Ago

Everything has a purpose & you're most welcome indeed!
Misplaced plants need love too, this could take on so many meanings, I love how you tackled an age old problem here, very unique.

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Ms Frieda you perceived the heartfelt cry of the weeds . Thanks for your kind thoughts and input .
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

My pleasure Neil, have a great New Year.
Very impressive verse, Neil. Your poetry seems to be getting better by leaps and bounds Great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Wow thanks Ms Joyce ... doesn't come close yet to your Dragonfly . LOL . That's my favorite piece of.. read more
Joyce S. Greene

10 Years Ago

I think this one goes well beyond "Dragonfly, " Neil. That one was written just for fun - no way ne.. read more
Just saying, in the story of the garden of Eden there is only one God so "the gods" doesn't really make sense.

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Christyn ... very keen observation . It will drastically affect and alter the dynamic of the poem. M.. read more
NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

The plight of the weeds are similar to your story I Have A Dream by. MLKJr
Christyn Jeffries

10 Years Ago

Oh, I see now. Thank you.
This is a great metaphor and a powerful poem, Neil. Beauty thrives, even if it is called "difference"...

Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Thanks Ms Rita just a product of a wild and weird imagination . lol Glad ulike it
"I was once a plant, my kind once

flourished in the fertile valley of Cush.

‘Till my ancestors offended the gods

From the Garden of Eden we were banished."


Posted 10 Years Ago


NeiL ArandA

10 Years Ago

Thanks brother Sami for the grammar correction
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:).....................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2476 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 19, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2015
Tags: Weeds, Misplaced Plant, Hatred, Prejudice, Weed Poem

Author

NeiL ArandA
NeiL ArandA

Pearl of the Orient Seas



About
JESUS AND THE SPARROWS Consider The Sparrow Here Jesus was walking alone along the Mediterranean Sea near Tiberius in the northern part of Israel and He offers seeds to some sparrows searchi.. more..

Writing
ABSCOND ABSCOND

A Poem by NeiL ArandA



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..