The Lantern

The Lantern

A Story by The Message

    Cynthia walks out of the bathroom.

    Jeremy is reading the paper in a chair across the room. He glances up at her and smiles slightly. However, his smile grows wider and wider and eventually it appears nearly psychotic in demeanor. His eyes glimmer with a strange inner glow. The smile extends farther than his face will permit, stretching through the air in an unnaturally winding tangle. His face isn't distinguishable as that of a human anymore, it has been warped by too extreme an alteration. His stomach opens up and worms start to spill onto the floor, hissing all the while.

    Cynthia walks back into the bathroom and leaves through the window.

© 2009 The Message


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A fair use of irony through understatement here, excelent flash fiction. However, I feel this belongs with a collection of similarly ephemeral quips, sort of a compilation of brevity. I hope I was of service, though this may be a rather succinct review, and I appreciate you writing something worth reading.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

creepy :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ICE
Heh nice! Its the spirit of Lovecraft without the dryness of the text. Brilliant!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ok first that was a creepy and excellent flash fiction. But when "Cynthia" left thru the window a stupid thought crossed my mind so i'm still laughing right now LOL. I don't even know if i had to tell you that. Anyway it was a nice read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A fair use of irony through understatement here, excelent flash fiction. However, I feel this belongs with a collection of similarly ephemeral quips, sort of a compilation of brevity. I hope I was of service, though this may be a rather succinct review, and I appreciate you writing something worth reading.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2009

Author

The Message
The Message

Hoover/Mobile, AL



About
I like music (Listening, playing and composing), reading and boardgames. As to writing, I prefer complex metaphor and Lovecraftian influences... and generally being incoherent, haha. more..

Writing
Scene One Scene One

A Chapter by The Message


Scena: Wetlaw Scena: Wetlaw

A Chapter by The Message



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..