Sniper Team Falcon

Sniper Team Falcon

A Story by Crifa

     Fire consumed the objects around us as the enemy finally closed in for the kill.  Black smoke flowed through our lungs as we ran past the smoldering remains of the building we were last in.  It was just me and my partner, Nick, alone in the territory.  All contact with our superiors or any help was out of reach.
     All we could do was run.
     The land was laid out just like any other African suburban village. Closely packed stone buildings run down to the poorest shape that is still usable.  It isn't the villagers fault that they have to live like this.  It's the local militia that treats them like caged animals.  For about a year now Nick and I have been in secret gathering intel on the area.  The U.S. special ops sent us because they knew we could handle the mission.
     We were known as sniper team "Falcon".
     We had been notified some days earlier that the commander of the militia would be arriving today, but who could have known that they had found us out.  Just like any other day Nick and I were eating breakfast when they stormed in.  Seven men armed with the standard AK-47 assault rifle. 
     Luckily Nick being the paranoid soldier he is, he had come up with a plan when we got the news of the commander coming in.  With a flick of the wrist Nick put his fingers to magic.  Suddenly the room was filled with smoke.  I felt the strong grasp of battle-hardened hands dragging me and I knew we were going to escape alive.  We burst through a window coughing severely.  Without my mind's consent, my legs started moving.  After long training in boot camp I was used to running.  Nick and I covered ground quickly.  Before we knew it we were in the jungle outside the town.  We slashed at leaves and cut vines with our combat knives we carried in our boots.  As the sun fell out of the sky we decided to set up camp.  Nick fiddled with the radio as I got sleeping bags and cold rations ready. 
     There would be no fire tonight,
     I woke up to men screaming at me in another language.  I tried to communicate but if I spoke English they hit me with the butt of their guns.  Just as I thought it was over bullets sprayed from deep in the trees.  The three men dropped and Nick came into the clearing.  Nick cut my bonds as he told me how I was lucky that he went out looking for food. 
     We packed up and were off again as we concluded that the men were part of a scouting party.  The others were close. 
     After traveling all day we set up camp again.  This time in a more secluded spot.  I took first watch.  The night was calming under the trees.  The sounds of stirring animals kept me on alert.  I thought of how my life ended up.  I never married and didn't have children or any family left.  The sad thing is maybe I never----
"Nick! Come to eat!"  screamed the man's wife Rachel.
"Yeah, yeah.  I'm comin'," he called back as he closed the pocket-sized journal that was the only lasting thing left of his best friend Chris.  With a tear rolling down his cheek he placed it next to that triangular folded flag, saluted, and walked off to dinner.

© 2012 Crifa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great shift, great story, great descriptions, great characters, great emotions, just great everything. This is absolutely beautiful of how you express it and the point of view change. Almost brings me to tears

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wait. So you died?

Posted 12 Years Ago


Why not sniper team hawk?


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 29, 2012

Author

Crifa
Crifa

MA



Writing
Strings Strings

A Poem by Crifa


Hive Mind Hive Mind

A Poem by Crifa


Nightfall Nightfall

A Poem by Crifa