At First Sight

At First Sight

A Story by Treo LeGigeo
"

An unfortunate combination of company stinginess, front desk mix-ups, and sheer bad luck...

"

Anthony Fielding looked over at the woman who stood on the other side of the cheap hotel suite, the dim light bulb illuminating the look of distinct annoyance on her face. He didn’t try to hide his glare.

 

“Trouble with the sofa-bed?” Anthony sneered as he dropped his suitcase onto the queen-sized mattress. He’d met Vivine Harrison last month after her transfer to his office, and it had been dislike at first sight.

 

“There is no sofa-bed,” came the sharp retort. Anthony grimaced. Her voice always annoyed him for some inexplicable reason, just like everything else about her.

 

“So much the better,” he drawled as he began to unpack. Vivine stormed over, slamming his suitcase shut.

 

“Look, I hate these room arrangements as much as you do, and I'm not sleeping on the couch for this whole damn conference,” she hissed.

 

“Then feel free to use the floor.”

 

“The floor!”

 

“Oh, the girl can listen. You know how to respect your betters, I’ll give you that!”

 

“Goddamn it, Anthony! Why do you hate me so much?”

 

Anthony spun around and stepped forwards, but instead of being intimidated Vivine held her stance and suddenly the two found themselves nose to nose, breathing each other’s air as that crucial word hung between them. Why? Why did their personalities clash so? Was it because they were so different? Or so much the same?

 

“Vivine...”

 

What happened next was lost in blur as insults fell silent on parted lips and anger somehow morphed into passion. When it was over she lay across his body, her head resting on his chest and her eyelashes painting light butterfly kisses over his naked flesh.

 

“That shouldn’t have happened.”

 

But even with those words in the air, neither questioned why they had no will to move before settling down to sleep.

 

“And it never will again.”

 

Waking the next morning with their bodies entwined and the scent of the previous night heavy on the sheets, both decided that “never” could wait.

© 2013 Treo LeGigeo


Author's Note

Treo LeGigeo
Something I threw together for a contest. Requirements were that stories had to be exactly 333 words, and include a lightbulb, an enemy's virtues, and butterflies.

Suggestions for improvement are greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it. It's great so far. The dialogue is perfect, too.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is an amazing Story I really like this...Cute ending

Posted 12 Years Ago


haha, i really liked the ending! for a precise word limit you did really well. and i also like the way you used the required elements, butterflies, a lightbulb and an enemies virtues. it was very clever.
but i disagree that it needs to be longer. i like it the way it is. well done! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I agree with Aurora. For a given amount of words, you really have written a great story and one with considerable weight of feeling. But, I think a longer version with bigger description would fare much better, because suspense goes good with romance, si?

Keep writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I thought that this was a great story! It's hard to write a story with exactly any amount of words, and you did it perfectly AND wrote a great story to boot. Great work.

~Aurora

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1287 Views
15 Reviews
Added on May 24, 2011
Last Updated on April 3, 2013
Tags: Hotel, Love, Hate, First Sight

Author

Treo LeGigeo
Treo LeGigeo

Sydney, NSW, Australia



About
I'm from Australia, so some people may find that I spell things differently. I love writing and have had a couple of publications of short stories and novellas under a pseudonym. I started .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart in Hand Heart in Hand

A Poem by OT


Cavalry Cavalry

A Poem by TJ