The Counsel

The Counsel

A Story by Uesugi
"

A short stort i had the inspiration to write. I might add another linked in later

"

The counsel

The night was dark as Tokugawa Ieyasu made his way through the castle town of Sunpu. The stifling heat of the summer was highly uncomforting to Ieyasu, sweat forming rivulets down his body and making his Kataginu cling to his body. He was surrounded with his guards carrying lanterns, their light pulsating out into the darkness, guiding them to their target. It was not long before the little entourage reached their destination, a large manorial house. The guards at the gate checked the papers of the retinue and admitted Ieyasu and a few of his men guiding them up the moonlit path. Ieyasu admired the peaceful garden scene, particularly the beautiful red bridge spanning the pond, inhabited by golden carps who swam with such serene grace.


Ieyasu was led to a room within the complex and asked to wait. The screens around the doors helped to keep the myriad of mosquitoes away, something he was very grateful for. Summer time in Sunpu, just like the rest of the Japanese coast could be very uncomfortable, the heat and insects at sometimes being unbearable. Ieyasu longed for his home territory of Mikawa. Though he had not spent much of his life there he held in his mind an idea that it was somehow better there, the climate more acceptable.


Not much longer and a servant came to the door and asked him to follow her into the main room; there sat down ready for him was the monk Sessai. Sessai was clothed plainly like Ieyasu, his kataginu opened slightly at the chest in the hopes that an errant gust of wind would help cool him down; though to signify his position, we wore a monks white hood, having previously been an Abbot. His familiar face calmed Ieyasu, as he saw in this old man a friendly monk who supported him in a city of his oppressors.


‘Come Ieyasu, sit with me, I have stocks of Sake that are asking to be shared’


Ieyasu smiled at the old man, knowing that they would be doing more than just drinking this night. He bowed in front of Sessai and then sat down in front of him. An attendant brought in the warm Sake, which was shared between the two men.


‘How are you faring with your studies?’


‘Zen is a difficult art to master in a time of hot-headed courtiers and rash warlords.’


‘And yet it is the supreme art to be mastered by a wise ruler; something which I wish my nephew could grasp’


Ieyasu noted that they had reached the point of the reason of their meeting. He slowly exhaled, enjoying the sharp taste of the Sake.


‘So he is still adamant on moving on Kyoto?’


‘I have counselled him repeatedly to give up his ambitions of Kyoto for the time being. Does he not know he is in no position to claim the mantle of power.’


‘Are we not safe for the first time from the interference of Hojo or Uesugi?


‘’We are never safe from the ambitions of those warlords. But that is not the matter; our lands need to be strengthened first, we are in no economic position to wage war.’


With this Sessai gazed out of the room through the open doors into his garden. He seemed to be meditating and Ieyasu let him think, in no rush, but taking time to enjoy his Sake.


After a few moments Sessai turned back to Ieyasu, the silver moon of the dark sky having abated his anger.

‘He has not turned out as I had hoped he would be. His arrogance and decadence are placing him in a position where he is underestimating the trials that face him; he is not a capable enough ruler to lead this clan forward in such difficult times. Not only that but my counsel is no longer been deliberated upon, I fear that my influence upon him is at an end.’


‘You fear the worst then if he makes his advance?’


‘Yoshimoto’s dreams of controlling the Shogun are empty, he will never realise his ambitions, all I must do is support him in his decisions. The time will come when you yourself are also tested, I hope my counsel over the many years has helped you to discover your route.’


The two aimlessly chatted over the course of the rest of the night, both enjoying each others company, and the food and Sake gradually made them content. Eventually Ieyasu bade his farewells and began his journey back to his mansion on the other side of the city.


While he walked he pondered Sessai’s words and mulled over his own ambitions. Sessai had claimed he would be tested and Ieyasu pondered whether he was foreseeing him throw off his shackles to the Imagawa. He hated to not be free, his youthful mind raced with the ideas on making his home province strong again, and placing his own ambitions firmly upon Japan. Secretly he knew he would have to make his move at some point, and yet the close stifling watch held over him in Sunpu choked any chances he would have.


He knew how young he was, and with little support, but this did not daunt him. He would simply wait and bide his time. Something he had learned while being held up in this city was the value of patience. To keep one’s calm and wait for the right moment.


Ieyasu looked up to the moon and made a secret vow to it, smiling to himself, he knew that if Yoshimoto made his move on Kyoto, he would not have to wait much longer to realise his own ambitions.

© 2016 Uesugi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I notice a few errors, both in tense and grammar. The story itself is interesting, but I recommend that you look over this piece carefully to make it more cohesive. Otherwise I think it's really good.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Uesugi

8 Years Ago

Thank you, grammar really is one of my big faults, will have to improve
Sylver

8 Years Ago

I can give specific examples of grammatical errors I saw when I have time later, if you'd like.
Uesugi

8 Years Ago

no it is ok, I just need to be more careful next time when writing, but thank you for the offer
this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uesugi

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much
Rose Jaeger Kaneki

8 Years Ago

welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2016
Last Updated on March 10, 2016

Author

Uesugi
Uesugi

Aby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



Writing