The Crossroad

The Crossroad

A Story by Autumn

It was a tough work sometimes. Well, it was tough everyday. I think without us throwing some dark jokes from time to time, we wouldn’t be able to continue working here on a good path. Last night for example my colleagues and I were on a car and motorbike accident, and a man was lying conscious on the road.

 

     “Are your legs hurting?” I asked him.

 

No, he said, and so I said:

 

     “That’s good, well now don’t look, but don’t worry I’m sure we’ll find your legs sometime - they shouldn’t have ran far away!”

 

     It’s true that after a while working as a doctor you tend to get a crude humour that most people wouldn’t really get. But you know, I do saves lives everyday, and that’s what’s important in my job. I see lives that are not meant to be saved, and so there’s nothing you can do to save them. It’s hard to face that you can’t change everyone’s destiny in that way.

 

     Outside my career, I’ve got a simple life with my wife. We actually just moved in a bigger house for our first baby. My job was already interfering in my private lifetime, which was of course causing some troubles in our couple. So I had some doubts if having a baby was going to save our marriage or making it even worse.

 

     Yes, I was confronted to crossroads everyday in my career, as well as in my private life. In each case, my selection was for what I thought was the best. Now, of course, some might have not been the best decisions; for example listening to my wife and not use anymore condoms, or devoting myself to tell the family that their relative has jut died.

 

     From time to time, I was able to appreciate being at home during daytime, relaxing in my good old sofa, and reading a book with my eyes closed. But today, as my dreams began, my bipper woke me up. With a sigh, quickly replaced by an excitement of the unknown, I jumped into the car and rushed to attend the emergency. But as I drove quickly towards the hospital, I received a text message from my wife, who was in another clinic.

 

      After a few years working in a hospital, you start to learn that your career comes before your private life, no excuse. But I knew if I didn’t attend to the birth of my child now, it’s a divorce that I would face coming back home tonight. Left side was my job, and on the right road was my wife. Left or right? Right or left? All the consequences blurred my mind while I drove quicker still.

 

      But as my foot hit the accelerator more, I realized for the first time of my life I had a third choice. It took me less than two seconds to see at only ten feet in front of me. A simple tree crossing the road in two.

 

     Abruptly, all of it was concluded.

© 2011 Autumn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting story. enjoyed the ending, it's vague but yet the reader knows what it means. the pacing is very quick, maybe try expanding it and giving us more of a glimpse into the doctor's life, that might make the ending more powerful.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 22, 2011
Last Updated on December 22, 2011

Author

Autumn
Autumn

London, Kingston, United Kingdom



About
more..

Writing
Borderline Evil Borderline Evil

A Story by Autumn


The Swing The Swing

A Story by Autumn