The Pitfalls of Punctuation

The Pitfalls of Punctuation

A Story by Vignette

There, in the tail of that comma, in that ethereal silent pause between whispered words, we are suspended in a universe of our own making. 

I pirouette on your full-stop period and leap onto your curvaceous parenthesis.  I caress its hard sensuous curve and coax it to unleash its mystery like the night jasmine releasing its fragrant unfinished secret that trails off into the ellipsis in the midnight sky…

A grand exclamation you are!  You there!  Yes, you!!  Standing so erect and tall and hard!!  So emphatic in your declarations of love!!  Will you halve me on a forward slant?  Or bend me backward on the bracket of your choosing?

Or perhaps push me onto the curve of the question mark?  Testing the limits of my punctuational limberness?  Or maybe arch me onto the linear dash for your fleeting pleasure?

You split our souls in two with your hypen, but I pray the semicolon will rejoin our halves into blissful wholeness.

Take from me my sacred words and frame them in these quotation marks.  I give them to you freely -- if, and only if, you acknowledge my ownership of those words.

Must you question my liberation?  Can we not split the colon and call it even? 

Please, don’t bring the apostrophe into this!  Your contractual mistress is a thorn in my side.  And you know my obsession with the possessive form!

And the plural possessive �" it’s obscene.  I will not go there �" I cannot go there - not even for you.  Do not ask this of me!

Please, use a #2 pencil and mark your answers clearly on the scantron sheet.  Erase thoroughly any mistakes…
 

 

 

© 2012 Vignette


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

funny I never thought of punctuation as being sexy!

Oh my..I just left a hard one hanging!! And again....shhhhh.

Great write, very creative and well done Vignette!

Posted 11 Years Ago


As the ellipsis pulls me away into the thoughts of punctuational bliss, I lay swirling, like a lover still captured in a moment of bliss. Instructional moments caught by lovers entwined in dangling participles allowing gerunds to merge even beyond the pluperfection of present or future. It matters not if the hyphen slides in between us, knowing that as is joins and separates; it is a bond. I uptake my #2 to carefully mark the bubble sheet, beginning at the center and working to the edge, no smudge, no mistake, erasing nothing, and gaining everything thoroughly ...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Erotic language arts! I loved how you used sensuous descriptors to infuse punctuation with sexuality.

The only part I did not get was the last sentence. It seemed out of context to me.

All in all, I truly enjoyed reading this. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2012
Last Updated on June 9, 2012

Author

Vignette
Vignette

CA



About
I am a fairly new writer who enjoys writing poetry, short stories, and some nonsense. I tend to gravitate to things that are a bit off the wall. I like the unusual and I like intensity. I'm en.. more..

Writing
Gravity Gravity

A Poem by Vignette



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..