Contractor: Chapter - 17

Contractor: Chapter - 17

A Chapter by Outdated Account
"

It's my party and I'll kill if I want to... or has that been said already?

"

Everything had gone black. It took me a while to realize that my eyes were closed, which really only happened at all because I recognized that nothing was happening. I didn’t want to accept that I'd actually gone to this “party,” but that was reality. I eased open one eye and then the other once I was sure I was mostly safe. We were standing on the sidewalk outside of a jewelry store in a city I didn’t recognize. Death gave me a push as he walked towards the door to the jewelry store. I had never been to a party in a jewelry store before, or a jewelry store that looked so upper class… or a party.

“Can I catch one last breath of fresh air before I go in?” I asked, cringing in advance at the reaction I expected from Death.

“I will not fault you for being nervous, take all the time you need.” Death sighed gripping my shoulder. Visibly it wasn’t much, but I imagined it would have been incredibly painful, if I could feel the pain. “Just try to refrain from running off while my back is turned.” He smiled. To my surprise his smile was sparkling white, yet still just as unnerving.

I shrugged off my surprise, I had figured Death’s smile had been a scare tactic. I watched as the three of them walked into the jewelry store like it was just another day in the life. To them it probably was, but I didn’t feel comfortable doing it. Connecting myself to their society seemed so wrong, like something was being finalized. I would be recognized as part of their world, albeit a very insignificant part, but still a part. I leaned against the wall of the store and took in a breath.

“Are you worried about something? New faces generally are.” Muttered a friendly voice. “You really shouldn’t be, this is the safest place in the world right now; no one would dare do anything foolish while so many of their peers watched. Not unless they had a death wish.”

I looked up to see a young man in a very suave looking tuxedo standing in front of me. He must have just arrived to the party contractor style, silently while I wasn't looking. He looked kind, but that only felt like all the more reason to be suspicious of him. Deception seemed to be the primary tactic used by contractors.

“It’s not so much the danger as it is the finality of being recognized as something strange and different among other people… or things like myself.” I said cautiously. It was the truth but it didn’t seem overly important.

“That’s pretty deep, kiddo.” He sighed. “Kids your age shouldn’t be spouting stuff like that… they should be off making mistakes without thinking of the consequences, not making contemplating ontology. Deep thought is for old men and philosophers. Although I would like to imagine that all philosophers are old men, and all old men philosophers in one way or another.”

“I could be a lot older than I look.” I hummed. I always thought of myself that way.

“So could I, but I’m not and neither are you.” He laughed lightly. “It’s getting a bit cold out here, we better head into the party. I’m sure everyone is waiting for the last two people to arrive.” He gestured to the front door of the store and began a lazy stride towards it.

“Do you often make a point in arriving late?” I asked as I walked in with him, keeping a safe distance just in case.

“It gives everyone a chance to talk about me behind my back without worrying about offending me. I like to arrive once it's out of their systems.”

“Interesting.” I hummed quietly as I took in the jewelry store. It wasn’t a party at all. There was no food, no groups of people talking, certainly no dancing, and the only music I heard was quiet bossa nova over the store’s speakers. People were scattered around the store looking at the jewelry in glass cases. I spotted Death and Hope together looking at the contents of one case while Amy was across the store leaning back on another case in the company of several people I didn’t recognize. It felt like everyone looked at me when we walked in for a second before resuming their prior activities.

“Looks like the Greeks even made it out.” The man smiled. I caught the direction of his gaze and spotted a larger group clustered around several cases. “Well, do have fun kid, I’m going to socialize.” He patted me on the shoulder and walked over to a case.

I walked over to Death and Hope, wary of several sets of angry eyes watching my progress. Hope’s eyes were locked onto an elegant silver pendant while Death looked interested, though I could tell he was trying to hide it, in an ornate gold ring. As I took another glance around the room it almost looked like everyone was shopping.

“I honestly cannot tell if you are extremely lucky or fated to suffer, Albert.” Death sighed quietly. “For now however, I will attribute you with luck.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I whispered. “And I would hardly call this a party.”

“Getting this many of us in one room is an accomplishment to be proud of. An actual party would be too much to ask of anyone.” Hope whispered, still looking intently at the pendant. “How does it feel to be the youngest person in the room by the way?”

“Extremely intimidating.” I choked out as I caught another angry glare from a beautiful woman in an elegant black dress.

“Ignore them.” Death whispered smiling. “You have already caught the interest of the biggest fish in this room.”

“The man I came in with?” He looked like one of the younger contractors there. He didn’t seem that popular either as he was making his way across the room very quickly.

The man.” Death laughed lightly. He seemed very happy about it for some reason. Then it hit me.

“As in the Old Man?” My eyes had gotten very wide. “He doesn’t look old at all.”

“What did you expect?” Death asked as he shook his head, still smiling.

“I know you guys don’t age, but a little white hair at least.”

“While the salt and pepper look is quite stylish, it isn't quite my style. Sorry to disappoint you Albert.” It was the same kind voice from earlier, the Old Man. “Nice to see you again Alistair, see anything you like?”

“You have a wonderful collection here, as always. I simply do not know how you come across these gems so easily.”

“Always the funny one.” The Old Man smiled. “I heard you’d collected an odd piece as well, but I didn’t think he’d be so interesting.”

“He’s actually pretty boring.” Hope sighed.

“You aren’t looking hard enough then. For someone his age to be thinking the way he is indicates a great deal of depth. I can only guess what you have him doing.” I wondered for a second if he could actually tell what I was thinking, or if that was even possible.

“Writing.” I said calmly, finally finding my voice. “Novels mostly, but I find other things to type up as well.”

“Really?” The Old Man smiled. Death seemed slightly embarrassed. “I didn’t take you for much of a reader, what with all the work you do.”

“We all have our hobbies.” Death whispered, his voice slightly shaky. “Albert has quite a talent in bringing his characters to life.”

“Interesting, you’ll have to send me a sample. I’ve been known to enjoy a good read every century or so. If you’ll excuse me though, I think some of my guests are getting a tad impatient.” He walked away calmly and moved on to a different display case.

“Did I say something I shouldn’t have?” I asked quietly.

“No, I… I have never spoken with him for that long before.” Death whispered clearing his throat silently. “It is very unusual that he gets close to anybody. To everyone here the length of his visit will look like we have gained his favor, which is very good. You may have saved us a lot of trouble Albert.”

“So I’m lucky after all?”

“It would appear so.”

“It would appear so.” Hope muttered in a mock tone, laughing lightly. “Like you didn’t have some plan to use Al to get his favor already.”

“I did, but I doubt it would have been as effective.”

“You know if you intended to use me, you could have just asked. No need to be secretive about it.” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

“I thought you would figure it out sooner or later.”

“Sure.”

I didn’t bother arguing about it. Even if I had an issue, Death was in charge, so I didn’t have much choice. I let it go and took a look for myself at the contents of the case. Nothing caught my eye, most of it was too ornate or extravagant to interest me. I never had much interest in appearance or accessories anyway.

“I think I’m going to split off and look around by myself for a bit.” I didn’t want to ask like I needed permission. I just wanted Death to know in case I never came back.

Death nodded and I turned to face the room again. It felt as though several heads turned away just as they would have come into view. To my knowledge there is no scientific evidence to prove that you can sense someone watching you outside of your field of vision, I wasn’t exactly in the world of science anymore though. Either way, I did my best to ignore the incident. I made my way over to Amy, carefully plotting a course through the room that would steer me clear of any large groups like the Greeks.

“You mind if I hang around here for a bit?” I asked quietly.

“Be my guest.” She answered. “You’re one lucky duck, you know that?”

“So I’ve gathered, although it was more likely some predesigned scheme.”

“No scheme could fool the Old Man.” Muttered the man that was on Amy’s other side. “He’s too clever, if anything I think you fell into one of his schemes.”

“That sounds more like my luck.” I laughed.

“What’s he like?” Amy asked. “I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting him.”

“Like the old man would stoop to speak with us collectors.” The man huffed.

“He talked to Al, I don’t see the big difference, Julian.”

“Obviously Al here is very different, and I feel honored just to be speaking with him.” He retorted easily. “It’s been a long time since I was in the company of anyone with power, what is he like?”

“Very normal.” I tried to remember what we had talked about. It was so recent but so hard to remember because it seemed so normal. “Almost human. He seems like he really is an old man on the inside, but what can I know? I’ve spoken to him twice and both times were very brief.”

“It’s hard to believe that any of them can act remotely human.” Julian mumbled.

“Yours can… on occasion. I’ve seen her treat you well.” I could have sworn I heard some undertone to her words, but it was very faint and hard to interpret.

“Trish,” He almost spat her name. “Is manipulative and... the things she does for ‘fun’. I hardly think you can understand, yours is still a girl at heart. Never loved or lost. Trish routinely entertains herself with both... it changed her even before we were like this. I think she just does it for fun now.”

“You’d think being married to her would change things.” Amy muttered.

“Till death do us part means nothing when we’ll never die.”

“Or you could look at it differently and say you’re both dead already.” I added. “Either way, you’re right, it means nothing.”

“Julian, I hope you haven’t been speaking badly of me.” The woman in the black dress whispered as she walked up to his side. Every movement dripped of seduction, it almost looked like she was trying too hard and it had nearly the opposite effect of what I imagined she was going for. She didn’t look at me at all now, she seemed intent to focus her attention on her so called husband. “I’m done for the night, we’re leaving.” She grabbed him by the tie and led him out of the store like a dog on a leash.

“Poor guy used to have so much power and influence, now he’s a slave.” Amy sighed.

“For how long?”

“Long before my time, they were both very powerful people. Julian has definitely changed since then, but I don’t think Patrisha really ever did. She’s always been a conniving seductress.”

“With a terrifying glare.” I chuckled as she shot me a parting glance from the door.

“I think that comes with the territory.” Amy rolled her eyes.

I just nodded. I hadn’t noticed how quiet the room had gotten. There had been a steady murmur since I’d walked in, but now that Amy had gone silent there was nothing. I turned to look, prepared to see eyes on me for some new reason. That was not the case. All eyes were on someone, but it was Death this time. A man had walked up to Death and grabbed him by the shoulder. They were talking in quick hissing whispers. After a second I noticed the subtle black smoke veil that I’d felt suck out my strength when we’d first met fall over the two of them.

"That doesn't look good.” I said quickly tapping on Amy’s shoulder. “Someone’s got Death cornered.” Amy turned just in time to witness Hope try to intervene in the argument only to get slapped back by the man. I could feel Amy’s grin, but I felt something completely different that I did not expect or want to feel.

I walked across the room slowly and as casually as I could imagine, catching a few eyes of my own again. I had no idea what I was going to do but I could feel a buildup of anger and I knew that if I did anything I wouldn’t be proud of it afterwards. My hand was balled into a fist and ready to do something stupid when a black suit stepped in front of me.

“Owen, I know you have good reason to feel as you do, but you’re disturbing my guests.” The Old Man put a hand on both of their shoulders. There was a surge of heat, like steam, that gently blew away the black mist and caused both men to become silent. Death turned to address the Old Man but the other man, Owen, changed targets. His hand whipped out to attack the Old Man, but it never made it to its target. By the time his hand would have connected with the Old Man it had already disintegrated into a pile of ash on the floor.

“I apologize for the interruption, my esteemed guests,” the Old Man said loudly as he turned to address the room full of contractors. “But it appears our little party is over. If you would please be so kind as to show yourselves out I would be very grateful.”

 



© 2016 Outdated Account


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on October 30, 2016
Tags: macabre, novel, full length, serial, death, the grim reaper, grim reaper, business, contract, contracts, contract law, deal, deal with the devil, supernatural, paranormal, fiction, adventure, etc.

Contractor (Complete)