Behind the Smile

Behind the Smile

A Poem by Samantha Jankowski
"

An ekphrastic poem based off this picture: http://images.wikia.com/fairytail/es/images/2/21/Yo_Natsu_Fairy_Tail_by_Senjuruto.png

"

His pink hair dances into place as he turns to you with a smile on his face.

A smile so bright and big it makes your heart jump with joy.

But in that moment you see something else. Something deeper. Something behind the smile.


You see the struggles and heartaches he faced as a child.

The pain of living in a world with no parents, no family. No one but himself.

You see the way he fought to fit in and the way they all laughed when he didn’t.


But then suddenly, just as you begin to feel his smile is an act, you see a gleam in his eye.

Something changes in your vision and now there is not just sadness, but also pride.

His smile becomes a rainbow of white as his true strength shines through.


You see the man that risked his life for the sake of others.

The man who, even when close to defeat, could fight on to protect his new found family.

You see the person that everyone loves and wishes they could be.


This short moment ends as he walks away, the smile still perfectly in place.

A smile that is a glowing sunrise of hope and determination.

But even though he’s gone, he doesn’t ever disappear from your thoughts.


No, now every time you see a smile it’s not just a greeting or a reaction.

You know that there is more to the story. There’s something else. Something deeper.

Something behind the smile.


© 2013 Samantha Jankowski


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on March 23, 2013
Last Updated on March 30, 2013
Tags: smile, life, dreams, hope, confidence, struggle, anime

Author

Samantha Jankowski
Samantha Jankowski

St. Francis, WI



About
I'm a complex person with a lot to say. I love fiction and am especially interested in the Japanese culture. I love to read, write, dance, and much more! more..

Writing