Jango

Jango

A Stage Play by Audrey Gray
"

Five teenagers are being held hostage. After 5 days, in they're unwanted, they're killed. Tortured by a madman and the clock ticking down, is there any chance they'll survive?

"

Jango

Day 1

The stage is dark when we first see it, with only a couple bangs of something smacking against a wall, until a scream pierces them. It comes from Cara. The stage suddenly illuminates to reveal the captives tied up in a cage

Cara:
What the….hello? Anyone else awake? What happened?

Austin:
Like we know! Crap, Holly? Robert? Carlos? You okay?

Robert grunts

Holly:
(Very calm) I’m here, Austin. It’s okay

Carlos:
Why can’t I see? WHY CAN’T I SEE?

Austin:
Open your eyes, moron

Carlos:
I DID

Cara:
Do you know what happened? Anyone?

Austin:
Let’s see….we’re on vacation, party….nope, no clue. We’re dead.

The group murmurs chaotically. They have no idea where they are or what they’re doing, but they’re terrified. Suddenly, a voice screams from offstage.

Jango:
ATTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENTION!

He giggles maddeningly, and skips onstage. The hostages are silent. Who is this man, and where were they? Austin breaks the silence.

Austin:
Who the hell are you?

Jango:
Your prom date, silly.

He laughs sickeningly

Austin:
Go away.

Jango turns to him, smile gone.

Jango:
Oh, I’m so sorry, am I interrupting you? Was I bothering you in your time being LOCKED IN A CAGE? SHUT THE HELL UP YOU DUMBASS. I own you now. Now, I think you asked what my name is.

He bows.

Jango:
My name is Jango, and I’ll be torturing you today. And tomorrow. And a bit longer after that.

He moves about like his words guide his actions, dancing like the wind and still maintaining a frightening disposition.

Jango:
Let’s see who you are, shall we? Hm? Let’s see. He pulls a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket, and begins checking the names of the teenagers. Uh….Cara, hm, pretty name, pretty face, it works, it works. Robert. Rather scary. Carlos, who…

Carlos:
Could you please tell me why I can’t see?

Jango:
He turns to Austin THAT is how you ask someone a question, you rude little boy. He turns to Carlos, a wicked smile on his face. Well, when we drugged you, I…oh, we drugged you by the way. ANYWAY, when you passed out your eyes were open, and you got really stiff, so I couldn’t snap your eyelids shut. So, I did the logical thing, and ripped out your eyes. Okay?

Carlos begins rocking back and forth in horror.

Jango:
BACK TO ROLECALL! Cara Robert Carlos, Mr. Asswipe over there, and his sister Hoooooooooooooooooooolly.

 

Austin:
What do you want? Wh

Holly:
Austin, calm down. Just listen to him.

Jango:
No, shut up. I’ll tell you what I want. He smashes Austin’s cage. I want you to suffer. He smiles, and backs off the cage I’m just here to watch over you. See, we kidnapped you. You were on vacation, if I am correct, which happens quite a bit. We’re holding you for ransom, about  5 million dollars each.  They pay in five days, you leave. They don’t, well, whispered you die.

Cara:
What?

Jango:
Explosively YOU DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE! He calms down Sorry. I’ll be calm. Albus would kill me if I didn’t stay calm. Anyway, I’ll just be going, and…he spots Robert’s watch. That’s a nice watch, he walks towards Robert, takes the watch, and examines it. That’s a really nice watch. Yells to the audience I’M KEEPING HIS WATCH! He tosses it to the side and steps on it. I lied. Goodnight.  He turns to a nearby guard and swings at his crotch. He stops short, but the guard flinches. Gets you every time, man. Exits stage right.

Cara and Carlos break down crying, while Robert remains stonefaced and Austin and Holly grimace. The stage goes black. We then hear two bangs in the dark.

Day 2

The stage illuminates to a chair, a camera, and Jango appearing proud as a tearful Carlos leaves the stage, escorted by guards. He is stumbling and confused, perhaps thanks to the fact that he was recently blinded, but also perhaps he is confused, taken aback by the whole situation. Cara is pulled onstage by some guards. Jango walks up to her.

Jango:
(Welcoming and joyous) Ah, our star is here! Come, come, I have a chair set up for you, I have a chair. It’s a chair. Yes. He pulls her along, and she begins to sob. GOOD! Good, you’re crying, you’re getting into character, feeling the emotions, I like that, good.

He sits her down in the chair.

Jango:
Now, what I want you to do is from here on out I want you to say exactly what I say what I whisper okay. Okay? Cara nods, tearful and horrified. From here until the next day, Cara repeats anything Jango whispers. He gets behind the camera.

Jango:
Whispered Momma? Daddy? He gives a pause after every whisper to give Cara time to respond. I love you Momma, I really do, and Daddy…. She bursts into hysterics. He turns to a normal tone of voice Cut that out, okay, you’re sad, not hysterical. God. Whispered I miss you guys so much, and I really want to come home. So please pay the ransom. Okay? I….

A guard walks in speaking a language the audience doesn’t understand. Jango explodes.

Jango:
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU INTERRUPTING ME! GET THE F**K OUT OF HERE YOU PIECE OF S**T!

The guard continues rambling until Jango runs up and snaps his neck. The guard falls to the ground dead.

Jango:
NOBODY. Nobody interrupts my performances.

Cara bursts into tears

Jango:
You see? Even in the afterlife you screw things up. You turn my artists against me. He spits on the man’s corpse. Good riddance. NOW claps where were we, where were we, where, where, whe OH! YES OF COURSE silly me. Turns back to Cara You’ve done very good so far, okay? I’m very proud of you, pretty girl. He goes up to her and kisses her forehead. She cries. Loving the tears. Now repeat after me. Mommy, daddy….

The stage slowly goes dark. 3 bangs in the dark

Day 3

We’re back in the cages, with Austin, Holly, Carlos, and Cara in their cages. Robert is absent. The captives are worried about their friend, and worried that whatever happened to him might be what happens to them.

 Cara:
Carlos? How’re you holding up?

Carlos:
Not gonna lie, I’ve been better. I’m scared, and I’d really like it if I got my eyes back sometime soon.

Austin:
No kidding. I don’t even know what part of the island we’re on, and I’ve been here every year since….how many times Holly?

Holly:
Since we were four.

Austin:
Yeah, right. Thanks. Point is, we’ve been here ages, and we have no idea where we are!

Carlos:
An island.

Austin:
Thank you, oh wise one. Look, we need to get out of here, and…

Cara:
Out of pure, built up rage, Cara interrupts and explodes at Austin I KNOW! We need to get out of here! But complaining isn’t gonna help, and I think our first priority is to find out where the hell Robert went!

Holly:
Cara’s right, brother. We can’t do anything now, we just have to pray.

Austin:
He pauses for a moment, before a bitter quip. Praying never helps. He sighs Alright. I’m sorry guys. I’ve just…been on edge.

Just as they go silent, Jango comes on stage with Robert. Robert willingly goes back to the cage, where Jango leaves him untied. That will prove to be a costly mistake. Jango turns to Austin and Holly and grins.

Jango:
Congratulations, little ones! You’re free to go. Your parents paid your ransom.

Holly:
What? Why didn’t they pay for our friends too?

Jango:
They offered, but I couldn’t possibly accept payment for something that is not theirs! It would seem rude, and uncivilized, and seeing as I am the pure definition of class,that, that would be bad, yes? Yes.

Austin:
You’re a monster.

Jango:
I’m aware. And I do know that monsters like to eat children. So hush your mouth, or I’ll be up a meal, and those nice folks at home will be down a child, got it a*****e? Austin opens his mouth to respond, but Jango interrupts him. Nonononononononononononono, don’t answer. I don’t want to hear your whiny jackly voice. Is that a word? Eh, I don’t care. Point is, you’re free. Now LEAVE BEFORE I GUT YOU! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

Jango opens the cage that Austin and Holly share, unties their hands, and points them the right way. Austin and Holly begin to walk away nervously.

Holly:
I’m sorry guys. Good luck, and may God be with you.

They leave the stage, never to be seen again. Jango turns to the remaining captives.

Jango:
Now that the insufferable pest that is Austeeeeeeeeeeeen is gone, now we can have some fun. You like that, right? You like fun, you like being entertained, and it would appear I have failed to entertain you, yes? Of course, I’m being foolish, silly me, silly me He slaps himself SHUT UP

Carlos:
But we didn’t…

Jango:
Oh hush you. SPEAKING OF, I have a present for yoooooooooooooou. Jango pulls a firecracker out of his pocket, and lights it by running the fuse along the ground. A hiss pierces the night. You like these? Hm?

He approaches Carlos, a sick smile twisting on his face.

Robert:
Leave him alone.

Jango:
You can talk? I’m shocked! And uncaring. Carlos buddy, could you hold this for me?

He puts the firecracker in his mouth, and duct tapes it in. Carlos muffles something

Jango:
Hm? Do you have something to share with the class? Hm? No? Then shut up. I’ll just be going now. Have fun you guys!

Cara screams, and Robert struggles with the walls of the cage. Carlos sits horrified, and the stage goes dark. We hear four bangs amidst a sound of popping. Suddenly, we hear a tumbling sound.

Day 4

The stage suddenly illuminates, and Robert is standing, and untying Cara’s restraints.

Cara:
What? How did you escape?

Robert:
I don’t know. The cage was dismantled when I woke up. I think I was kicking at it in my sleep. I’ll take any chance I can get.

Cara:
Wait! What about Carlo…

Robert shakes his head. The look on Cara’s face is grim, but Robert pulls her along. Cara and Robert escape into the audience, and soon find themselves back on stage. They begin to move off stage when suddenly Albus, followed by several guards, burst out and push them to the ground.

Albus:
Really? You tried to escape? I’ll admit I’m impressed, idiots like you don’t get this far normally. You’re still screwed. IF you get paid for, which I doubt, your parents will probably be saddened by your lack of arms. Ah well. Men, take them back to their cages. No, scratch that, take them to new ones.

The guards begin to drag them away. Robert puts up a struggle, but Albus comes over and hits him.

Albus:
Don’t do that again.

Robert attacks him again out of spite, which causes Albus to hit him again.

Albus:
That’s it. Cara, Robert, enjoy your last few hours, because tomorrow morning, I’m arranging a firing squad, and you two will be shot until you’re nothing but mush. He pauses. Actually no, that’s what’ll happen to Cara. YOU, Robert, are staying with me after she dies.

Cara shakes in fear, and Robert scowls angrily. Jango, who is in the group of guards, seems worried, and walks off stage slowly with the rest of the guards. The stage goes black once again.

Day 5

Cara is crying in her cell, and Robert is trying to comfort her. Jango comes over, and gets looks of worry from the remaining teenagers. However, he surprises them by opening the cage.

Jango:
Hi there.

Robert and Cara stand there in shock. They remain silent.

Jango:
Half a mile to the East is the coast, and I have a boat set up. Food, water, aluminum foil, it has everything and anything you might need. Now get.

They sit there apprehensively.

Jango:
Why? I’ll tell you. You remember what Albus was talking about? I do. I remember plenty, plenty, yes uhuh yes. I know what he means. He’s gonna make you a monster, just like me. He has a strict regiment of heroin, alcohol, torture, and cable TV lined up to turn you into a mindless animal. Like me.

Cara:
But how are you…how can you know what you’re doing now?

Jango:
He snickers. It didn’t work. Well, it did, but sometimes, I get myself back. I remember all the things I did. All the horrible, horrible things. I’ve hit women. I’ve shot kids. I’ve raped, murdered, stolen, and much, much worse. Please… let me redeem myself.

Cara and Robert get up nervously, and leave the cage.

Jango:
Run. Sorry about the watch, Robert. Good luck

Robert:
Thank….thank you

Cara and Robert run off.

Jango:
SORRY ABOUT THE WATCH! Heeheeee…now, one more thing to do…….Jango pulls out a walkie talkie Albus, meet me by the cage. I need to talk to you about something.

He sits down on the ground, pulls out a knife, and turns to the audience

Jango:
Who the hell are you people? Are you….nevermind. Yeah, I know. I’m going to die now, mostly likely. If Albus doesn’t kill me, then one of his other slaves will. But you know, someone has to stand up to him. Someone has to stand up to evil, despicable men like this.

He sighs

Jango:
Besides. I think some rest would do me some good.

The stage goes dark for the last time.

 

© 2013 Audrey Gray


Author's Note

Audrey Gray
Please note that this was made to be a school production, but it wasn't even read :P In particular, please tell me how the dialogue, as I feel that's my weakpoint. Otherwise, have at it ^_^ Also, forgive grammar, if you don't mind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
Added on March 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 5, 2013
Tags: Jango, teenagers, insanity, madness, hostage, five, million, dollars, albus, cara, robert, austin, holly, carlos, stop, reading, the, tags, sillyhead

Author

Audrey Gray
Audrey Gray

Charlotte, NC



About
I'm just a transgender, teenage girl. Read some of my stuff, I hope you like it. Oh, and one more thing. Have a hug (>'.')> more..