Ace of Spades

Ace of Spades

A Story by Aleena DeHaas
"

The curiousity of a child grows and sends him into s scary situation.

"

There is a long country road that lurks just beyond the city limits that is hardly used. The elements have washed away signs of tire tracks and long, lanky branches of  naked trees have crept onto the dirt path. Jack was told by his older brother that what sat at the end of that road was the city’s old hospital. It had been abandoned in the early 1940’s and local gossip claims that it’s cracked brick structure towers five stories tall and has a wingspan like no other building around. Most of the windows are intact, but there is the third from the left on the second level that clearly has been tampered with. It’s fractures, so intricate and oddly positioned that it forms the outline of a man standing in the window, looking out into the dilapidated grounds. 


It was nearing the end of fall when Jack’s curiosity finally took over, compelling him to visit the hospital and see it for himself. He packed a water bottle, extra socks, and a peanut butter sandwich for the journey. Jack kissed his mother on the cheek as he slid out the back door, only letting out a half truth about where he was off to. 

The ace of spades flicked vigorously in his bike tire as Jack sped down main street. The fallen leaves crunched and crackled beneath him as his curiosity grew with anticipation. Jack’s legs began to burn as he peddled faster and faster, whizzing past the coffee shop as it was closing up and looking up towards the sky as it became darker.

He was nearly out of town when the street lights flickered to life, illuminating the last few minutes of the city as he sped off towards the country road. By the time Jack reached the dirt road, a light fog a swallowed him. Jack directed his bike towards the hospital and cursed himself for not bringing a flashlight along. He peddled slow yet quickly Jack’s excitement faded into fear. He could feel a lump in his throat beginning to form as he came closer to black mass that sat at the end of the road came in to focus. 

The hospitals massive frame built a shadow from the slow rising moon, leaving Jack in a pool of blackness. Thick ivy climbed along the walls, wrapping itself around the columns that perfectly framed the large oak doors. Jack acknowledged the growing lump as he took in the sight before him, reaching around for his backpack, pulling the bottle of water out and pounding down the much needed liquid. A gasp for air escaped him as he pulled the bottle from his lips, still staring wide eyed at the building in front of him. 

Jack scanned the infamous second floor windows, squinting as his eyes adjusted more to the darkness. Finding the cracked window, he dismounted his bike, dropping it to the near frozen ground with a thud. Jack winced at the sound causing him to stumble over his own feet in the dark and fall into the dirt. 

He felt a hot flash of pain in his ankle, immediately grabbing it, Jack could feel his whole body pulsating with pain.

“Need a hand?” a voice came from above Jack. 

He looked up to see a man standing over him. He was older, in his late sixties maybe early seventies, dressed in brown slacks and a cream, button down shirt. Jack let out a yelp of surprise as he met his gaze with the old mans.

“Need a hand?” the old man asked again, this time extending his hand out for Jack to take.

“No thanks mister,” Jack stammered as he tried to lift himself from the cold, hard ground. “I think I’m okay.”

The man retracted his hand and his face became sour. His intense stare started to make Jack uncomfortable, so he excused himself and accepted the mans offer. Instantly the mans face lightened, exposing a small toothy grin as he helped Jack to his feet.

“Let’s go have a look at that ankle of yours young man,” as the mans grip tensed around Jacks arm, pulling him towards the building.

“No,” Jack said a little louder than intended, causing the old man to stop and look at him. “I mean, I think I should be getting home now.” 

Jack tried to look everywhere but the old mans face for fear of upsetting him a second time. 

“Well this is a hospital and I am a doctor after all,” the old man said with a straight face. “And I know what’s best for you, young man.”

His voice had a harsher tone to it as he yanked Jack again towards the hospital. Jack had thought the place to be abandoned, he didn’t realize that there were still doctors here. He slowly began to ease as he let the man guide him. Jack looked around as he noticed that no one else was around. There were no cars, no ambulances, no people. He looked up to the second floor, looking at the windows only to see that none of them were now cracked. The intricate fractures were memorable and now, they were not there. He distinctly remembered looking at that window and seeing the shape of a man that the cracks had made. 

As if the old man read his mind, he whipped around and came nearly nose to nose with Jack. 

“No young Jack, you’re not seeing things,” he said with a wide smile. “And yes, this is real.”

Jack screamed as he was pulled the last few feet into the hospital, the large doors slamming behind him.


The late autumn leaves continue to blow in the wind and an ace of spades tumbles along with them.

© 2017 Aleena DeHaas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on December 28, 2017
Last Updated on December 28, 2017
Tags: horror, crime, scary, children, mystery, creepy, hospital, abandoned

Author

Aleena DeHaas
Aleena DeHaas

Canada



Writing