Words to Whisper

Words to Whisper

A Story by Alexander Crocco
"

This is an assignment for a Writer's Craft class that I'm taking, and I think it turned out well. Story between two lovers and their struggle to be accepted by the woman's family.

"

2:30 AM, the clock reads. No matter what I try, my moron of a brain won’t let me sleep. I even made a playlist of my favourite composers for this specific reason. Usually, if I can’t sleep �" which is every night �" I just play around on my phone until the release of sleep finally washes over me; except, I can’t find my phone. I think I’m in that state where I’m not really asleep, but I’m not really awake either. If I had the energy, and believe me, I don’t �" I’d look for my phone. The old apartment walls normally creak, which always manages to startle me. My mom always said it was just the walls “settling”, but I’d like to think that a 42 year old apartment building would be settled by now. There are enough noises in this building to provide nightmare fuel for any kid under the age of 10 attempting to fall asleep. Alas, the noises aren’t what are keeping me awake tonight. I have too big of a day tomorrow; probably the biggest day of my life. One, I have my stats final. I won’t even get into how much I hate stats, that’s a topic that could go on for hours. I also have plans to propose to my girlfriend, Sarah, tomorrow. We’ve been together for about 4 years now, and I think that it’s time we took the next step.

I flipped my pillow over to the cold side. Usually that helps. But it just made me more uncomfortable. I took a long look at my bare walls, and found myself thinking about my old room back at my mom’s place. The walls were littered with crappy little cut-out posters from Nintendo Power magazines. Not even reminiscing in the past could get me to sleep. Maybe I should count sheep. 1…2…3…I actually have a hard time remembering what sheep look like. Is that bad? 4…5…6…hell, this isn’t working.

Alright, brain. You want to play that way? I can play that way,” I thought to myself. I let my mind go blank, and fixated my attention on my breathing. In…out. In…out.

*   *   *

            My eyes snap open, and suddenly its morning. I actually fell asleep? Certainly a change of pace. I still can’t find my phone, but this alarm clock is getting on my nerves. I hate it so much, but at least it wakes me up. Searching for the snooze button with my hand, I feel something cold and wet. Naturally, my hand jumps back.

            “Yikes,” I thought to myself. “I gotta stop being so jumpy.” That sleepless night took a toll on me. Turning over, I notice a tall glass of orange juice on my nightstand. My phone is sitting right next to it, a small piece of folded paper resting on its screen.

            “You owe me one. Love you. �"S.” The crappy attempt at a heart was all that I needed to know where that note came from. Sarah was never very eloquent, but I loved her nonetheless. I have no idea what I’d do without that woman. I rolled out of bed, and stepped all over my clothes lying haphazardly on the ground. I’m not a very clean person.

            “Thanks babe,” I said as I walked into the kitchen.

            “You should really stop leaving your phone in random places, Adam. This isn’t the first time I’ve picked it up under the fridge, you big loser,” she chimed. The smell of her Tuesday morning French toast lifted my spirits like always. This woman can cook. “When’s your exam?” she continued.

            “In about 20 minutes,” I said while stuffing a piece of French toast into my mouth. Just then there was a loud, steady knock at the door. Sarah always looked so funny when she was startled; she would coil back into the closest chair and glare at me, expecting me to handle whatever the situation was.

            “Can you calm down? It’s just Greg; I’m driving him to the main campus for our exam. It’s my turn to dri-…”

            “Well can you tell him to not knock like a goddamn maniac?! You and him both know I get scared way too easily,” she chirped. She rolled out of her chair and started towards the door.

            “What do you want me to do? Change the man? I’ve been trying to do that for 24 years,” I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder, car keys in hand. “I gotta get going, but we’re still on for tonight, right?”

            “Yeah, yeah. Sebastian’s at 5 o’ clock. Now go before I kick both of your butts! Best of luck,” she said, kissing me on the cheek.

            “God knows I’ll need it,” I mumbled under my breath.

            “What was that?” she started.

            “Nothing! Love you, gotta go!” I said rather quickly. I slipped on my three year old penny loafers and opened the door. Standing there in all of his glory was my best friend, Gregory Khan. He always reminded me of Shaggy from the old Scooby-Doo cartoons, mainly because he was a major pothead. He always wore the exact same thing for exams; last year’s school sweatpants, an oversized sweater, and boating shoes. He forgot to shave again, his morning stubble just made him look like a deranged homeless man. I don’t even think he owns a comb; his hair is stuck in a permanent bedhead. Greg had the look of a skater boy, but he couldn’t skateboard for his life. He always found a way to flaunt his dark skin, though.

            “Whatup white boy!” he exclaimed, grinning. I was used to the name.

            “Freaking the f**k out for this exam, that’s what,” I replied. That’s when he gave me his infamous look. His head slowly turned towards me, lips pursed together, eyes wide open.

            “Don’t sweat it dude! Don’t be such a pencil pusher. Just get this over with and we’ll get shitfaced tonight,” he said, excitedly. He wasn’t exactly smooth with his words.

            “I wish I could buddy, but tonight’s the big night with Sarah,” I said.

            The look on his face made me snicker. “Aww, come on! Tying the knot already? What about the clubs, man?! The broads!”

            “I’m over that stuff man. But don’t worry; we’ll still be getting smashed from time to time.” I replied.

            “That’s what I like to hear! Let’s go get this exam over with so I can finally tell that s**t stain of a professor where to go,” he said as I started up the car.

            I often wondered why I’m still friends with him.

*   *   *

            “So? How was it?” Greg whispered as Professor Ferdon collected the exams.

            “It was okay,” I replied. “I really don’t care though, I’m just glad it’s over.”

            Walking back to my car, Greg’s phone rang. His ringtone always made me chuckle. It was the one where the Indian guy would just keep saying “pick up your phone” over and over again. I always told him that he should change it, just in case it goes off in the middle of something important. He always ignored me.

            “Hello?” he started. His face drooped as he sighed after a couple of seconds. “Alright. I’ll talk to you soon,” he finished as his phone snapped shut.

            “What’s up?” I questioned.

            “Looks like I gotta cancel lunch,” he answered. “I have to babysit again. My sister is going to some conference with Matthew and needs me to watch Travis.” Matthew was Shawna’s husband, Greg’s sister.

            “Not a problem. We have all summer,” I said. In all honesty, I was perfectly fine with him cancelling. It just gave me more time to run the proposal through my head a few more times to prepare for tonight.

            “I just need a ride home,” he said, interrupting my train of thought. “I’m all out of bus tickets.”

            I laughed. “I never recall you giving me a ride anywhere!” I said, grinning. “Hop in.”

*   *   *

            “What time is it?” I thought to myself. I looked over at the wall clock Adam had brought home last month, and the hands read 3:30. I should probably start getting ready. We haven’t had a date night in a while; Adam has been too busy studying for finals. The amount of work that man does is incredible. That’s why I’ve decided to surprise him. Tonight during dinner, I’m telling him that we’re going up to my cottage in Gecko Falls for the week to celebrate the finishing of his exams. He’s always loved my cottage, so I’m sure this will be a welcome bit of relaxation for him. I hope his stats exam went well; he’s been freaking out about it since last week. Greg didn’t seem too worried though. Adam really needs to relax though; he’s the type of guy that won’t stop until everything is done correctly. Usually that works in his favour, but it doesn’t help that he’s not been sleeping well lately. Hopefully he’s on time for dinner…

*   *   *

            Sebastian’s doesn’t seem as busy as usual �" probably because it’s a Tuesday evening. Sarah’s car is in the parking lot; I hope she hasn’t been waiting for long. She hates waiting for people; she’s the most impatient person I’ve ever met. I lock the doors to my car and my fingers run over the velvet of the ring case as I put my keys into my pocket. My palms start to sweat as I walk inside and make my way over to our cozy table for two.

            “How long have you been waiting?” I asked Sarah, while putting my coat on the back of the chair.

            “Not long, about 15 minutes,” she replied. I let out an imaginary sigh of relief; I didn’t keep her for long. She looked beautiful, as usual. Her light brown hair cascaded over her shoulders, and she had on an aquamarine cardigan over a white V-neck shirt. I loved that cardigan �" I bought it for her last Christmas. Her eyes were a peculiar shade of blue, a shade that captured my attention every time I looked at her. It wasn’t hard to get lost in her eyes �" I know from experience.

            “Good. I know how much you hate waiting. How was your day?” I asked, folding my hands and putting them under my chin.

            “Nothing terribly interesting. I talked to my mother for a good hour today,” she said. Out of everything in this relationship, there is only one single flaw: Sarah’s parents. They’ve never really taken a liking to me, for some reason. Darryl and Janet were both psychiatrists, and they practiced in the same office. They were both incredibly ignorant, and stopped at nothing to learn every single mundane detail about me. Once I told them that I wanted to be an English professor at Castelia University, it was all downhill. Apparently, since I wasn’t studying to become a doctor, I wasn’t “worthy” enough for Sarah. I once sat at their dinner table and listened to her father lecture me on why teaching is a worthless profession, until Sarah snapped. Needless to say, that’s when she moved in with me. She still keeps in contact with her mother, though �" Sarah tells me that she’s beginning to support us.

            “That’s good. Hey, listen �"…”

            “So how was your exam?” Sarah said, oblivious to my previous sentence. “Was it tough?”

            “Nothing is easy, you know that,” I said. I smiled and finished, “but I think I pulled through.”

            “Babe…I’m really proud of you. I know how hard all of this was for you. But just think -- it’s over now! You have all summer to relax and just go to work 3 or 4 days a week,” Sarah said, smiling. I loved her smile; her teeth were perfect. She could light up any room just by walking into it.

            “At least I’ll be making some money,” I replied. “I’m looking forward to spending all summer with you, though.”

            “Well, I have a little surprise for you,” she said while blushing. Her cheeks never turned red, they were more of a rosy pink.

            With a hint of curiosity, I said, “I’m listening.”

            “Well, I know how much you love my cottage. So I figured maybe we could spend a week there so you can relax a little,” she said, looking down.

            “Are you kidding?” I said. I could feel my smile going from ear to ear. Her cottage was one of my favourite places in the whole world.

            “You know I never kid around,” she chimed, beaming.

            “I’d love to. When do you want to leave?” I asked, reaching my hand into my pocket and skimming my hand along the velvet.

            “Honestly, I want to be there by tomorrow. I just want to relax,” she said. I knew that feeling. I’ve been way too stressed as of late.

            “I think we can make that happen,” I started. “I have my own little surprise for you.”

            She looked puzzled. Laughing, she asked, “What could be better than my cottage?”

            I pulled the red velvet box out my pocket, slid it across the table and said, “This.” I lifted the cover of the box, revealing the diamond ring I intended to place on her finger.

            Sarah looked at me, covering her mouth with her right hand. Tears were forming in her eyes, but not yet rolling down her face. This is it. I got up out of my chair and onto one knee; the stereotypical proposal.

            “Sarah, I love you. I’ve never felt so strongly about anything or anyone in my entire life. You make me the happiest man on this planet, and I’d like nothing more than to spend the rest of my days with you. Will you marry me?” I said, my voice trembling.

            “Adam..,” she started. I got really nervous, pending her reply. “Of course I’ll marry you. I love you,” she said as she flung her arms around me. People sitting around us began to clap. Sarah hated it when she was put in public places, so I knew she was blushing. I pulled her away from me and slipped the ring on her finger.

            “I just want you to know, this is the greatest day of my life,” I said, while looking into her eyes.

            “Me too love, and for the record…this is definitely better than my cottage,” she said, putting on her coat. “Can we go home now? This is way too much to take in, especially in a public place,” she finished, blushing.

            “Sure babe, let’s go,” I said.

*   *   *

            The next morning, I woke up right next to Sarah, who was smiling in her sleep. The engagement ring looked great on her finger. I rolled out of bed and grabbed two suitcases out of our closet, preparing for the trip. I was much too excited to care about what I packed, so I just threw in whatever I could. Sarah opened her eyes and sat up.

            “Good morning sweetie,” she said, with a smile on her face.

            “Good morning gorgeous,” I replied, returning her smile. “Hurry up and pack, I want to get going!”
            “Okay, okay! Geez, someone’s excited!” she said, walking over to me and kissing me.

            “Well yeah, you know how much I love that place,” I said.

            “I’ll work as fast as I can, then! We should leave within the hour, I’ll be ready in 15 minutes,” she said, voice as cheery as ever.

            “I can barely contain myself babe, I can’t wait. I’ll go start the car,” I said, anxious as ever.

            “I’ll be right there, fiancé!” she exclaimed, an adorable look on her face.

*   *   *

            My car was just about out of gas, but we made it to Gecko Falls without much of a problem. The only hindrance was Sarah having to go to the bathroom every 25 minutes. That really adds up when the car ride is 7 hours. She must have a small bladder; because there’s no way that anyone else can have to use the bathroom that often. We pulled up in the gravel driveway, and my jaw dropped. Sitting there in the driveway was the 1997 Honda Civic, which belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Darryl Birbiglia. Sarah’s expression changed almost as quickly as mine did.

            “Did your parents accidentally leave their car here, or are they inside at this very moment?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

            “They weren’t supposed to be here until next week,” Sarah said in a somber tone.

            “Well, they’re certainly here now,” I remarked.

            “I’ll see what I can do, okay?” she said. “I’ve kicked them out before, and I can most likely kick them out again. You know how good I am with my words,” she finished, winking at me.

 

            “I do know that. Let’s see what we can do. What’s the worst that can happen?” I questioned, as I brought up our suitcases out of the car. I opened the door, and a fresh whiff of cottage air filled my nostrils. Sarah followed me through the door, and spotted her mother standing at the stove.

            “What are you two doing here?” Janet asked, looking directly at me.

            “Hey to you too mom,” Sarah started. “Can I talk to you in the other room?”

            “Sure honey. Hello Adam,” Janet said.

            “Hey Janet,” I replied.

            Sarah pulled her mother into the other room, and out from the basement walked Darryl Birbiglia, the man who hates my guts and everything about me.

            “Hey Darryl,” I said, attempting to start up a conversation.

            “Adam? What are you doing in my summer home?” he asked, staring at me. Darryl wasn’t exactly a very intimidating man. He stood 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing about 180 pounds. He wasn’t very masculine either. I had about 6 inches on him, and about another 30 pounds. He was balding on the top part of his head, and often wore cheesy sweater vests, even in the summer. He’s where Sarah got her ineloquence from; he was terrible with his words.

            “Well, um…Sarah invited me to spend the week h-…”

            “Without my permission?” he said, raising his voice. “Where is she?”

            “Um…in the back room over there, speaking to Janet,” I said quietly. He stormed towards the back room and shut the door behind him, leaving me alone in the kitchen.

            I took a little walk around the cottage, and reminded myself why I like this place so much. It resembles everything stereotypical about a cottage up north, which relaxes me. The front room overlooks Gecko Lake, and the house itself is very small and quaint. Unfortunately, my reminiscing was interrupted by Darryl’s voice.

            “He what?!” Darryl yelled. I could hear his footsteps starting to approach the kitchen, and I knew I was in for it. Sarah came rushing in behind him, with a worried look on her face.

            “Adam..,” Darryl started. “Why did you propose to my daughter?” he asked. That was a stupid question. I looked at Sarah with a worried look in my eyes.

            “I proposed to her because I love her,” I said, not expecting much reconcile.

            “Because you love her? Until you prove yourself worthy to my daughter, no wedding will be happening,” he said, sternly. This shut me up; I stayed quiet while he looked me over. “You’re lucky I’m going to let you stay here for the week because you were generous enough to drive my daughter up here.”

            “Dad, can you try thinking about this again when you’ve calmed down?” Sarah asked, a look of sadness in her face. I hated when she looked like that, she deserved to be happy.

            “Just get to bed, I’ll think about what to say to this guy when-…”

            “He has a name,” Sarah said slowly, cutting him off.

            “I know that,” Darryl said. “Goodnight,” he finished as he stormed off to his room with Janet. Sarah pulled me into our room and sat me down.

            “Look, I know he’s annoying; trust me, I do. But I’m going to try my hardest to get rid of him,” Sarah said. The look in her eyes was comforting. She looked really good, even in sweats with her hair tied up; the true definition of beauty. “Just tough it out until tomorrow, okay? We’re going to be married soon. I’m so excited!”

            I smiled. “You’re the best. I just need to find a way through to him, that’s all,” I said. I had a lot of self-doubt in my head after saying that, but I couldn’t let Sarah see that. “Let’s go to sleep. That drive took way too much out of me.”

            “You’re right. Sorry for peeing so much, I just like my water. Goodnight sweetie,” she said, kissing me on the cheek.

            “Goodnight bella,” I whispered, returning her kiss.

*   *   *

The morning welcomed me with dozens of birds happily chirping outside. I opened the curtains to reveal a sunny Monday morning. The sky was as blue as I’ve ever seen it, and it enveloped the rest of the atmosphere. A light breeze was creating tiny ripples in the otherwise glass-like water, making it a difficult task for the little ducklings to swim to their mother. Perhaps the most beautiful thing however, was my fiancée sleeping blissfully beside me. I enjoyed the few seconds of relaxation, but then was overcome by the feeling I’d experienced just last night.

Why doesn’t he like me?” I thought to myself while putting my slippers on. I gave Sarah a little shake to wake her up; I didn’t want to go out there alone.

“You’re up early,” she said, rubbing her eyes.

“I couldn’t sleep very well,” I whispered. “For reasons I’m sure you know.”

“I know babe, I’m going to talk to them today. I think I should let you know that my mother was overwhelmed with happiness when I told her that you proposed…she’s warmed up to you,” she said, stretching her perfect lips into a tiny smile.

“Really?” I said, returning her smile with a grin of my own.

“Yeah. She never really disliked you, she just had to take my dad’s side of the argument,” she said.

“I figured,” I returned. She got out of bed and we started towards to kitchen. Of course, Darryl was sitting at the head of the table.

“Good morning Darryl,” I said, again trying to make some conversation.

“You mean Mr. Birbiglia?” he said, without looking down from his newspaper. I didn’t return his remark. “I’m going outside; the grass needs to be cut. Try not to screw anything up, teacher boy. Got it?” I once again didn’t say anything back. He got up off his throne and headed outside.

“I think I should go help him,” I said, turning to Sarah. “Maybe that will warm him up a little bit.”

“You can try. Hopefully he acknowledges your helpfulness,” she replied. I walked back to my room and put on my old jeans I had left in the drawer from last year, and threw my hat on.

“If you need any help, I can do whatever you need,” I said, walking outside.

“No,” he replied, very coldly. Going against his refusal, I picked up the weed whacker and started trimming the edges of the grass. Almost as suddenly as I’d started, he walked over and threw the machine out of my hands.

Listen,” he said sternly. “No matter what you do, you will never be a part of this family. Never. Someone who wants to be a teacher shouldn’t be allowed to marry my daughter. Got it?” something told me he wasn’t finished, so I didn’t reply. “Someone as worthless as you shouldn’t even be allowed to leave his house, let alone date. You have an hour to get the f**k off my property before things really start to get ugly.”

I had to hold my anger in at this point. If I hadn’t, Darryl would be face down in the water. I took a deep breath and turned around to gather my things. Sarah looked at me, wondering what had happened.

“I can’t do this Sarah. I can’t. I can’t be living with this shell of a man that you call a father. You have to choose Sarah. Him or me,” I said sharply.

“Adam, wait!” she yelled, running after me into our room in tears. “Adam, please! Just talk to him! I’m sure-…”

“God damnit Sarah, can’t you see? He hates me! I can’t live like this! I have to go. I need to think about everything. I can’t deal with this. Come back to my apartment if you want to, it’ll always be your home,” I said.

Help! Heeeeeeeelp!” we heard a cry from outside that sounded like Janet. Running outside, we found Janet looming over Darryl, who was on the ground.

“What happened?!” Sarah yelled.

“He had a heart attack! He collapsed while cutting the grass! Oh God, oh God, oh God, what do we do?! Call 911!” she yelled.

While Sarah went inside to call the ambulance, I took it upon myself to care for Darryl. Although I don’t like him, I’ve always been the kind of person to help another individual in need, no matter what the circumstances. I picked the unconscious Darryl up and brought him over to my car, started up the engine, and drove to the Gecko Falls hospital, leaving Sarah and Janet behind.

*   *   *

            The slow but repetitive beeping of the heart monitor was making me nervous. Darryl survived the heart attack, but not by much. At least that’s what the doctor told me.

            “This isn’t the first time we’ve seen him here. His condition…isn’t very stable. Hopefully he pulls through,” the old doctor muttered into my ear. He walked out of the room with a limp, and I turned to a stirring Darryl lying on the bed. His eyes peeled open and he gave me the same stare he’s been giving me for 4 years.

            “What are you doing here?” he said rather slowly.

            “You had a heart attack in the middle of your lawn,” I said. “You collapsed. As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t just let you squirm and die. I picked you up and drove you here.”

            “Why? Why did you do such a thing? I don’t…I don’t like you,” he said, even slower. He was sweating.

            “I didn’t do it for you,” I said, clenching my teeth. “I did it for your daughter who broke down in tears when she saw you on the ground. I did it for your daughter who even though you treat me like s**t, loves you either way. I did it for Sarah, so she didn’t have to see you die on the ground,” I finished, as the heart monitor starting beeping slower.

            “I…I can’t…why? I don’t get it,” he mumbled. I could barely hear him. I moved in a little closer. “Adam. I didn’t like you because I never saw you fit to marry my daughter. But…this is too much. You’re a special man for doing this. I…I want you to marry Sarah,” he said as his voice lowered down to a whisper. A tear started to form in the corner of his left eye. “I approve, Adam. Enjoy your life with my…with my angel.”

            Those were the last words I’d ever hear him speak; giving me approval to marry his daughter, after all these years. The last breath he’d ever breathe escaped Darryl’s lips, and he slowly sunk into his bed. I wiped away a tear, first out of his eye, and next out of mine. I lowered my head, and whispered to myself.

            “Thank you.”

© 2013 Alexander Crocco


Author's Note

Alexander Crocco
Tell me what you think of the dialogue, I've been working on it for a while.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on January 22, 2013
Last Updated on January 22, 2013
Tags: Romance, Words, Whisper, Love, Struggle

Author

Alexander Crocco
Alexander Crocco

Toronto, Canada



About
I've fallen in love with writing over the past few years. It started back in elementary school, (instead of doing my homework, I would write crappy stories), but it's recently expanded. Currently work.. more..

Writing