Petit Bourgeois

Petit Bourgeois

A Chapter by alternative_be

Petit Bourgeois
(Inspired by Linton Kwesi Johnson)

(Dedicated to my great grandmother whose marriage was arranged, according to the custom in the late 19th century.)

 
 
Just over a hundred years ago
My great grandfather spoke French
To a gorgeous intellectual wench
For he decided her I will woe
 
Asking her hand in marriage
The soon to be grandfather
Speaking French too to take things farther

After all his daughter would be walking the baby carriage

 
Or rather an antique pram
The father of an heir soon to come
Into the world should have to say some
For himself now eating spam
 
Does this son come out of a worthy house?
Having to save bread out of his mouth
Coming up North, what went wrong down South?
Is this young man a worthy spouse?
 
For my daughter is my treasure
Not to be given away cheap
This decision is one to keep
Not one out of fluffy pleasure
 
What to think of this military man?
His manners, family, money and rank
There is a lot for him to thank
Yes, I think he can
 
Become the father of my heir
His intentions are sincere
Otherwise he would not have bothered coming here
Giving him my daughter only seems fair
 
She cries out for passion
The shameless ingratitude
Where the hell did she get this attitude?

Oh, if only I was able to understand this new fashion

 

 

 
 
 

Note:

I admit to belonging to a family with a petit bourgeois family tree.

During the late 19th century, it was customary to speak French in those circles and so were arranged marriages.

Education was very important, also for the women in my family, only their education was never used professionally unless the women remained unmarried. E.g. my father’s most interesting aunt was an eternal spinster who preferred a career to being married, which was pretty daring for a lady born in 1901…

Linton Kwesi Johnson (the Reggae/ dub poet) comments on this class in his dub poem ‘Petit Bourgeois’.

I admit to liking Linton Kwesi Johnson’s lyrics. At the same time I feel that a lot of oppression was going on in a lot of social classes. Both my great grandmothers at the paternal side had no say in whom they were married off to.

 
 

 



© 2008 alternative_be


Author's Note

alternative_be
This is the first part of a poetic family saga. After reading the reviews I got so far, I decided to write a book of poems, which all are related ...
This is the first part...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the idea of writing a series of poems that, when collected, tell one long saga, and you are a great poet, I think you can pull it off. I don't think you need the notes at the end, though I understand that you wanted to add them to make sure that people understood what was going on, perhaps add them at the very end in an appendix. This is fantastic.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well it is definitly a good start. You have a nice even flow and the story interesting.

Sorry it took me so long to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree that you should write a book! Not only the continuation of this wonderful and touching story about your family, but the beautiful poems you write. You are a great talent and I admire your persistance as you learn to write and speak? english! ~ Jude xo :-)


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the introduction has shown direct epic-like saga that would be very interesting to read. This is a worthy book of great historic significance.

The start looks interesting.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Arranged marriage...hmm. I think its both interesting and unique that u decided to do this. And i can't wait to read more.

D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the idea of writing a series of poems that, when collected, tell one long saga, and you are a great poet, I think you can pull it off. I don't think you need the notes at the end, though I understand that you wanted to add them to make sure that people understood what was going on, perhaps add them at the very end in an appendix. This is fantastic.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! It blends history, biography and poetry in a swift, crafty way. The rythm is another thing to be proud of.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2008
Last Updated on September 28, 2008
Previous Versions


Author

alternative_be
alternative_be

Somewhere in the country ..., Belgium



About
Dear all, I'm a 46 year old woman living in Europe. My passions are: reading, writing, poetry, blogging, languages, nature, walking, making friends. Curious? Who am I? You can read it all in th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..