Chrysalis

Chrysalis

A Story by Adelia Alighieri
"

An old story that inspired me while giving my English Language exam lol. Enjoy.

"
I sat there in the abandoned restaurant, anxiously waiting for my partner to arrive. Time was running short and it was getting dark outside. While I was sitting, I marveled the caricature that hung in front of me and kept poking my knife in the cutlet, smothered in cheese, that I had ordered a few minutes ago.

Omer and I grew up together in Islamabad. Though we were not much of friends, I always found him around, particularly when no one was supposed to be. One day, while watching a children's musical show on TV, we discovered we had a similar taste in music. So inevitably, our friendship blossomed. Since our parents were co-workers, we always showed up at each other's places; listening and dancing to music. We played Ludo and Monopoly and Uno and he keenly cheated in them all. The first time I made chocolate mousse, he spat it all out in front of me. There are so many memories I shared with him, ones I can never forget.

Things changed however when I turned 13 and moved to Istanbul and our families completely lost contact. Fortunately while I was doing my Bachelor's degree, I found out he's in Lahore studying music like me. Fate intervened and I had to travel back to Pakistan when my grand father died. A couple of days upon my arrival, my mother told me Omer wants to meet up. I was thrilled.

I could hear an incessant tune from around. Being a virtuoso, I was disgusted to hear how incompetent the musician was. 
Not until I noticed a faint shadow on my right, I kept doddling with my cutlery. He stood there, arms akimbo, smiling his childhood smile. 'Ordered the food already?'

I stood up to greet him. 'Heyyy!' I exclaimed. 'Gosh I barely reach our shoulders!'
He laughed as he sat in front of me. He continued smiling until he realized I was awkwardly blushing. 

'I'm so glad to see you!' he finally said. 'So am I, Omer,' I smiled back. 

'So, has the little Beethoven mastered the art of music already?' I mocked after a few minutes of obvious silence.
'Academically, I'm still a graduate,' he winked as he poured himself some water. I watched him as he gulped it down, his Adam's apple loitering as he did.
'So how are you? It's been such a long time, wow. I mean all I remember is a fat, little girl who sang Barney songs with me!' he said, putting down the goblet. 
'Yeah well, things changed. She's making music nowadays.' I answered.
'Not as good as the little Beethoven does, eh?' he winked again and reminded me of the little boy I used to play with. 
I smiled at the thought. 'Maybe not. What instrument are you skilled in?'
'Every one of them, happy?' he raised an eyebrow and a tremor of smile seized his lips.
'Oh! Very munificent of your teacher. Mine taught me just 3.' I mocked and we both laughed out aloud, grabbing the attention of the waiter who cleaned the table next to ours. I guess he smiled.

'Are you not going to order anything?' I questioned.
'Not hungry.'
'Okay.' I put my plate aside, clearing and making room to rest my elbows. For a second or two, silence surrounded our auras. 
Then I looked at him. His eyes twinkled in a very naughty manner. Competition, here it comes.
'Play that piano for me,' he pointed towards the large instrument at the corner.
'I think they don't even let you touch it,' I made an excuse. 'Besides, I prefer flutes.'
'I do too,' he got up and came over to me. 'But let us not be uncouth and insolent towards the art we admire. 
'The piano, madame?' he grabbed my hand and like a gentleman, led the way to the piano. He cleared the seat with his hand and invited me to sit. I sighed heavily, to his least expectation and utmost disapproval.
'Fine, I'll go first,' he smirked and sat down. 'Just be patient,' he said. 'I won't disappoint you.'

Then his fingers began to trace a path on the keys, as he lightly played his melody. As I started understanding his message, I leaned against the case. I looked at him in awe. He ceased. 

'This, is my favorite part. I have revered it from the beginning of my learning. It brings back old memories to me,' he murmured. Then he began again.

I enamored his music more than he did and felt I had been listening to it for years.

'I call it 'Chrysalis'. It tells me what I am yet to become, Arwa.' he whispered.

Yet to become after tonight, I thought. He smiled, as if he heard me. Heard me understand his message.

When it ended, he sighed and looked up at me like a young, innocent child. 
'Thank you,' he said.

I smiled and proceeded towards the seat, as he made place for me to sit next to him, allowing me to play my version of his 'Chrysalis'; the song of our childhood together.

© 2013 Adelia Alighieri


Author's Note

Adelia Alighieri
I hope you liked it! Good critique appreciated! =D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brilliant story. The best part is how you've involved music in it. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, this is lovely two friends brought together with the love of music, food and conversation. Enjoyed this delightful read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice. Though I think it deserves a proper ending.
You had challenged yourself to write the part where two people meet after so many years, since it really is a tough thing to write on.
The end you put here makes it look like an incident from a much larger story, rather than a short story. I like the conversation part. It sounded really good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Aside from the grammatical errors-(no biggie), this is a lovely story and appropriately titled. From barney to Beethoven and back again. The dialogue is palpable and I smiled with both of you. Your inner thoughts were a pleasant change of pace and the lead in up until your reunion with Omer did it's job in describing the bond you both had as children. This is a wonderful little story and almost made me cry in Joy that the two of you had not only not grown apart after all those years, but in fact, were on a higher level than previously. The title signals the symbolism of the stories double entendre. I fully enjoyed this read. well done. P.S. My grammar stinks, so don't worry about it. Linda Marie always lets me know when I'm askew. I give you a 500 on this one Arwa..!

Posted 13 Years Ago


i gave mine on facebook ;) great work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


There are quite a few grammatical errors throughout. Each can be easily remedied. Having said this, however, they are minute and are not so distracting as to take away from the quality of the overall writing.

I like how you describe your inner thoughts as you are waiting for Omer to arrive, and I like the back and forth between the past and the present, the memories of being childhood friends and the wonderment of what he'll be like in the present.

You chose an appropriate title for the poem as well, as it is very symblic of the change you both have gone through.

It brings a smile to see that neither of you have lost your fondness for one another. In fact, I'd say the absence made your hearts grow fonder.

Great job!

Linda Marie



Posted 13 Years Ago


i really love this. is it a true story?

Posted 13 Years Ago


This has a great introduction of characters. The characters sound very interesting and makes me want to know more about them. The scene of the restaurant get me drawn into this. It's such a powerful scene and it makes the reader understand the character more. Introducing a character is a very good way to start a story. The conversation between the girl and Omar was captivating and it made the story a pleasure to read

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Yet to become after tonight, I thought. He smiled, as if he heard me. Heard me understand his message." this sentence is somewhat awkward ..

now as for a story i won't judge it cause it's related to music .. music inspires the core of our existence and this story just reinstated it !

just a query - is this story real ?

thanks for sharing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


forgiveness forgiveness

A Poem by Emily B