A Pretty Way to Die

A Pretty Way to Die

A Story by Ashley Parrott

She said she knew she wanted to do it, but now two days later, wearing a sad blue band aid she laughs as she tells me the story. She thought about how to go about it for hours. She said she wanted a pretty way to die, so instead of crawling in the bath tub naked, she put on her favorite party dress and hung hers arms in the tub.
She looked for her tool for an hour and laid out every sharp object her apartment had to offer on the bath room floor. After at least three attempts with each and several loudly declared ouches she had the saddest attempt at a scratch anyone has ever seen. She pulls the band aid away now to show me. It is true... I wonder if it even needs the band aid.
She then went down stairs where he was asleep on the couch and sits by him. She shifts about a bit to jostle him awake. With mock reluctance she shows him what she has done. She holds her breath and  waits for him to panic, for the declarations of love and concern to pour from him. He opens one eye glances at it and with sleepy indifference, then asks "What did you use?" She goes through the entire list of things, her heart sinking, already realizing this is not having the desired effect. He yawns as he says "None of those are sharp enough" then rolls back over.

© 2009 Ashley Parrott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice little peiice here. I like the ending especially. I like the way the girl in this peice was methodical in her approach. The nice dress ,the search for tools, laying them all out, yet dispite all her efforts with what she has found she bareley scratches the surface. This peice bareley scratches the surface to. it would have been cool to find out why she wanted to self harm or why she contemplated suicide. What crimes had she comitted that demanded such penance. She said she had wanted to do it there must be reasons. She sound like she is young vibrant full of life. Maybe she has done it before note her husbands/ patners reaction "none of those are sharp enough" its like he is resigned to her doing it and suceeding ... one day. Is she crying for help notice me love me respect me. I think that this is not something that you can laugh off and cover with a blue band aid "Oh look iv'e been cutting again" we can't be flippant about a subject like this I like your style and commend you for tackling a difficult subject in a light hearted manner. But for a lot of people this is real life cutting slashing badages band aids can fix visual scars aand scratches emotional scars take longer to heal ....

Posted 12 Years Ago


Haha, funny, yet thoughtful as well. I like it. I would say just work out some problems with the tense - it jumps around a bit. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow ... very nice & funny too ... very well written indeed ... very interesting ... it easily catches the reader's attention ... I liked it ... I wish you mentioned what it was that she used though ... maybe that would have made it even more funnier ... maybe ... who knows

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2009
Last Updated on February 22, 2009

Author

Ashley Parrott
Ashley Parrott

Bloomington, IN



About
My name is Ashley Parrott and NOT pronounced like the bird, thanks. I want to be one of those humble start success stories, just having a bit of trouble getting past the humble start. I am driven, but.. more..

Writing