The soul of the desolated.

The soul of the desolated.

A Story by Asmi Bhattacharya
"

To appreciate life.

"
He made his way into the cafeteria. And like every other time,she was late. Without further ado he called the waiter and ordered for the ‘regulars’ ,perhaps to save time.The waiter grinned and brought to their table two cold coffees and a chocolate muffin. The clock struck 12. So,he lit a candle and sang a little birthday song as he thought of all the times that she’d leave her muffin half eaten,complain that the coffee was ‘too cold’ or would wonder if she should try something new this time,he thought of her smile that dumbfounded him,her eyes that never lost their sparkle.. and suddenly broke down into tears as he remembered her last words” You better miss me,idiot.” Today,she would've turned 22.

She pulled herself together that very morning,told her mother she was good to go.Somehow, her eyes didn’t quite cope with her words. Her mother put on her special blue saree and a little blue bindi to go with it. Instead of taking the bus,they took an auto this time. They made their way through the huge hallway into the narrow lobby where they were asked to wait. After a minute or two,they were called inside the Principal’s office.The Pricipal handed the report card to the mother and asked them to leave. They took a bus on their way back.
She failed her 8th grade this year. Again.

The sun was on the verge of setting. The sky was coloured a beautiful shade of orange,red and yellow. It was time for Mr & Mrs.Banerjee’s evening tea.They sat on the balcony on the 4th floor of their 6 storey mansion looking at the passer-byes admire their ‘palace of luxury’. The maid brought them their tea and snacks for the evening,nicely placed on the China Bone cutlery. Dressed in a little red frock,a 5 year old young lady peeped from behind the curtains to see her mother serve tea and snacks for the old couple. Mrs. Banerjee’s eyes,as sharp as they were,sighted the little kiddie and asked her to come outside gesturing the chocolates at her.The little girl grabbed the chocolates ,gave Mrs. Banerjee a quick hug and ran back into her hiding. This took Mrs.Banerjee 30 years back into time. She wanted a girl. Mr.Banerjee wanted a boy. But fate wanted neither,so the reports read “infertile”.

~~ “When the grass looks greener on the other side,it’s time to water your own yard”~~

-Asmi Bhattacharya

© 2016 Asmi Bhattacharya


Author's Note

Asmi Bhattacharya
Do share your views .

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed these nice flashes, Asmi. sad and whimsical but beautifully conveyed. you describe the vicissitudes of life well. tiny mistakes that did not deter from the beauty of the pieces.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Asmi Bhattacharya

8 Years Ago

Hey Woody,
Thank you for the kind words .
Appreciate it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2016
Last Updated on April 4, 2016
Tags: Depression, infertility, Grass is always greener on the o, appreciate life, loss, loved ones, failure

Author

Asmi Bhattacharya
Asmi Bhattacharya

Bangalore, Karnataka, India



About
I'd like to believe I'm a truth seeker, a believer of humanity over religion, a philosopher and a literature freak! Writing is my escape from the world. Call me stupid for believing this,but I want t.. more..

Writing