The optimist

The optimist

A Story by chaotic katie

“Ah, what is that!” Elizabeth exclaimed, wiping the glitter off of her. “Its fairy dust!”, her little sister Sammy exclaimed. “I’m saving some though, because maybe if I give some to the magician, he  can use it to make my cancer go away”, Sammy explained to her older sister. Elizabeth forced a smile and knelt down beside her sister. “That, sounds like a great idea!”. Elizabeth watched as Sammy trotted away, stumbling every few steps due to the tiny glass slippers on her feet. She remembered the days before Sammy lost her golden blonde hair, before the cancer. It had not however taken a toll on her bubbly spirit. Elizabeth would often hear people talk, assuming that the small six year old child didn’t know what was happening to her. It was ignorance. Sammy knew very well what was happening, more than anyone else. After all, it was her who had the cancer and suffered through the pain. “Who’s ready to see a magic show?”, the magician asked. The room filled with cheers and squeals from excited little girls in princess dress. “And for my final trick”, the magician announced “I will attempt to make Sammy, the birthday girl’s, cancer disappear”. Just then, he pulled out a pocketful of “fairy dust” and blew it out into the crowd. Moments later, Sammy collapsed. In the hospital, the family gathered round trying to hide their tears as Sammy’s eyes fluttered open. “Lizzie?”, she questioned weakly. “I’m here sissy, I’m here”. “Don’t pretend anymore Lizzie, don’t try to hide it anymore, I know I’m going to die”, Elizabeth became overwhelmed with tears as she shook her head. Sammy laid there looking almost sympathetic for her older sister. “Don’t cry sissy, cancer goes away in heaven, maybe I’ll even get my hair back, and be able to fly”, Sammy said. I wish I could say that that it turned out differently, That Sammy lived despite the impossible odds, but this isn’t a fairy tale, and Sammy sadly passed less than twenty four hours later. Pink  roses filled the room, lining the isles, and everyone wearing something pink. When it was finally her turn to speak, Elizabeth found strength in her sister’s optimism she spoke of what Sammy had told her. The speech inspired all of the grievers and lifted up spirits. Later, Elizabeth went on to write several books including many children’s stories and a book about her sister. She, along with her sister, watching from heaven inspired many.

© 2013 chaotic katie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoops, I must have channelled your topic by accident. :( This story makes me sad but it's a good ending despite being sad.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
1 Review
Added on March 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 5, 2013

Author

chaotic katie
chaotic katie

Canton, OH



About
Greetings darling writers, allow me to explain a bit about myself. I started writing when I was 13 and fell in love with it. Over the years I have won 2 awards for it. I keep most of my old works pos.. more..

Writing