My life as a ...

My life as a ...

A Story by bailish
"

The world from my point of view is so wonderful.

"

People come in two varieties:  those who run away scared of me, and those who want to kill me.  Am I some horrid beast that can devour them in a single bite?  Hardly.

I don't even eat much.  Just a few crumbs a day.  In fact, people don't even notice what I eat.  So why do they object to me so much?

It's easy to tell when someone enters the room.  A woman will instantly turn on the light.  If I'm in her vision, she'll often let out a screech which wakes up everyone.  As a result, I must creep out slowly, a few steps at a time, ready to run back to the safety of the equipment which fills the room.  It can be several minutes before it's safe for me to come out again.  They're not very clever, really.

After the screaming stops, then all the people go back to bed, and I can continue my search for food.

A few steps here, a few steps there, and voila!  I'm at the base of the sink.  If I make it this far, I know I'm safe.  Just a quick run up the leg and I'm in the cool moist heaven.  A plethora of fragrances surround me now.  Just walking over the plates allows enough food to stick to my feet for an entire meal.  Oh, these people are so wasteful.  I'm thankful they throw out so much edible food.

Oh no!  The light again!  I must make a run for it!  Back the way I came.  Bam!  That skillet almost got me.  Turn and quickly identify an alternate route.  I'll try the other end.  Bam!  Whoa!  That was close!  I'll just go over the side here and try this way.  Bam!  Ha ha!  That one was far behind me.  Bam!  My bad.  That one's in front of me.  Reverse direction.  It's time to climb the walls.  Up, up.  These people are too short to catch me up here.  I can wander around all day up ... What's that?  It's a long stick with bristles on the end.  It looks rather dangerous.  Back, back, quickly!  Oh no, there's no where to run!  It's pushing me off the wall.  Hey, this doesn't feel too bad.  I'm on the floor, which is where I was headed in the first place.  Now, if only I can make it to that crack over there, then I'm home free.  Bang!  Bang!  I'm half way there, but those shoes look ominous.  Change direction so they swing in the wrong dir....

© 2008 bailish


Author's Note

bailish
Please be brutal with me. I can take it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

.....!! (

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A MOUSE! You are a mouse!!!!!!!!
I guess by the end of the first paragraph....am I right?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes people do come in two varieties, perhaps even three or four; but you were not to be feared_ nor ignored. Holly

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting.
Reading things like this makes me feel sorry for the fact that I sometimes become sad for insignificant things when some creatures fight for their lives every day.

A.M.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Personally? I friggin hate bugs! But as of late, I find myself trying not to step on ants and feel bad if I squish a spider...but a roach? I am pretty sure the Devil created them! I admit I felt sad for the little thing..you should consider writing something like this from an animals perspective-I think you could really make a difference. your style is unique and enjoyable...I wonder what your thoughts on animal rights are?
Anyways...sorry to get off track--this, oddly enough, was a fun read. Humor mixed with that dry wit of yours--you are talented for sure! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

.....!! (

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 13, 2008
Last Updated on July 29, 2008

Author

bailish
bailish

You've seen one polluted city, you've seen them all., Thailand



About
I want to be a writer, just like you. My goal is to write 10 pages a day. I often fall short, but I just try harder the next day. more..

Writing
Let's play! Let's play!

A Poem by bailish



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..