Into the Future

Into the Future

A Story by Brytt
"

Inspired by "Welcome to the Future" by Brad Paisley, a country artist of epic propotions and master guitarist.

"

I watch as my little brother played his Xbox.  It was one of those war games, a first-person shooter, he calls it.  I roll my eyes and go back into the kitchen where my mom is still washing her dishes by hand.  There is no room in our house for a machine, so we have to do it the “old-fashioned way”.  I pick up my rag again and dry off a bowl from the dish rack.

 

“What’s he doing in there?” she asks while I put the bowl in our cupboard.

 

“One of those shooting games.  Something about aliens, I think,” I tell her.

 

“When I was younger,” my mother sighs, shaking her head, “Centipede was cutting edge.”

 

“Those were the days,” I grin.

 

“Hey, it was a good game!”

 

“No, I hear you.  It was simple,” I agree.  “You had left, right, and fire. You didn’t have to push A, A, X, up, right, down, down, A to pass, you know?”

 

“Exactly,” she huffs, moving on to a pile of forks.  “Oh, did you check your bank account?”

 

“Yeah, I need to put in a little bit,” I tell her, “Or my next card payment won’t clear.”

 

“You shouldn’t use credit cards anyway,” she starts again.  “You’ll only end up deeper in debt.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I know.”

 

“My grandfather used to tell me how the Depression started out just like these days.  If you don’t learn from history, you’re doomed to repeat it.”

 

I shake my head again, thinking about how everything has changed.  My mom, when I was little, would tell me about the 8-track tapes she had grown up listening to.  I only used CDs and MP3s.  She would talk about needing a bottle opener to get the pesky lids off of glass Coca-Cola bottles, while I drank effortlessly from a can of Diet Pepsi.  She still loved to watch our old VHS tapes, even though the blue-rays were much more reliable and easier to use.

 

I close the door to the cupboard and dismiss myself.  Then I go to my laptop computer and look at the changes in the last thirty years.

 

In 1980

Gas was only $1.25 a gallon, and a stamp cost $.15.

“The Dukes of Hazzard” was the third most watched TV show.

The cordless phone was first beginning to sell.

 

In 2010

Gas now costs about $2.75 nation-wide.  A stamp is $.44.

American Idol has the most viewers in the nation (though 1 million do not watch the Wednesday reveal).

4G Smartphones have begun to dominate the minds of our youth.

 

I got to thinking about the future.  I am only eighteen.  I just started college two months ago.  With the trends these days, what is coming that has not yet arrived?  I watch the news and hear about these hydro-electric cars they work on.  I wonder if we’ll even need gas anymore.  I hope not.

 

I want so much for my kids and my grandkids.  I don’t know if I’ll have any, but I would really like to.  I want them to live in a world where school isn’t cancelled on occasion due to the air toxicity levels.  I want them to love playing outside in the rain, unafraid of pollution or reckless drivers or tsunamis.  But most of all, I want them to be happy.

 

I want to see them grow.

 

The average lifespan of a healthy human is only increasing.  I think that I might be able to do it.  I might be able to see the future.

 

I hope it’s the best.

 

 

B. Ott

Based on the song:

“Welcome to the Future”

By Brad Paisley

© 2011 Brytt


Author's Note

Brytt
Be absolutely brutal. I love you guys, and I want to do Mr. Paisley justice here.

Link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Yg9wjctRw

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it and I think you did Brad Paisley's song justice. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was enjoyable(:! I really liked how you had the prices from back then and now, although today where I live, gas is still more then 2.44. Haha. Anyways, I think Mr.Paisley would really enjoy it sweetie, (: Keep up the good work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2011
Last Updated on June 11, 2011

Author

Brytt
Brytt

Britt, IA



About
Quotes From the Innermost Circle of the Fantasy World Known as My Mind: Irony: the graduation quote at my high school has been "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path .. more..

Writing