Acing Life

Acing Life

A Poem by Mik Zeal
"

A poem about asexuality.

"

I'm asexual. Excuse me while I go photosynthesize. I'm obviously a plant, incapable of feeling, since the only asexual organisms I ever learnt about in high school were the ones studied in biology class.

I'm asexual, a term I heard for the very first time at the age of 19 since sex ed refused to acknowledge any sexual orientation that didn't involve attraction between a man and a woman.

 I'm asexual.  No, I'm not a robot. I don't have an algorithm for emotions or the ability to calculate the stats of a friendship. I am very human, unfortunately so, because let's be real, being a dragon or like, even a tarantula would be so much cooler.

I'm asexual. I don't wait around all day for the "right" person to come along, summoning the deeply rooted arousal from the depths of my being. Because, there is nothing wrong with the wonderful people in my life...I just don't want to have sex with them.

I'm asexual, and friends with benefits is a concept that is admittedly very confusing to me. Friends, as far as I'm concerned, already come with all the benefits I need. They listen when you need to talk, go on adventures with you and if you're really lucky, they'll send you some kickass memes.

I’m asexual. And the friendzone is baffling.  In my opinion, it sounds like the best f*****g zone ever. After of course the dog petting zone, the cat purring zone and the chocolate zone.

 I'm asexual, and I spent a good chunk of my adolescence trying to understand the appeal of sex. It seemed the only way to legitimize a romantic relationship was through this act of humping and heavy breathing.

I'm asexual and I've tried the whole having sex thing. I thought it was something I had to do. I thought it was normal. And I thought by having it, I would finally understand the appeal. Spoiler alert: that didn’t happen.

I'm asexual, and I am not broken. I'm still capable of love. I can form deep bonds with people and have long lasting relationships. The only difference is that I don't feel sexual attraction and that is completely and entirely ok.

 

I’m asexual and I don’t think sex is wrong, it just not something I desire.

I’m asexual, and my asexuality is not the same as celibacy.

I’m asexual, and I am valid.

So, to any ace spectrum people out there, its okay to not feel sexual attraction.  Your sexuality is valid. You are valid. And don’t you worry, I’m sure you’ll ace everything. 

© 2017 Mik Zeal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

84 Views
Added on October 11, 2017
Last Updated on October 11, 2017
Tags: asexual, personal, poem, poetry, lbgt, gay

Author

Mik Zeal
Mik Zeal

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada



About
Hello. I'm Mik Zeal. I'm your average, confused plebian who likes to write occasionally. I look forward to reading everyone's wonderful cerebral vomit. more..