Tiny Charms of Faerydae

Tiny Charms of Faerydae

A Story by Regina
"

A short, creative non-fiction, which talks about my life as a writer.

"
                                                Tiny Charms of Faerydae-revised
       Faerydae has a small, green, leather case in her hand filled with green pearls. There is a tiny cup and an old fashioned metal timer at her side. A miniature book about gardens lies on a rock, engraved with the word “imagine” and it rests in front of her.
       Faerydae’s home is in her garden, where the wizard carries his crystal ball. The librarian keeps an open book in her hand, and the green beetle holds a bottle of oil. Pears, pinecones, berries and frosted ferns grow next to her and hold a candle with a message that reads, “opportunity knocks everyday-answer it.” There is a silver bell next to the message to bring it to life. All of this is created from a cluster of miniature statues in my home.
       I remember the day, I brought Faerydae home. It was a lovely day at Poor Richards Book Store. A professor from the University of Colorado Springs was critiquing my first book. When he was finished, I browsed about and saw a shelf full of fairy dolls. Faerydae was the tiniest and prettiest, with her rainbow colored hair, shimmery blue skirt, striped green socks, shimmery green wings and blue hat, so I bought her.
       I made Faerydae’s garden full of magical wonders to inspire me to write my own fairytales.  It reminds me what I have left behind, until it grew stale and tired. There was a place full of illustrations and story inspirations, dusty, hidden and forgotten inside drawers.
        It wasn’t always like this. When I was a young child at home, I could sit on the floor and watch the sun cast rainbows across the floor. I was aware of magical places, I could see in my imaginative mind. If I stared down at the stacked up spice rack, I could see a monumental castle full of rooms. My mind was full of worlds. It only existed in my mind, and was as real as if that world truly existed.
       When I started school as a young child, I read many fairy tales and fell in love with all of them. I dreamt of living in those magical places, while my mind filled with wonderment of each tale. Sometimes, I forgot where I was, because in my mind, I was in Neverland with tiny people like Faerydae.
        Faerydae reminds me that I have allowed too many years pass by, while I worked on my marriage, or while I worked two jobs to compensate for financial woes. I received many empty promises which were never delivered, a disappointing experience at a dead-end job. My day job is like a carrot, which dangles in front of me, always out of reach.
      One day I woke up, and realized that the fairytale is still inside me. All I need to do is spill it on a piece of paper. This is also the day I made a resolution to push my husband from my life, until he changed his habits. I made a resolution not to renew my licenses at my job. It is no longer acceptable to put my energy into a place where I can’t grow, learn, or expand.
      I go to writing groups, online and local, and I spent happy hours illustrating. It's magical to watch a blank piece of white paper turn into colorful, vibrant pictures and scratches turn to stories. Poems, surreal stories, children’s stories and short nonfiction stories are written from my imagination, and make me realize that the world is much better with this beauty. The quiet and wonderful hours spent writing and illustrating are among the happiest times of my life, much happier than the curse of rude people, hard work and ever-coming bills.
      Believe me! Today, I’d much rather spend my time alone, writing and illustrating, or I like to spend my time with other writers and illustrators who understand me, because they have likeminded interests. It beats working with a bunch of girls who can’t understand that writing takes time and is a career. Basically, they don’t understand anything about writers or writing.                  
         At first, my dialogue writing was weak. I needed to learn to improve my own editing, and strengthen the plots within my tales, which is why I went to University of Denver writing group while learning collaboratively with professors. My determined nature loves a good challenge, and I tried again and again, until I got it right. I’m a redheaded dwarf with armor.
        Faerydae reminds me who I am. I’m practical, and if there is a problem, I’ll fix it by getting my hands and head on it. I can see or fix almost anything, if I stay with it long enough. All it takes is persistence and determination. It was this discipline, which pushed me through the finish line of my first series of fairytales.
         My husband cleaned up his life, and delivered what he promised. We are together again and this time on better terms. Yeah, he loves me enough to change his life. Today, I spend my money on my dreams rather than on deadbeat folks. I still have to work a day job which sucks up time and energy. On the bright side, Faerydae reminds me that I’m sending completed manuscripts and queries out to agents and publishers, and I make plans to create money to replace my day job.
         When I look at Faerydae, she reminds me that there are far off islands with tiny, talking animals. Rainbows decorate the sky every day, and scheming sorcerers antagonize the neighborhood. She reminds me that pirates kidnap kitty-cats and hold them ransom. Camels bring dinosaurs to life. Fireflies turn to fairies, and dragon flies turn into dragons. Wizards and witches roam the world. I can walk anywhere with the power of pen and paper and go to a magical realm. There is a place, where I can escape into heaven, and I’m obviously happy.

Written by
Regina

© 2017 Regina


Author's Note

Regina
How is you're writing experience? Do you have these challenges as a writer?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on August 18, 2017
Last Updated on August 18, 2017
Tags: writer, illustrator

Author

Regina
Regina

Denver, CO



About
My writer's name is Regina. I'm a mother, writer and illustrator. I work a day job for my income, and I work as a writer outside my day job. I go to the University of Denver Writing Group. Profe.. more..

Writing